How Has Chinatown Stayed Chinatown?

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
To be honest I have never really met someone from NYC that was black and didnt have Island or African ancestry compared to Southern AA ancestry, I would assume they all bounced as they were the ones who were there when Harlem and such were thriving pre Crack Era.

Yeah, that is true. When I leave the trip state area and see a huge Black American population, it feels kinda weird since I'm so used to hanging out with kids of Caribbean people.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah, that is true. When I leave the trip state area and see a huge Black American population, it feels kinda weird since I'm so used to hanging out with kids of Caribbean people.
yea like hell look at Dipset all of their parents are from somewhere outside of the States for the most part. One could make the argument Southern Culture = AA culture, so thats why It's always been strange to me how NYC cats stay eating everything but Soul Food for the most part lol.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Someone on another forum made a damn good point about language. Language connects us and also separates us.

We don't have our own language to connect us and separate us from white society.
You're absolutely right. You can see it in our own groups like Haitians, they use Creole to their advantage like Hispanics use Spanish. I envy that shyt.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
You're absolutely right. You can see it in our own groups like Haitians, they use Creole to their advantage like Hispanics use Spanish. I envy that shyt.

Thing is one can argue Black Americans created their own language but allowed non Blacks to monetize it. "Ebonics" and other regional slangs are languages of the people who came up in those communities/cultures. Hell look at when Migos or Chi town rappers get interviewed white folks put captions on the screen so people can understand what they are saying. At the end of the day if you are Black no matter where you are from and hear other blacks talk you will essentially pick up the ear to hear the mother tongues. I`m not Jamaican but when I watched Money and Violence I could understand EVERY thing the Jamaicans would say on the show.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Thing is one can argue Black Americans created their own language but allowed non Blacks to monetize it. "Ebonics" and other regional slangs are languages of the people who came up in those communities/cultures. Hell look at when Migos or Chi town rappers get interviewed white folks put captions on the screen so people can understand what they are saying. At the end of the day if you are Black no matter where you are from and hear other blacks talk you will essentially pick up the ear to hear the mother tongues. I`m not Jamaican but when I watched Money and Violence I could understand EVERY thing the Jamaicans would say on the show.
:francis: I disagree. Ebonics in no way could be argued as being a language like Patois or Creole. It's colloquialism, plain and simple, easy to decipher too. Black Americans honestly don't have shyt to unite ourselves except free will.

If you were around some Spanish people who didn't want you to pick up what they were saying, they could put reverb, slang, and all types of shyt in their speech and still speak Spanish and only other Spanish people could pick that up. It would be akin to talking in code over the phone. Ebonics can't do any of that.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:francis: I disagree. Ebonics in no way could be argued as being a language like Patois or Creole. It's colloquialism, plain and simple, easy to decipher too. Black Americans honestly don't have shyt to unite ourselves except free will.

If you were around some Spanish people who didn't want you to pick up what they were saying, they could put reverb, slang, and all types of shyt in their speech and still speak Spanish and only other Spanish people could pick that up. It would be akin to talking in code over the phone. Ebonics can't do any of that.
to be honest, unless you literally just came to America, I dont respect anyone that isn't an elderly person that is unlearned, who won't speak english around me. 9 times out of 10 when folks switch up the language its because they dont want you to know what they are talking about, when I see that I just won't do business with the person.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
yea like hell look at Dipset all of their parents are from somewhere outside of the States for the most part. One could make the argument Southern Culture = AA culture, so thats why It's always been strange to me how NYC cats stay eating everything but Soul Food for the most part lol.

Yeah, I only go to soul food places when I go outside of NY.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
So is it only parts of Brooklyn being Gentrified? i.e. the stuff closer to Manhattan?
Bk is big not all of it is gentrified. Where my BK fam lives (East Flatbush/Flatlands/Canarsie area) is overwhelmingly black and many are homeowners. so not all of BK is white, 30 %of BK is black

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
ebonics is decreolized to the fullest. while i have reservations, i do think Jamaicans should (and they have in Jamaica) start to standardize Patois and use it as a unifying force