how hard is it to build your own PC?

Daps
Reppin
Okay, I think I'm ready fam. I'm thinking I should wait until Black Friday right? I can probably get a lot of stuff cheaper then right? Anyway I see the OP cop all his parts for about $700. I've never did this but I'm guess that's a good price. I'm sure somebody can help me out. I'm willing to spend maybe upward to $900-$1000.

I know I want to use this computer to really get into PC gaming (all the modding). Also want to pimp it put with all the XBMC stuff you were talking about in that other thread. A SSD (how many gigs should I get?). A TB Harddrive. Bunch of RAM, Windows 8 all that jazz. Can anybody help a brother out?

How is your computer treating you? Any problems or words of advice? Any regrets? Would you suggest this to me?

Sorry about all the questions.

no problems at all. Loving my rig so far. I've installed so many games and none have given me any issues. Also I have OC the MB to 4.3ghz. It runs smooth as hell.

Ask me anything you want. The fun part is putting all the parts together.

Daps
Newegg has some really good deals and free shipping, a site that I would recommend though is Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker - you can use it to pick out your parts and it shows you which sites offer the cheapest deals for that particular part.

My specs:

Intel i5 3570k (make sure to get the K as that allows overclocking)
AsRock Extreme 4 Motherboard
GSkill Ripjaws 8GB RAM 2133Mhz
Gigabyte GTX670 OC'd edition
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD (picked the green due to its almost silent operation).
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case

Cool I'm putting it together on PCPartPicker. What should I do about the Sound Card, power supply and Optical Drive?

Brock Landers

AKA Tyler Hands-thorough
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Torrance, CA
Cool I'm putting it together on PCPartPicker. What should I do about the Sound Card, power supply and Optical Drive?

:pachaha: oh shyt I forgot the PSU, it's a Corsair AX750. The motherboard comes with in-built sound so you don't need a soundcard, and you can purchase any good optical drive (LG, Samsung etc) for less than $20-25.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Newegg has some really good deals and free shipping, a site that I would recommend though is Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker - you can use it to pick out your parts and it shows you which sites offer the cheapest deals for that particular part.

My specs:

Intel i5 3570k (make sure to get the K as that allows overclocking)
AsRock Extreme 4 Motherboard
GSkill Ripjaws 8GB RAM 2133Mhz
Gigabyte GTX670 OC'd edition
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD (picked the green due to its almost silent operation).
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case

gonna be building me a new rig soon, 2nd gen i5 and a mobo that can handle cross fire and 16 gigs of ram.
i don't need a power supply or a graphics card, don't need a monitor or keyboard.

i went to the site you linked and checked out the price comparison.
i may just take the ride out to Long Island and hit up Microcenter.
it looks like i could save about $200 if i do that.

Brock Landers

AKA Tyler Hands-thorough
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Torrance, CA
gonna be building me a new rig soon, 2nd gen i5 and a mobo that can handle cross fire and 16 gigs of ram.
i don't need a power supply or a graphics card, don't need a monitor or keyboard.

i went to the site you linked and checked out the price comparison.
i may just take the ride out to Long Island and hit up Microcenter.
it looks like i could save about $200 if i do that.

The 2500k/2700k i7 is quite nice and does handle heat dissipation a lot better, but you should try and go for the 3570k. Also 16gb is quite the overkill, unless you plan on doing some very specific things with it like using photoshop or rendering things, it'll be a waste as no games are coming close to using anything near that. You should take the drive out, $200 can get you a nice mechanical keyboard as well.

that cpu cooler looks beasty

It's about the size of a football :russ: the next step up would be to go to liquid cooling which I will eventually consider.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I built my own a year ago...I'll never buy another one.

yessir...ive had a custom built computer for 4 years...it was a joy to build...just recently put in a new hard drive since my old one was starting to crap out..shyt is lovely....i remember some kid with his mom that came to look at my old apt marvelled at my computer talmbout "someone can actually own something like that?"..had me like :obama:...its also gone through 2 motherboards, power supply, and 2 dvd burners...about to get one of those blu ray drives to replace my last dvd burner..i love this building computer stuff brehs

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think I'm going to build one around Black Friday.

In the process of copping a camera, but after that, next up is making a beastly PC. :yes:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I think I'm going to build one around Black Friday.

In the process of copping a camera, but after that, next up is making a beastly PC. :yes:
You might never play on an xbox again

Sent from my Zio using Tapatalk 2

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
You might never play on an xbox again

Sent from my Zio using Tapatalk 2

This

Ever since I built my PC early last month, my Xbox been looking :flabbynsick:
I turned that shyt on twice since then to play DOA5. I sold off all of my other games except UFC. I'll probably finish up the last 2 episodes of The Walking Dead and only turn it on to play DOA or UFC every once in awhile. :manny:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
It's about the size of a football :russ: the next step up would be to go to liquid cooling which I will eventually consider.

yeah, I feel like a lot of that stuff is unnecessary. as long as your cpu isn't consistently 70C+, there's not much to worry about

I always see computer heads bragging cause they never get over 40C or whatever. but at some point your just bragging about an arbitrary number

Brock Landers

AKA Tyler Hands-thorough
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Torrance, CA
yeah, I feel like a lot of that stuff is unnecessary. as long as your cpu isn't consistently 70C+, there's not much to worry about

I always see computer heads bragging cause they never get over 40C or whatever. but at some point your just bragging about an arbitrary number

You right breh, I guess for me having a near-silent computer is a very attractive option :manny: My computer idles at about 25-30C but when it is put under some heavy load all of those fans can get quite noisy. I guess it's just a pet peeve lol

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
For those who've copped PC parts on or around Black Friday/Cyber Monday... what are some things that usually drop to good prices on those days?

How much will I save by waiting a month instead of starting now? I can always just get something going now and just wait til then to cop what ever comes down in price.

Also, is Windows 8 going to be a good look for media/photo processing?