how hard is it to build your own PC?

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
Ok brehs, I need help. I want to build a PC that will run BF3 on medium at least. Budget is around $395. Amazon links preferred if possible.

Thanks for your help in advance brehs

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Ok brehs, I need help. I want to build a PC that will run BF3 on medium at least. Budget is around $395. Amazon links preferred if possible.

Thanks for your help in advance brehs

that's a pretty low number. is there anything you don't need?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Optical Drive: I can install Windows using a flash drive

Feel free to take out anything else you think is not needed

I'm sayin, everything is crucial with a number that low. I'm gonna assume you have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and what you just brought up (an OS). but I guess you're not planning on reusing your case, hdd, psu, etc

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
I'm sayin, everything is crucial with a number that low. I'm gonna assume you have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and what you just brought up (an OS). but I guess you're not planning on reusing your case, hdd, psu, etc

yup, I have these. everything else will be new

I have Amazon Prime, so shipping wont be a factor

Daps
Plus there's plenty of knowledgeble people here on the Seum, give a budget and we can give you a list of good parts to put together

Okay, I think I'm ready fam. I'm thinking I should wait until Black Friday right? I can probably get a lot of stuff cheaper then right? Anyway I see the OP cop all his parts for about $700. I've never did this but I'm guess that's a good price. I'm sure somebody can help me out. I'm willing to spend maybe upward to $900-$1000.

I know I want to use this computer to really get into PC gaming (all the modding). Also want to pimp it put with all the XBMC stuff you were talking about in that other thread. A SSD (how many gigs should I get?). A TB Harddrive. Bunch of RAM, Windows 8 all that jazz. Can anybody help a brother out?

got my computer set up brehs :gladbron:

set it up all day today. took me a while. now i'm installing windows on it

i got:

i5 2500k
8 gb kingston hyper
asus z68 v3 gen3
radeon 6870
osz 550w ps
cooler master hyper 212+
1tb seagate drive
antec 300 case

all cost me about $700 with taxex

How is your computer treating you? Any problems or words of advice? Any regrets? Would you suggest this to me?

Sorry about all the questions.

Brock Landers

AKA Tyler Hands-thorough
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Torrance, CA
Okay, I think I'm ready fam. I'm thinking I should wait until Black Friday right? I can probably get a lot of stuff cheaper then right? Anyway I see the OP cop all his parts for about $700. I've never did this but I'm guess that's a good price. I'm sure somebody can help me out. I'm willing to spend maybe upward to $900-$1000.

I know I want to use this computer to really get into PC gaming (all the modding). Also want to pimp it put with all the XBMC stuff you were talking about in that other thread. A SSD (how many gigs should I get?). A TB Harddrive. Bunch of RAM, Windows 8 all that jazz. Can anybody help a brother out?

How is your computer treating you? Any problems or words of advice? Any regrets? Would you suggest this to me?

Sorry about all the questions.

You can get something mid-range/upper-mid for $700 but if you really want to :jawalrus: on folks out there, $900-1000 will get you something truly wonderful. As far as SSDs, you really only need 128/256GB and it should be (for the moment anyway) ONLY used for your OS - due to the write limitations that SSDs have nowadays/the cost in relation to a standard HDD, it is not worth using them to store things that aren't completely necessary. Buy a secondary HDD, something like a 1-2TB Western Digital or Seagate and set it up to hold all of your pictures/documents/videos/files etc. to prolong its life.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
How hard is it to install a ssd if your old hd is a reg ol western digital sata?

Daps
You can get something mid-range/upper-mid for $700 but if you really want to :jawalrus: on folks out there, $900-1000 will get you something truly wonderful. As far as SSDs, you really only need 128/256GB and it should be (for the moment anyway) ONLY used for your OS - due to the write limitations that SSDs have nowadays/the cost in relation to a standard HDD, it is not worth using them to store things that aren't completely necessary. Buy a secondary HDD, something like a 1-2TB Western Digital or Seagate and set it up to hold all of your pictures/documents/videos/files etc. to prolong its life.

Yeah that!... I wanna do that :obama:

Brock Landers

AKA Tyler Hands-thorough
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Torrance, CA
Yeah that!... I wanna do that :obama:

:pachaha: well that's always the best option breh, if you spend a little more now and future-proof your system to the best of your abilities/budget, you can get something that will allow you to play on high/ultra settings for 3 sometimes 4 years. I built a system recently that is quite :wow: and thanks to the magic of OC'ing I'll most likely not have to upgrade it for that length of time besides probably a better graphics card.

KMIgr.jpg

This is that 'big boy' shyt breh :youngsabo: thing is so large it comes with rollers (my desk is full sized so that just gives you an example of what a full-tower case is like). If you want I can list my specs and you can go out and buy the same thing.

Daps
:pachaha: well that's always the best option breh, if you spend a little more now and future-proof your system to the best of your abilities/budget, you can get something that will allow you to play on high/ultra settings for 3 sometimes 4 years. I built a system recently that is quite :wow: and thanks to the magic of OC'ing I'll most likely not have to upgrade it for that length of time besides probably a better graphics card.

KMIgr.jpg

This is that 'big boy' shyt breh :youngsabo: thing is so large it comes with rollers (my desk is full sized so that just gives you an example of what a full-tower case is like). If you want I can list my specs and you can go out and buy the same thing.

:gladbron: hook a brother up! Also what site has the best deals. I know about newegg, any other places I should check out?

Brock Landers

AKA Tyler Hands-thorough
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Torrance, CA
:gladbron: hook a brother up! Also what site has the best deals. I know about newegg, any other places I should check out?

Newegg has some really good deals and free shipping, a site that I would recommend though is Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker - you can use it to pick out your parts and it shows you which sites offer the cheapest deals for that particular part.

My specs:

Intel i5 3570k (make sure to get the K as that allows overclocking)
AsRock Extreme 4 Motherboard
GSkill Ripjaws 8GB RAM 2133Mhz
Gigabyte GTX670 OC'd edition
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD (picked the green due to its almost silent operation).
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
How hard is it to install a ssd if your old hd is a reg ol western digital sata?

Well, installing it is easy. You just need to make sure your mobo has an extra slot for a sata drive. Other than that, you just open up the case and plug it in, and screw it in place. Usually your BIOS will detect the drive automatically.

But if you're trying to move your OS to the SSD, that could be a pain (you'd have to shrink your OS partition so it would fit on the SSD and then create an image of it) and it's probably easier to just reinstall it on the SSH. I would recommend just installing Windows or whatever OS you use on the SSD and then just having your old drive as a secondary drive.

Honestly, you can probably get away with a smaller one than that depending on your OS. Personally I rock a 64GB SSD and use Ubuntu as my OS and I still have 47GB free (obviously most of my stuff is on one of the other drives). That said I'm not sure how much space Windows takes up, knowing Microsoft it's probably mad bloated.

Brock Landers

AKA Tyler Hands-thorough
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Torrance, CA
Well, installing it is easy. You just need to make sure your mobo has an extra slot for a sata drive. Other than that, you just open up the case and plug it in, and screw it in place. Usually your BIOS will detect the drive automatically.

But if you're trying to move your OS to the SSD, that could be a pain (you'd have to shrink your OS partition so it would fit on the SSD and then create an image of it) and it's probably easier to just reinstall it on the SSH. I would recommend just installing Windows or whatever OS you use on the SSD and then just having your old drive as a secondary drive.

Honestly, you can probably get away with a smaller one than that depending on your OS. Personally I rock a 64GB SSD and use Ubuntu as my OS and I still have 47GB free (obviously most of my stuff is on one of the other drives). That said I'm not sure how much space Windows takes up, knowing Microsoft it's probably mad bloated.

For sure breh :yes: I was just using 128/256 as a guide since I'm not sure what kind of configuration he wanted, as well as Ubuntu using the ext4 format for their drives which gives you a few more gigs worth (usually) than NTFS.