how hard is it to build your own PC?

Walter H White

All Star
Daps
But I mean, are you a hardcore gamer that's gonna be playing games with cutting edge graphics? Do you have some kind of CPU-intensive application you run? If not then you're gonna just have a bunch of processing power you never use. If you have nothing better to spend your money on or you just want to show off then :manny: but that stuff is nowhere close to being necessary for your build to last.

If you know how to maintain your computer and have some expansion slots it should last 5+ years regardless.

Trying to leave console gaming behind, but I kind of zoned out after making the build online. Went from a $700 build to a $2000 build :lolbron:

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
$1200 for hopefully the 4-6 years of use, not worth it?

Plus do I really need water cooling with this setup?

Might just go with one graphics card to get my cost under $1000.

Already have the CPU, SSD, HDD, PSU and the Optical Drive

I'd go with one card for now personally and a cheaper motherboard...there ain't really any games coming out right now that or in the foreseeable future that you're not gonna be able to easily max out with that build so the extra card is kind of a waste. It ain't like it was a few years back where you needed a TOP of the line comp to run a game like Crysis. My mid range computer which ain't close to that can run any game released this year on high settings including stuff like Far Cry 3 which is pretty much at the top graphic wise...shiet I play Far Cry 3 high graphics on my laptop which is high end but still not nearly as good as those specs. Point is computer specs are far outputting what developers are coming out with graphics wise so there really ain't a need to spend that much unless you just got money to blow :manny:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Trying to leave console gaming behind, but I kind of zoned out after making the build online. Went from a $700 build to a $2000 build :lolbron:
happens to all of us...stay focused.

a $2000 build might be a mistake right now...build and research after console specs are final

Walter H White

All Star
Daps
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be back with a more modest and realistic build catered to my needs for you guys to review.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I think it's better to buy a new graphics card every couple years, rather than try to 'future proof' beyond that

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm waiting until Ps4, 720 to release to determine if an upgrade on my recent build is necessary. I can run Far Cry 3 with everything on High/Very High at 720P at 60fps which looks worlds better than the console version.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think it's better to buy a new graphics card every couple years, rather than try to 'future proof' beyond that
you can't future proof, the motherboards change, the processor slots change, the pci slot tech changes.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
say brehs do you think the price of 2TB-3TB hard drives will drop sub $100 this year? not just on sale but on a regular

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
2tb ^ u might find round 100 after coupon/rebate.. but def not a 3tb..

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
you can't future proof, the motherboards change, the processor slots change, the pci slot tech changes.

The PCI slots have been unchanged for years now son. All that is modified is the bandwidth they are capable of. No cards out can even exceed the bandwidth available in the previous generation of PCIe slots nor will they for the current gen for years to come.

On the Intel/CPU side of things there is always a new socket in the pipeline since they are pretty aggressive with die shrinks and new architectures.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
The PCI slots have been unchanged for years now son. All that is modified is the bandwidth they are capable of. No cards out can even exceed the bandwidth available in the previous generation of PCIe slots nor will they for the current gen for years to come.

On the Intel/CPU side of things there is always a new socket in the pipeline since they are pretty aggressive with die shrinks and new architectures.

yeah, atx has been around since the mid-90's

my issue with 'future proofing' is the best you can do is invest in raw power. but the tech tends to move in the direction of also being more efficient. so you end up with an over-priced overkill beast, and in a few years much cheaper tech can do the same with less power/heat/noise/etc. not to mention other new bells and whistles new tech tends to have (txaa, adaptive v-sync, etc)

it seems better (and cheaper) to just keep up with the tech, rather than trying to get ahead of it

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
2tb ^ u might find round 100 after coupon/rebate.. but def not a 3tb..

yea i found a seagate 2tb for $89 , there was western digital green for that same prices on amazon for a couple of weeks and it jumped to $120 two days ago

i was reading a on pc site that it might be wise to hold off cause prices might dip mid year for 3 tbs

Omar Little

It’s all in the Game Yo
Daps
Reppin
B-More
And Since Im kind of a novice with this Just Wondering if its ok to browse the web, do school/work stuff etc just like a laptop? My stepdad who invited to his torrent site said to keep it on for a good download/upload ratio, very adamant about it.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
man the thing that gets me is finding a decent motherboard, ill find one i think is good then read some negative reviews and i dont want it, are there any decent motherboards under like 115?