how hard is it to build your own PC?

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I definitely need a reference number for that i5 you had. I can't see the A10 smoking a recent i5.... I can't justify buying an i5/i7 for basic coli posting/browsing/office work when an AMD chip is so efficient and cheap. Don't really need the extra power tbh and the savings are :myman:

this is what i had. Btw,it was a laptop. Intel Core i5-2410M 2.40GHz

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
@GoldenGlove and anyone else looking to build.... the Coli is cool, but you may want to consider a site like Overclock.net or tomshardware for build advice. They have thousands of members that do this shyt for fun and can tell you exactly what you want to know. They are so big that you probably can just lurk and get your answer on what you want.

I've been looking up RAID cards and processors and have enough info to go build a couple of machines

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@GoldenGlove and anyone else looking to build.... the Coli is cool, but you may want to consider a site like Overclock.net or tomshardware for build advice. They have thousands of members that do this shyt for fun and can tell you exactly what you want to know. They are so big that you probably can just lurk and get your answer on what you want.

I've been looking up RAID cards and processors and have enough info to go build a couple of machines
Good looking on these sites. Been reading up on a lot for the past few hours. (woke up at 4am and peeped your post)

Found this PSU on sale on there...
Newegg.com - SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Overclock.net is great...I am a member there

Sent from my LG Nitro using Tapatalk breh

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
I keep changing my mind. I may just cop an i5 and call it a day. I don't game AT ALL and even though the A10 is the best choice for graphics, the integrated HD 4000 graphics are good enough for me. Worst case, I can cop a dedicated card for a decent price. I think the pure processing power of the i5 is better for my use case. I'm gonna couple it with a SSD and one of the drives I have laying around.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's easy to spend a whole day on there cause it's so much damn material to read....

Yeah.

I ended up ordering that SeaSonic joint.

Gold rating, modular, the 750W all for 99... after looking for days, I couldn't find anything close to that range. It's like 189 regular price.

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas

OCN is the truth. I've been a member there for a couple years now. It's mostly shyt I've learned there that I spit here in the coli when peeps need help. Reselling and copping shyt off their marketplace can save you grip of cash. We are constantly upgrading our systems and offloading perfectly good parts for great prices. OCN done turned me into a full blown PC junkie. :troll:

Yeah.

I ended up ordering that SeaSonic joint.

Gold rating, modular, the 750W all for 99... after looking for days, I couldn't find anything close to that range. It's like 189 regular price.

Good choice. Not only is it one of the best 750W units you can buy, they hold their resale value pretty well. If you ever decide you need to sell it you can easily get what you paid for it and prob some more since you got it on sale.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
OCN is the truth. I've been a member there for a couple years now. It's mostly shyt I've learned there that I spit here in the coli when peeps need help. Reselling and copping shyt off their marketplace can save you grip of cash. We are constantly upgrading our systems and offloading perfectly good parts for great prices. OCN done turned me into a full blown PC junkie. :troll:

Good choice. Not only is it one of the best 750W units you can buy, they hold their resale value pretty well. If you ever decide you need to sell it you can easily get what you paid for it and prob some more since you got it on sale.

Do you back your drives/data up? If so, how (what configuration)? I'm about to repurpose my desktop as a server and I need some kinda redundancy but I don't know where the fukk to start :pachaha:

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
Do you back your drives/data up? If so, how (what configuration)? I'm about to repurpose my desktop as a server and I need some kinda redundancy but I don't know where the fukk to start :pachaha:

How important is the data you are putting on the server to you?

What kind of motherboard do you have? Need to know what SATA controller is being used to know if it is even worthwhile to do a hardware raid vs a software raid.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
How important is the data you are putting on the server to you?

What kind of motherboard do you have? Need to know what SATA controller is being used to know if it is even worthwhile to do a hardware raid vs a software raid.

Typical media - movies, tv shows, music, etc... Nothing that I can't rerip or reacquire, but definitely not something I want to take the time to get..

Currently have this mobo from my desktop build about 2-3 years ago.... Newegg.com - ECS GeForce6100PM-M2(V3.0) AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE/nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

My server will be a pure file server so I don't need a lot of power or anything....

Was originally looking to buy a completely new server, but then I realized I could get a RAID card, use my old stuff and put that money towards a new machine...I'm looking at copping the Dell Perc 5i/6i RAID card from Overclock or ebay for cheap. This would allow me to hook up 8 drives.....

Just kind of confused on what I want to do. I could also do unRaid, FlexRaid or some of the other sw alternatives too....

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
Typical media - movies, tv shows, music, etc... Nothing that I can't rerip or reacquire, but definitely not something I want to take the time to get..

Currently have this mobo Newegg.com - ECS GeForce6100PM-M2(V3.0) AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE/nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

My server will be a pure file server so I don't need a lot of power or anything....

Was originally looking to buy a completely new server, but then I realized I could get a RAID card, use my old stuff and put that money towards a new machine...I'm looking at copping the Dell Perc 5i/6i RAID card from Overclock or ebay for cheap. This would allow me to hook up 8 drives.....

Just kind of confused on what I want to do.

If you are going to be using a raid card then I'd recommend RAID 5. You will need at least 3 drives in the array to make it work.

Storage in this setup can be calculated with the following formula,

(No of drives - 1) x capacity of smallest drive

For example, 3 x 3TB drives would get you 6 TB assuming all of the drives had the same storage capacity. Read up on it.

I myself don't care for all of the media I throw onto my array so I have no parity. I can download a bit over 10 megs a sec now so it ain't shyt to just redownload what I lose. Things that are important to me are usually smaller files which go to a cloud.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
If you are going to be using a raid card then I'd recommend RAID 5. You will need at least 3 drives in the array to make it work.

Storage in this setup can be calculated with the following formula,

(No of drives - 1) x capacity of smallest drive

For example, 3 x 3TB drives would get you 6 TB assuming all of the drives had the same storage capacity. Read up on it.

I myself don't care for all of the media I throw onto my array so I have no parity. I can download a bit over 10 megs a sec now so it ain't shyt to just redownload what I lose. Things that are important to me are usually smaller files which go to a cloud.

I'm in the same boat. I really don't know if I need a RAID config. Now that I've thought about it a little bit, I could just buy a couple more drives and do a manual backup of the shyt that I really need....

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm in the same boat. I really don't know if I need a RAID config. Now that I've thought about it a little bit, I could just buy a couple more drives and do a manual backup of the shyt that I really need....

Depends on what you're using the server for, but unless you're hosting a website or database or something a hardware RAID might be a little much. No need to spend hundreds to back up your pr0n. :heh: