how hard is it to build your own PC?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'm sayin, what happened to the 600w psu's you were looking at?

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
What's your price point? Seeing a couple on Slickdeals

Going off of this thread, the 6870 has been highly recommended. I've been seeing it in the 170 range.

2guns recommended the Geforce GTX 560Ti and it's going for like 179, but there's a mail-in rebate on it that pushed it down to 150.

But I'm really not trying to deal with a mail-in rebate.

I really don't know much about these cards, and I'm confused about them to be honest. I noticed that different manufacturers make the same cards, and I don't really know what's good with all of that. At all.

For the PSU, I'm willing to drop 80 on it. 600W and up. I'm trying to find a modular joint but that might be tough at that price point. I thought I was good yesterday with the Cool Master joint I found at TigerDirect, but it had a mail-in rebate and I passed on it.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
:guilty:

I started looking again to see if I could find a modular joint for around 80. But my local Best Buy still has the one I linked on clearance for 61.
Corsair - Gaming Series 600-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply - GS600

this is the psu I have (and paid $100 for a year ago :dry: )

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Current-HCG-620M-BRONZE-Modular/dp/B006TVQTFE]Amazon.com: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M, 80 PLUS BRONZE, 620 Watt Modular Power Supply: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Thanks breh.

Matter of fact, what graphics cards are yal rolling with in here? And how much did you pay for them and how much are they going for now?

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
Going off of this thread, the 6870 has been highly recommended. I've been seeing it in the 170 range.

2guns recommended the Geforce GTX 560Ti and it's going for like 179, but there's a mail-in rebate on it that pushed it down to 150.

But I'm really not trying to deal with a mail-in rebate.

I really don't know much about these cards, and I'm confused about them to be honest. I noticed that different manufacturers make the same cards, and I don't really know what's good with all of that. At all.

For the PSU, I'm willing to drop 80 on it. 600W and up. I'm trying to find a modular joint but that might be tough at that price point. I thought I was good yesterday with the Cool Master joint I found at TigerDirect, but it had a mail-in rebate and I passed on it.

Cop a AMD 7850

The difference between vendors is customer service and warranties. Some warranties are life time, some are a couple years. Some are tied to original buyer, some are tied to serial. It varies vendor to vendor.

Also, another thing that varies between vendors are non-reference designs. In contrast, reference designs are mostly identical between all vendors.

I myself have 2 GTX 580s. At the time I purchased them they retailed @ 430 a pop. They can be had for less than 300 used nowadays. You could always go on Ebay and cop a card that has a warranty which is transferable. That's usually the best way to get the most bang for your dollar. I'm looking to get 2x 7970s whether new or used if the price is right. :shaq:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I don't want to get into the video card thing. there's a lot of nuance there. I'll just say I'm an nvidia guy

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Let me know how that A10 works for you. I want to go back to Intel, but there's no sense in doing that when I can get much more bang for my buck... Can take some of my parts I already have and build a system almost just like yours for less than 300 :myman:

Breh shyt is fast as hell! Im posting up on it right now! shyt loads faster then my i5 quad core that i had. AMD is my new choice. Intel was ok at first but the more shyt u have,the less effective it becomes. I might fukk around and sale this though to see if i can get $500 out of it...The system im using go fro close to $700. Make a profit and build the same system again :win:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Breh shyt is fast as hell! Im posting up on it right now! shyt loads faster then my i5 quad core that i had. AMD is my new choice. Intel was ok at first but the more shyt u have,the less effective it becomes. I might fukk around and sale this though to see if i can get $500 out of it...The system im using go fro close to $700. Make a profit and build the same system again :win:

How much did you add before you started noticing a drop in performance?

And which intel processor are you referring to?

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas

:rudy:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

what do you mean "the more shyt you have"?

and what i5 did you have?

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
what do you mean "the more shyt you have"?

and what i5 did you have?

As in as time went on i noticed a drop in performance. I had the i5 quad core that was 2.6 GHz. At the time is was decent(2011). But i also had a sandy bridge i7 quad core overclocked @ 3.8 ghz,and i can say the AMD runs smoother.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

As in as time went on i noticed a drop in performance. I had the i5 quad core that was 2.6 GHz. At the time is was decent(2011). But i also had a sandy bridge i7 quad core overclocked @ 3.8 ghz,and i can say the AMD runs smoother.

that was probably the i5 750 (2009 btw). the 2500 or later are better

but performance dropping over time isn't your processor. and I can sit here all day posting benchmarks that show the intel chips kicking that amd's ass. the only thing the amd is good for is integrated graphics (and price)

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
that was probably the i5 750 (2009 btw). the 2500 or later are better

but performance dropping over time isn't your processor. and I can sit here all day posting benchmarks that show the intel chips kicking that amd's ass. the only thing the amd is good for is integrated graphics (and price)

Well to me the AMD is perfect if u making your own system. Its fast and inexpensive. so :manny:

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
I definitely need a reference number for that i5 you had. I can't see the A10 smoking a recent i5.... I can't justify buying an i5/i7 for basic coli posting/browsing/office work when an AMD chip is so efficient and cheap. Don't really need the extra power tbh and the savings are :myman: