how hard is it to build your own PC?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Lol at u underlining video games and the reason I statd that is because reviewers were killing amd processors when it comes to handlng video gsme performances

a lot of those links ("underlining") are auto generated (by an ad company)

and it's not like the reviews of these processors come down to opinions. they benchmark them and compare the numbers

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Intel Core i5-3570K, XFX Radeon HD 7850, NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/benchmarks/

That's my build with the 7850 1GB video card. I see TigerDirect has it for 149 (it's 169 with the 20 dollar MIR). Prolly the cheapest I'll see it. Hoping Amazon just drops it to 149 tomorrow so I don't have to deal with the MIR to be honest.

And I didn't drop that 1219 figure on it. I have to add it up, because mostly everything that I copped on that list was on sale or a part of some sale this past week.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
AMD has disappointed me with their big bulldozer fail, but the CPU is really not that important right now when it comes to games and you know it.

Hell you can get an Intel G530 and run almost any game you want NICE as long as your video card is a beast. Things will probably change once the next gen drops tho, but even then I think a high end AMD will be fine until about 2015-2016 or so.

you quit PC gaming after you invested in that AMD chip :heh:

anyway, that's true for most mulitplatform games (for obvious reasons), but there are a bunch of PC exclusives that are pretty CPU intensive (mostly strategy games where there's a lot going on). the GTA4 port was notoriously CPU intensive. Arma 2 is pretty bad as well (it uses complicated AI)

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
you quit PC gaming after you invested in that AMD chip :heh:

anyway, that's true for most mulitplatform games (for obvious reasons), but there are a bunch of PC exclusives that are pretty CPU intensive (mostly strategy games where there's a lot going on). the GTA4 port was notoriously CPU intensive. Arma 2 is pretty bad as well (it uses complicated AI)
I quit because I was bored, but I am probably going to finally dust off the desktop and play hitman sometime this week :takedat:

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
AMD has disappointed me with their big bulldozer fail, but the CPU is really not that important right now when it comes to games and you know it.

Hell you can get an Intel G530 and run almost any game you want NICE as long as your video card is a beast. Things will probably change once the next gen drops tho, but even then I think a high end AMD will be fine until about 2015-2016 or so.

:usure:

Skyrim.png

"AMD’s best result comes from the Phenom II X4 980, which appears only slightly slower than Intel's Core i3-2100. The Core i5-2400 and overclocked Core i5-2500K never drop below 37 FPS, and usually stay above 40 FPS in this test."

:russ:

JustCause2.png

StarCraftII.png

I can easily find more but I won't. It's not only games, its everything from power consumption to clock for clock performance. I won't even get into the huge performance gains overclocking Sandy & Ivy bring. :whew:

powerconsumpt.png

:wow:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:usure:

Skyrim.png

"AMD’s best result comes from the Phenom II X4 980, which appears only slightly slower than Intel's Core i3-2100. The Core i5-2400 and overclocked Core i5-2500K never drop below 37 FPS, and usually stay above 40 FPS in this test."

:russ:

JustCause2.png

StarCraftII.png

I can easily find more but I won't. It's not only games, its everything from power consumption to clock for clock performance. I won't even get into the huge performance gains overclocking Sandy & Ivy bring. :whew:

powerconsumpt.png

:wow:
I KNOW AMD messed up :damn:

But the fact still stands tho...they can handle all the latest games. Intel is the way to go and I learned this the hard way :sadcam:

I have an Ivy Bridge compatible motherboard so AMD is past me now, but I do hope another competitor steps up as we can't have Intel become a full fledged monopoly again.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
:damn: @ Intel mobos being 2-3x as expensive as AMD boards with similar specs (max memory, sata ports, etc.). I'm just trying to get a board with 6-8 Sata III 6.0 Gb/s ports. AMD ones can be had (with great reviews) for less than 100. Intel boards with 6 ports START at $200+ and 8 port boards don't even come up on Newegg:sadcam:

Definitely gonna have to rock with AMD for my file server build. Don't need much power at all. Will use an i3 or i5 on my new desktop build.

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
:damn: @ Intel mobos being 2-3x as expensive as AMD boards with similar specs (max memory, sata ports, etc.). I'm just trying to get a board with 6-8 Sata III 6.0 Gb/s ports. AMD ones can be had (with great reviews) for less than 100. Intel boards with 6 ports START at $200+ and 8 port boards don't even come up on Newegg:sadcam:

Definitely gonna have to rock with AMD for my file server build. Don't need much power at all. Will use an i3 or i5 on my new desktop build.

:childplease:

Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

Just one of many.

Edit:

Here's more,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Just so you know, mechanical drives can't fill the bandwidth SATA 3.0 provides let alone SATA 6.0

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps

:snoop: I'm looking for a board with all 6-8 Sata III 6.0 Gb/s ports. I've already seen all of those. The problem is that those boards are partially 3.0 and partially 6.0. Your Newegg search doesn't fulfill my needs. You can replicate my results if you go to the Newegg search, filter mobos by socket 1155, then only 6 and 8 6.0 Gb/s socket boards, you'll see my issue.

Note that I haven't checked Microcenter cause Newegg's search and pcpartpicker.com is much better for my specific search needs, but the board you linked has the same issue.

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
:snoop: I'm looking for a board with 6-8 Sata III 6.0 Gb/s ports. I've already seen all of those. The problem is that those boards are partially 3.0 and partially 6.0. You can replicate my results if you go to the Newegg search, filter mobos by socket 1155, then only 6 and 8 6.0 Gb/s socket boards, you'll see my issue.

Note that I haven't checked Microcenter cause Newegg's search and pcpartpicker.com is much better for my specific search needs, but the board you linked has the same issue.

I edited my post. I kind of figured you were looking for boards with only 6.0 ports. Like I said though, mechanical drives can't even come close to filling the bandwidth 3.0 provides, let alone 6.0. AMD's 6.0's get outperformed by Intels as well though it doesn't matter since again mechanical drives ain't seeing them speeds.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
I edited my post. I kind of figured you were looking for boards with only 6.0 ports. Like I said though, mechanical drives can't even come close to filling the bandwidth 3.0 provides, let alone 6.0.

Yeah, I saw that after I made the post

:salute:

Read that somewhere a LONG time ago and never considered that. So does it matter if drives are 3.0 or 6.0 rated?

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
For mechanical drives is pretty much a gimmick. SSD's are another story.

Not taking the reputation and quality of different brands (OCZ, Intel, etc.) into consideration, is there a major benefit of Sata 3.0 vs. 6.0 as long as the drive is a Sata III drive?