How does a small town Bama have the authority to speak on the origins of hip hop ?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
No.

You're going left. Let's bring it back.

I'm comparing the authenticity of Ralph McDaniel to Tariq Nasheed when it comes to hip hop.

Again, Bam said on Ralph McDaniel show in the late 2000s that he "envisioned" Hip hop being worldwide and then spoke about Japanese breakdancers in the 2000s. I'm not talking about what Bam was dealing with in the 70s. I'm talking about what Bam said he "envisioned" for Hip hop in the future during Hip Hops birth. He embraced Japanese break dancers. He wasn't doing that Tariq Nasheed nonsense of separating them and saying they are cultural appropriating.

That's the point I'm making when I say I will believe someone who is actually a part of the foundation over someone who isn't.

My point is that if HipHop existed before Baam played any role in it (which it did)

Baam really isn't in any position to be speaking on the culture as a whole. He can/should only speak from his "Zulu Nation" vantage point. Tariq is speaking more from the POV of the ethnicity he belongs to: The ethnicity that actually had the various cultural elements/stew that HipHop would be born out of.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
"Same... Flat Blackness"

This is where you are running into problems.

ADOS/Freedmen = an ethnic group originating in the U.S.A.

Nigerian/'insert African nation' = from the country of Nigeria/'insert African nation'

Caribbean = from the Caribbeans

ADOS/Freedmen =/= African =/= Caribbean

Rap/hip-hop was born out of ADOS/Freedmen culture, so is an ADOS/Freedmen musical art form.
Which part of FROM NEW YORK are you not understanding? :what: There's no other city in the country like NYC so that alone makes the lived experience/creation unique.

New York =/= Alabama =/= California

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Which part of FROM NEW YORK are you not understanding? :what: There's no other city in the country like NYC so that alone makes the lived experience/creation unique.

New York =/= Alabama =/= California

New York = U.S.A./America

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
There is no such thing as FBNY/ADONY. Black American (ADOS) is an ethnic group that is indigenous to the United States of America. Many (or most) ADOS have family members all over the United States. And at our family reunions we learn what our country-folk are doing in another part of the country.

My immediate family is Midwestern and we have been in the Midwest since the mid-1800s where we moved from the south. I still have family on the West Coast, South, and East Coast. And when I leave the Midwest to go anywhere else in the country, I usually stay with family.

Some of y'all don't understand how close-knit ADOS families are in the U.S...

:manny:

Also, for a lesson in rap/hip-hop history...
These guys are being obtuse & disingenuous. Many of us NY'ers are a generation or 2 removed from the South. My parents were born in NY but all 4 of my grandparents were born in the South. And on top of that, most of us NY'ers spent our summers down there with our southern fam almost every year. I know I did & I'm no anomaly lol. Most of us are very connected to our southern roots

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
How is there "no such thing"? Cause you say so? There's literally families foundational to the state and the creation of hip hop. This Double Dutch ass game of deciding when it is or isn't okay to delineate isn't gonna fly, yall gotta make up your mind.

Tariq wasn't born in NY, raised there, or even lived there to my knowledge so wgat authority does he have???

See how quickly you fell into "Flat Blackness"? :ufdup:

"Flat Blackness" doesn't apply to Aframs who happen to live in various places within the USA:childplease:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
New York = U.S.A./America
so by your logic a breh living in Bumfukk, Iowa and no roots to GA/SC can claim Gullah Geechee cause "we're all the same""-- and yes, thats literally what you're saying.

Flat Blackness :ufdup:
Pannie babble :ufdup:
These guys are being obtuse & disingenuous. Many of us NY'ers are a generation or 2 removed from the South. My parents were born in NY but all 4 of my grandparents were born in the South. And on top of that, most of us NY'ers spent our summers down there with our southern fam almost every year. I know I did & I'm no anomaly lol. Most of us are very connected to our southern roots
No, this shyt is finally being turned on its head and yall are tryna cope. I don't care for him but Rolan Martin was called a tether cause his great great grandfather or some shyt was from Haiti. Your fam JUST got to New York a generation ago and somehow you get to claim it :comeon: Zay prolly just wanted to stir some shyt but I been pointing out this hypocrisy. Ya'll gotta make up your minds.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Baam really isn't in any position to be speaking on the culture as a whole. He can/should only speak from his "Zulu Nation" vantage point. Tariq is speaking more from the POV of the ethnicity he belongs to: The ethnicity that actually had the various cultural elements/stew that HipHop would be born out of.

:what:

How can you say he isn't in a position to speak on the culture as a whole when he already did it in the 80's 90's and 2000's and no one said otherwise?

This interview is from 1996

"How you act, walk, look and talk is all part of Hip Hop culture. And the music is colorless. Hip Hop music is made from Black, brown, yellow, red and white."

If what you are saying is true then why didn't Davey D (another Hip Hop legend) correct him during this interview and say. "You aren't in any position to be speaking on the culture as a whole" in 1996?

:jbhmm:

Why didn't the hip hop legend Ralph McDaniels correct him and say "You aren't in any position to be speaking on the culture as a whole" in the late 2000's?
:jbhmm:

So I'm just supposed to ignore these official Hip Hop legends who publicly accepted what Bam said decades ago and co sign IllmaticDelta who has no foundation in Hip Hop at all yet is saying all of this in May of 2024. Ignore the legends, listen to some random name on a message board. Thats what you are saying I should do. And then on top of saying that you want me to acknowledge Tariq Nasheed, the same guy who said in 2018 that Kool Herc started Hip Hop. I repeat, the same guy who in 2018 said Kool Herc started Hip Hop. LOL. That's what u want me to do huh? Ignore Ralph McDaniels who had a docu saying there were FBAs before Herc in 2011 but accept Tariq Nasheed who 7 years after the fact in 2018 said Kool Herc created Hip Hop.

:heh:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
"Flat Blackness" doesn't apply to Aframs who happen to live in various places within the USA:childplease:
Why not :unimpressed:
My fam is from Alabama and I've been to New York. There's a world of difference. Why was Outkast booed if Flat Blackness doesn't apply? Why was there an East Coast/West Coast beef if it doesn't apply? Why was the south in general shytted on from New York if it doesn't apply?

It seems to me like New Yorkers BEEN on this time and yall are tryna get "lumped in"

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Bushed
Daps
But you started when you quoted me first giving misinformation that Illmatic corrected you on.

@IllmaticDelta didn't/couldn't correct me on anything as I never stated there were no FBAs represented in Ralph McDaniels Hip Hop documentary.

Ralph McDaniels is Jamaican & his Hip Hop documentary leaves out many of the original FBAs who were involved with the foundation/origins of Rap/Hip Hop.

Your delivery was way off first. You brought up ethnicity for no reason at all on top of speaking misinformation about the docu and it came off as trolling. Your delivery was not constructive dialog.

You only got your panties in a bunch when I mentioned that Ralph McDaniels was Jamaican which is pertinent considering that the Microphone Check documentary was produced by a FBA & it will focus solely & strictly on FBAs creating Hip Hip/Rap.

Plenty of FBAs were acknowledged in that docu

And "plenty" of other FBAs in Hip Hop's inception were not "acknowledged"/mentioned/included in McDaniels Hip Hop documentary as well.

so you saying that confirmed you didn't even watch it and wasn't trying to have a constructive discussion.

No, that's what you're "saying," which is inaccurate.

It's not my fault you're having comprehension issues from being overly emotional & can't quite grasp what you're reading.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
so by your logic a breh living in Bumfukk, Iowa and no roots to GA/SC can claim Gullah Geechee cause "we're all the same""-- and yes, thats literally what you're saying.

No, this shyt is finally being turned on its head and yall are tryna cope. I don't care for him but Rolan Martin was called a tether cause his great great grandfather or some shyt was from Haiti. Your fam JUST got to New York a generation ago and somehow you get to claim it :comeon: Zay prolly just wanted to stir some shyt but I been pointing out this hypocrisy. Ya'll gotta make up your minds.
You can't see passed your own issues for real lol

Tair

Superstar
Daps

The "bumfukk" in Iowa likely has roots in the South.

and,

Gullah Geechee = ADOS

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
My
How is there "no such thing"? Cause you say so? There's literally families foundational to the state and the creation of hip hop. This Double Dutch ass game of deciding when it is or isn't okay to delineate isn't gonna fly, yall gotta make up your mind.

Tariq wasn't born in NY, raised there, or even lived there to my knowledge so wgat authority does he have???

See how quickly you fell into "Flat Blackness"? :ufdup:
my goodness you are an idiot :dwillhuh:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
You can't see passed your own issues for real lol
Breh its a simple ass question based on the fukkery displayed on here for years now. Yall want it to be one way-- til you're in the crosshairs-- and suddenly there's new rules/conditions
The "bumfukk" in Iowa likely has roots in the South.

and,

Gullah Geechee = ADOS
Bumfukk is the town, not the breh.
And we all have roots in Africa but that didn't stop yall from cutting any and all associations. Make. Up. Your. Mind.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
You only got your panties in a bunch when I mentioned that Ralph McDaniels was Jamaican which is pertinent considering that the Microphone Check documentary was produced by a FBA & it will focus solely & strictly on FBAs creating Hip Hip/Rap.

LOL. More confirmation you don't know Hip Hop history. Red Alert was in that Microphone Check trailer. Red Alert represents the beginning of Hip Hop on the radio and Mr Magic is Puerto Rican. Red Alert is West Indian. Check Mate.

:sas2: