How did this weave culture become so great among black women?

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Because this shyt is bringing down the stigma and morale of our black queens..they need to be encouraged that they are beautiful without these superficial things

I agree that BW need to be encouraged, but I don't think the issue is just that bw feel beautiful with weave. I honestly think that are various reasons that some women constantly wear weave. Sure, feeling "beautiful" is one of them, but it's not the only reason, even if men believe differently. For instance, I've asked my sister, who wears weaves back to back, when I will see her real hair, and she said "never lol". It had nothing to do with beauty for her, she said that the daily care of weave, is so much easier for her than her natural hair. That she can get up and go, and not have a bad hair day. That she can predict how she will look. That wash days are not an issue anymore. And the list goes on. Obviously the beauty aspect is probably one of the reasons too. I've talked to enough women that wear weave all the time, to understand that some women really still don't know how to take care of and style their natural hair, on the day-to-day basis. And some don't even feel like learning. The other women I know that wear weaves often, did try wearing their natural hair "out", but struggled a lot, and did not want to go back to relaxers, so they just started wearing weaves, and became addicted lol. And I have a friend who's been wearing weaves and braids, to grow her hair out. I'm not saying that the beauty aspect has nothing to do with it, because I know it does, but I also know that for a lot of women it's more than that.

In any case, as others have pointed out, you won't believe the number of women that aren't black, that regularly wear extensions. I remember being at the dentist last week, and noticing that white receptionist track sticking out lol... I would have never known that she had a weave because it matched her hair to a tea. And I've seen youtube videos from latinas, middle eastern chicks, etc talking about their clip in extensions or doing review on their weave hair lol. So It's way more than you think. The reason it isn't talked about as much, or as negatively, is because as others have pointed out, they buy extensions that match their texture, so it isn't detectable. I would say that a lot of women feel like they need superficial things to be beautiful, that is why make up is such a big thing now--as is extensions. It isn't just BW, it's a women thing, but BW get flak for it more than others when it comes to weave, and I think that alone probably also makes them more defensive and insecure about it.
And though a lot of men say that they hate weave, and relaxers, and prefer natural hair, I know that irl based on the sheer number of BW in relationships and marriages that wear weave, that it isn't true lol. In fact, one of my friends said that when she wears weave she gets hollered at way more than when she wears her hair natural. And I see enough of the women yall post in here as dimes(often with fake kinky curly hair, fake curly hair, or fake straight hair) to know that some men are saying one thing(they love natural hair) but doing another.

Nikki_04

All Star
Daps
Is the standard of beauty not white men as well? You don’t see nikkas( anymore) getting conks and perms and goofy ass white boy styles
SOME of you need to stop comparing black women and men as if our experiences are all the same. Hair to black men means something different than it does to black women/women in general.

OliviaTwist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Souf
I wear weave or some form of added hair like braids probably about 50/50 on and off. More than likely I wouldn’t want my daughter to wear a straight weave while she’s school aged because I want her self confidence not tied to her hair’s texture. She can do as she pleases when she gets grown.

Black women change their hair more frequently than any group on earth. I’ve had friends that rocked braids, straight long hair, short hair, colored hair, or Afro textured hair within months. I’m not damaging my real hair just because I feel like a TT30 color this month nor am I cutting my hair and waiting months for it to grow back. Sometimes it’s really not that deep why I’m wearing 16 inches of straight hair.

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Is the standard of beauty not white men as well? You don’t see nikkas( anymore) getting conks and perms and goofy ass white boy styles

Women and men have a different set of standards. What makes a women desirable is often tied to how she looks, and how "motherly" or feminine she is. For men, it's tied to his ability to lead, provide, and protect. So nah, their really isn't a standard of beauty for men, the way it is for women. You can't compare the two. Sure, attractive men are desirable and tend to do better in some aspects than unattractive men, but overall, a men's "value" or "desirability" in this country, is not tied to his looks the same way it is for women.

In any case, for women, in america, WW have always been the "standard" of beauty. Where as for men, WM have been the "standard" in terms of their ability to provide, build wealth, etc.

So when you consider it like that... Both WW and WM are the standards in this country, and just as BW get flak for their hair, how they look, their behavior and so on, BM get flak for their inability to provide, lead, father their children etc. Neither groups have "met" the standards collectively, and have gotten flak from their counterparts for not meeting them(in BM's case), or for trying to (BW).

Anyway, you can't compare men and women, lol. And it's weird when yall try. It's not the same, because men and women aren't seen the same. The way things are going,(with all this transgender shyt and extreme feminist shyt) people are trying to make everyone the "same", and equalize struggles, but the reality is that women and men are different.

So it's sus as fukk when men try to compare or compete with women.

Last edited:

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LL Around The Way Girl song and video
Before that, females were flamed for it

ben anderson

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
MD
SOME of you need to stop comparing black women and men as if our experiences are all the same. Hair to black men means something different than it does to black women/women in general.
Ok.
Women and men have a different set of standards. What makes a women desirable is often tied to how she looks, and how "motherly" or feminine she is. For men, it's tied to his ability to lead, provide, and protect. So nah, their really isn't a standard of beauty for men, the way it is for women. You can't compare the two. Sure, attractive men are desirable and tend to do better in some aspects than unattractive men, but overall, a men's "value" or "desirability" in this country, is not tied to his looks the same way it is for women.

In any case, for women, in america, WW have always been the "standard" of beauty. Where as for men, WM have been the "standard" in terms of their ability to provide, build wealth, etc.

So when you consider it like that... Both WW and WM are the standards in this country, and just as BW get flak for their hair, how they look, their behavior and so on, BM get flak for their inability to provide, lead, father their children etc. Neither groups have "met" the standards collectively, and have gotten flak from their counterparts for not meeting them(in BM's case), or for trying to (BW).

Anyway, you can't compare men and women, lol. And it's weird when yall try. It's not the same, because men and women aren't seen the same. The way things are going,(with all this transgender shyt and extreme feminist shyt) people are trying to make everyone the "same", and equalize struggles, but the reality is that women and men are different.

So it's sus as fukk when men try to compare or compete with women.
Wow pretty ty reasonable and well written. Still going to find out myself how hard this natural hair stuff is when growing my hair.We shall see. Also glad to see you say men and women aren’t the same and we can’t be judged on the same things equally. I hope I see you in another thread :smile:

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
I went to a couple graduations and every black female graduate had a decorative cap and weave down to the small of their back and taking pics for the gram

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Black people are the only people that even have this kind of hair. Show it, be proud of it