How did this weave culture become so great among black women?

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Honestly... I talked about this before with my hair stylist. I told her I've never seen as many women wearing weaves as I've seen in the last decade. We poinpointed that it started around the time where relaxers became a no-no. Up until that point, I saw weaves, but not nearly as often as I do now. In fact, there have been times now, where I've thought a woman was natural, and upon closer inspection(when I would be talking to them face to face), I would notice that the "puff" in their hair, was really a fake pony tail puff. Or the afro I thought was there's, was really a crochet afro. Matter of fact, I was surprised when I started to notice that half the time I thought a woman was rocking her real natural hair, she was actually rocking fake hair, that looked like natural hair.

Like I said, my stylist and I believe, that the high amount of weave wearing all began when black women stopped getting relaxers. I think a lot of women struggle with their natural hair, but they don't want to get a relaxer because of the flak it's gotten, so they opt for a weave. And there are some women that just can't grow their natural hair very long. I have a friend who's been natural for like 6 years, her hair is still very short(even when straightened). She does so much to take care of it, to the point where I'm SMH, but her hair breaks all the time. On the other hand, my mentor stopped getting relaxer, and her hair grew very long within a year or two. Some women are really struggling with their natural hair, and others aren't. Some women have grown their natural hair very long, others have been at the same length(unintentional or intentional) for years. Some love being natural, others hate it, but do it anyway because of peer pressure. And some women would whether get a weave and "claim" natural, than wear their natural hair.

Sometimes I be wanting to get a weave, especially when I see good ones, but all it takes is me seeing a woman with a bad weave, and I get turned the fukk off from getting a weave. Like it just looks bad, when it's bad, but good when it's good, if that makes sense, lol.

As for the locs. I think that's easier said than done. Some women don't want a permanent style like that--they like to change it up.

I think it's definitely strange when men fixate on it though. Like I get not wanting to date a female that wears a weave. Just don't. My brother was like that. He hates weave, so he won't date a woman that wears a weave. My dad is the same way. But, beyond choosing not to date women that wear weave, they do not spend even a second talking about the women that wear them, because it doesn't effect them. If some of yall don't like it, or think it's weird, then just don't date women that wear em'.
:yeshrug:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A Black woman can wear her hair natural like OP wants....That same Black woman will Go on the coli....say something someone doesn't agree with and still be called a c00n/bedwench.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Well, black women - like any other women. Believe it or not, black women like to also...wait for it... change up their look sometimes! -gasps- :ohhh:

Shocking isnt it? If i want to wear my hair a different color one day without damaging my actual hair with a dofferent hairstyle, im getting weave/extensions, whatever people want to call it nowdays. Im not dying my real hair. shyt, if we women did that everytime we wanted a different color, we'd be bald.

Or if we just want a different hairstyle without commitment..well, theres weave/hair extensions for that. Weave has came a long way. You can get them in any hair texture, including natural hair/kinky textures.

So I dont get whats really the problem with weaves. But then again, I'm a chick and i only hear this type of stuff only online so :manny:

Im just a chick offerring a female perspective. :hubie:
white women look stupid with braids and afros, and the same applies to bw with textures that don't match.

KamikazePilot

Superstar
Daps
From my experience with my mother, sisters, Grandma's ect. Is that Afro hair back in the day was not accepted at all. That's why A lot of black men had either short or relaxed hair and black womans hair was always relaxed because it wasn't accepted until around 1970's where afros became big with Afrocentrism become bigger. There's still A lot of hair prejudice today with black men and black woman. Just look at the negative connotation that locs have. I do think though if black woman wear weaves or wigs it should be afro hair. You can't down play that European looks are put on a pedestal and held as the standard. Plus with moms passing it down generation to generation it kind of became a cycle. There's a lot of reasons we could list all day.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I understand the history behind why black women wear weaves so I do try not to be a hard ass about it. A black woman's hair was not accepted in society so weave became popular to fit European standards. Heck, most of use don't even speak our own original language so there are lots of things we have had to adopt due to slavery, colonialism and racism. Although I accept it, I prefer woman with natural hair over weave. It's just way more attractive to me.

Last edited:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
All of the fake shyt that women apply to their bodies and weave is the one that you have an issue with????

:russ:

Not the ridiculous amount of makeup

Not the fake t*ts ass and hips

Not the fake eyelashes

Not the fake eyebrows

:mjlol:

Me personally, fake hair is very low on my list of concerns
Far more women wear weave than those who have fake titties and ass

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
It’s crazy how much black women get judged. If they were their hair like this, they’re a sell out. If they dye their hair like that, they hate themselves. If they wear contacts, they’re trying to be white. shyt, to some of you guys, anything they do has to do with self-esteem issues. Can a black woman just be a black woman without caveats?

King of Creampies

Hop in. You coming too!
Daps
Reppin
Wild Hunt
I swear to God i think weaves is the stupidest thing ever...like y dont black women just grow their natural hair and rock dreadlocks or some other not to difficult to manage hairstyle? Some things in this world i will never fukking understand

you are just trolling man. if you aren't a woman why do you give a fukk?

Black Cher

All Star
Daps
Is it true a lot of black women would love to go natural but their hair has been permanently damaged since childhood?

It's true for a good amount. They have damage from relaxers, manipulation, not taking care of it, etc. Most of the time it's not even their fault cuz they started getting relaxers when they were like 5 so it was out of their control :francis:

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Because this shyt is bringing down the stigma and morale of our black queens..they need to be encouraged that they are beautiful without these superficial things
Do you know what puts them down? Constant judgement from their men, degrading them, abandoning them to raise children by themselves. Not some damn weave. I swear some of you must be young to focus on stupid shyt like this.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I swear to God i think weaves is the stupidest thing ever...like y dont black women just grow their natural hair and rock dreadlocks or some other not to difficult to manage hairstyle? Some things in this world i will never fukking understand

When the standard of beauty being white women has been constantly indoctrinated into your brain by media, you think their image is what you want.