How come Taylor Swift doesn’t have the same mass appeal to the Black community that previous white singers had?

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Gaga had Telephone produced by Darkchild which featured Beyoncé.
She also had the controversial Do What U Want with R. Kelly and the demo of bytch, Don't Kill My Vibe with K. Dot which featured her.

I don't know if they received urban play but the first two songs were popular.
Gaga had the Akon co-sign That more than anything is what had us aware of her.

She was blatantly pop, but even she was working with Wale and Kendrick. She knew her lane though.
The thing is, she's clearly huge in other countries/continents in a way that most artists aren't.

Which is strange to me, because I just don't see what pulls them in.

Her songwriting is good but her actual singing/performance is basic to bad.

She couldn't win a talent show at my local middle/high school, deadass.

Like, I get why MJ ruled the world at his peak.

Singing, crazy dancing and just a general oddness/weirdness to his music that others lacked.

Beyonce as well, in terms of singing and performance.

Gaga for singing, oddity edge as well.
Her performance was mediocre but she COULD sing at least, and her songwriting was interesting.

Taylor though? None of that, aside from songwriting. It's like media inertia propelled her to the top or something.

She's like if the Make a Wish foundation put in a script for an all American popstar into chatgpt.

Just benignly milqetoast and blandness manifested into reality.
Which means VERY safe. That's why even some young Black girls enjoy Taylor Swift's music. She's offering an option for girls who wanna hear that stuff without being sold Babylon in a time where everyone else is tryna sell you that.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Gaga had the Akon co-sign That more than anything is what had us aware of her.

She was blatantly pop, but even she was working with Wale and Kendrick. She knew her lane though.

Which means VERY safe. That's why even some young Black girls enjoy Taylor Swift's music. She's offering an option for girls who wanna hear that stuff without being sold Babylon in a time where everyone else is tryna sell you that.
And that's honestly not a bad thing :ehh: we need more of that. Agenda free music for girls

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
While the hip-hop aesthetic has dominated pop culture, a lot of people (white women) aren't really into that.

She found a way to rally them all around her, the female empowerment message, documenting her relationships and the whole thing with her publishing struck a chord with white America.

She's known globally sure, but that's because white women made her a star and other countries tune in to American pop music

I don't hate her, she seems alright but holy fukk is she overrated

Cool DOC

All Star
Daps
I listen to her sometimes & unlike those other “pop stars” she didn’t pander or go after black producers to appeal to us & I respect that. All them other acts came over to ride our wave till the tide got low then bounced. Fcuk Justin Timberlack

Edit: the sweet irony is I started listening to her cause she was getting spins on a late night hip hop show on Hot97!

Ɀoᥱɣ

All Star
Daps
Beyond her ability to write a cute song, she doesn't have anything else to offer

No stage presence, no dancing and the songs are actually meh

For all of her global success, Taylor is the epitome of basic

Madonna, Christina, Britney and Gaga either have star power, can actually sing or can dance/has stage presence
Exactly, she's very relatable to the average yt girl :manny:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
The video and thread aren't congruent.

Not only are they not the intended audience for her music...they still recognized some of her songs like bad blood. Taylor swift has billions of dollars behind her making sure you hear her music in department stores, pop stations, and in movie soundtracks.

If youve lived over 10 years you'll have heard a Taylor swift song. The music industry will go out of its way to make sure you at least know who she is.

She's not popular with black audiences partially because she doesn't even try to feature black performers that often in her music. If she collaborated with a black artist like H.E.R. on an album, it would do numbers and MIGHT help her gain more black fans.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They've made songs over the years with urban artists or had songs that had that crossover potential due to the beats and other factors during that time, so the answer is yes.

Taylor doesn't have that not to mention the fact that she comes off as corny by the larger mass.

Paramore is an exception to that as there are/were a lot of kids that grew up in the "emo phase" and/or rocked with that type of music at the time such as myself. They're a different conversation and discussion altogether and shouldn't be lumped in with those other artists.
You explained it before I could

The mid 2000s had a wave of black people moving into suburban areas. That's where the black Paramore fans began to sprout