How come Taylor Swift doesn’t have the same mass appeal to the Black community that previous white singers had?

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
She just always sounded like background noise to me. Her tone and voice is not pleasant. Her song writing is pedestrian. The music is like what a microwave dinner is to a home cooked meal. She is pleasant, boring, basic, predictable and formulaic. The definition of mid. Not offensive and not challenging. Just passing. Like someone took all the sensibilities of the 00's boyband era, sprinkled some basic ass country pop and turned down all the bass.

Her crowd seems to be just like her. The bland army.

I have always appreciated good pop. I dated a Swifty too. I never hear anything from her with soul or that would be relatable or interesting. Her rendition of September was a perfect encapsulation of her mediocrity. Yet she is exalted. We live in strange times and maybe these mediocre mega stars are the true representation of the times. Excellence is not the draw. Just fame. This is maybe her best attribute. Her ability to harness her fame for influence and gain. She's a great business but a poor man's artist.

Red Money

All Star
Daps
Tay Tay doesn't appeal to majority of black men. It's really that simple.

Black women would know her more as a girl power artist like Rheba McEntire.

Now Avil Lavergne wasn't really embraced by black community...but MTV put her in rotation and it killed non singing Britney Spears career who was just eye candy to brehs.

...Brehs wanted to smash Britney....she part of that who was checking for white girls before Britney kinda thing.

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps

This is interesting because even Paramore had a decent following in the Black community and they don't make "urban music". Yet you'll be hard pressed to see Black folks from all socioeconomic and national status that fukk with Taylor outside of a handful of songs . The only full Taylor albums I've listened to were 1989 and Midnights and other than that I draw a blank face to the rest of her music.

you mean like Madonna, all races of people fuvked with her, the short answer is the audience at Taylor Swift is aimimg at a certain demographic, and and it's not us, but she's making trillions of dollars regardless, so who cares
:yeshrug:

Red Money

All Star
Daps

This is interesting because even Paramore had a decent following in the Black community and they don't make "urban music". Yet you'll be hard pressed to see Black folks from all socioeconomic and national status that fukk with Taylor outside of a handful of songs . The only full Taylor albums I've listened to were 1989 and Midnights and other than that I draw a blank face to the rest of her music.

Why are we ignoring Ariana Grande? She got spins on urban radio. She was signing at Arthea Franklin's Funeral too.

Folks be into Adele. Adele had a strong black women fan base when she was fat.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Taylor Swift doesn’t force her image to appeal to black people like those that came before her. Most of them jumped on the black sound/image/wave and then jumped off.

Pink
Justin Bieber
Justin Timberlake
Miley Cyrus

Scust

T-Swift is just a real one :wow:

Red Money

All Star
Daps
Yup. She deserves the N-Word pass that Nas gave to Gwyneth Paltrow. She lost her Pepsi endorsement over it. Gwyneth never put in the work that Madonna did. At her PEAK!

:salute:To the original pop PAWG.

Madonna wanted to have kids with Tupac when he was alive. Madonna wasn't retro active with Tupac love & stories...she was real time.