Honest Conversations About “BLACK JOBS”: Are We Competing with Immigrants for Jobs in 2024?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
They do the jobs nobody wants to do. It's easy to live off 8-12 dollars an hour when you have 8 people in the household working. And all that money stays in their community. Where I work it's all immigrants, even got of group of 8 bengalis that pile up in a minivan to come to work. Only Americans are the supervisors and truck drivers
Generations of immigrants have made this not true in California.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
but one affects the other. those branches don't exist in separate economies.

no hispanics since "1900" and those employers would have to compete more for staff - thereby pushing up options and personal pricing power across the board.

:hubie:

Generations of immigrants have made this not true in California.
giphy.gif

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Lump of Labor Fallacy: What is the Lump of Labor Fallacy. The lump of labor fallacy is the mistaken belief that there is a fixed amount of work available in the economy, and that increasing the number of workers decreases the amount of work available for everyone else, or vice-versa

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Those of us who are in those fields- yea we are competing with educated/skilled people of other races. This ain’t about *us* because we know what time it is and our parents most likely trained us to pursue white collar careers.

The ultimate point is why aren’t MORE of us competing with whites and Asians for those higher paying jobs?

Again- quite a few of us are in service positions.
Agree there. My sister and I were pretty much groomed for a white collar job but then again my parents were both in tech. Pretty rare in Black households.

The "Black jobs" are generally other industries and I'm concerned about US getting pushed out.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
This began with people holding only a high school diploma or none at all deeming some jobs as beneath them..this allowed non citizen immigrants from Latin America to negotiate those jobs for themselves.
Now people can see how Hispanics now dominate certain sectors they didn't before and its another lost opportunity.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Tomayto, tomahto. Sounds like we're gambling either way. I'd rather gamble getting the illegals out and having gas cheaper and lower interest rates, taxes, etc., then hope some SCOTUS possibly judges get replaced. For the millionth time, it's not like they're going to do anything for Black people anyway, so it is what it is. :yeshrug:
Awww now the truth comes out, you're a Trump supporter.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
The reality is what Trump said is correct and you can't out one side of your neck talk about how oppressed we are and then out the other one act like what he said was off base.
Trump told the House gop to block the most conservative immigration bill in decades simply so he could run on immigration himself. Trump could care less about so called black jobs.

Now let's hear you talk out the side of your neck about that. :sas2:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Trump told the House gop to block the most conservative immigration bill in decades simply so he could run on immigration himself. Trump could care less about so called black jobs.

Now let's hear you talk out the side of your neck about that. :sas2:
I heard LeBron James Jr. had a disappointing summer league performance.

Now one might ask what does LeBron James Jr. have to do with the topic at hand?

Absolutely nothing. I just wanted to experience being an idiot that can't stay on topic for a brief moment to see what it feels like to be you everyday :mjlol:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Dr. Claude Anderson warned us DECADES ago that immigration was going to negatively affect Black Americans more than anyone else.

That horse left the barn a long time ago. At least since the 70s.

I don't expect Black folks to come together like Voltron anytime soon, but trying to send Miguel back to El Salvador just so that Black people can once again mow white people's lawns, nurse their children, and cook their food is hustling backwards.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
LET ME START OFF BY SAYING THAT I AM MOST CERTAINLY TEAM DEMOCRAT/BIDEN 2024 AND TRUMP NEEDS TO LOSE THE ELECTION AND GO TO JAIL.

Now…

As much as we hated what Trump said…was he totally wrong?

Dr. Claude Anderson warned us DECADES ago that immigration was going to negatively affect Black Americans more than anyone else. We get moved further down the ladder when other racial groups arrive/increase in number. Not to mention Latinos and Asians will always stick together and put each other before us.

What percentage of us are educated/ skilled laborers? What is our average salary compared to that of other groups? What are we doing to improve those numbers?

Honestly, watch the entire stream:

First 10min:

Many of the jobs Trump was referring to are jobs that our elders/ancestors had. Then Latinos took over those jobs. Jobs that many of us currently have.

They said ~45% of us are in the service industry. THOSE ARE THE JOBS TRUMP WAS REFERRING TO.

What are we doing to increase our numbers in the fields that require more skills?

Everyone having 6 certs and making 6 figures is a running joke on The Coli, but if we’re being real, we know what majority of the community is making and the careers that majority of the community are in.

This goes beyond the presidency (AGAIN- Biden/anyone but Trump 2024):

What are we doing in our homes, in our neighborhoods, in our churches, etc to steer the community in a better direction?

I actually heard a YouTuber mention today how Black people are the only group all over social media discussing nothing but relationship issues/ 50-50. Not that other groups don’t have these convos, but that this is the MAIN thing being discussed by Black people across the diaspora on social media. He mentioned how the “balloon show” has spread across the internet, but it was another relationship show/ topic that Black folks made viral again, and how it seems like we aren’t tired of the relationship topic. 50/50, “settling”, rating each other’s looks, etc.

We are at the bottom of the economic ladder in this nation (hell, the world), but where are the serious conversations?

Even up to a year or so ago we were talking about how Black people in America (all ethnicities combined) will have collective wealth of $0 by 2050. I believe that stat improved a bit, but we’re still at the bottom.
Hispanics have passed us in homeownership.

These people are fighting to get over here and they are going to huddle up, pool their money together and do everything in their power to surpass us. And they don’t care about the history of this country and what we are owed.

We are in an economic war, but it seems like we are the only group that doesn’t realize it.

And if Trump gets in and Project 2025 really takes off?

We need to be circling the wagons NOOOOOW!

Only if you think the economy is a fixed pie. Seems to me like it's doing well enough that there are for all. If your question is are Black ppl and recent immigrants occupying the same end of the social economic ladder, then yes. We're all starting from the same spot and working similar low paying jobs