History Channel Portrays Hannibal as Black, White People Cry Foul Over ‘Historical Revisionism’

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
You people need to stop with this "its so ABSURD" arguing Hannibal is non-black. Or calling anyone a c00n or cac for disagreeing. There is no confirmed/fixed agreement on Hannibal's race. Where are you guys getting that its already known that he's black? Yes, the native people of Carthage were black and I even posted sources saying a good number of Carthaginians had "negroid characteristics", but Carthage was founded by outsider i.e the Phoneticians and it was mixed society. Second there are literally no physical remains of Hannibal or his family or any classical primarily sources that give us what race he was.

So why are you guys calling it absurb if Hannibal was non-black? He could have been black, white looking, mixed looking or middle eastern looking. I asked MANY times if people had good in depth sources telling us Hannibal's race. So far only @Knicksman20 was the one who actually put in work. If any of you have any sources detailing Hannibal's race, the please post them. If not stop saying stuff like "its not even up to debate at this point".

The race of the Ancient Egyptians are NOT up for debate. Hannibal? I disagree.

I'm still trying to find my other sources fam. Once I find some more I'll post.

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
You people need to stop with this "its so ABSURD" arguing Hannibal is non-black. Or calling anyone a c00n or cac for disagreeing. There is no confirmed/fixed agreement on Hannibal's race. Where are you guys getting that its already known that he's black? Yes, the native people of Carthage were black and I even posted sources saying a good number of Carthaginians had "negroid characteristics", but Carthage was founded by outsider i.e the Phoneticians and it was mixed society. Second there are literally no physical remains of Hannibal or his family or any classical primarily sources that give us what race he was.

So why are you guys calling it absurb if Hannibal was non-black? He could have been black, white looking, mixed looking or middle eastern looking. I asked MANY times if people had good in depth sources telling us Hannibal's race. So far only @Knicksman20 was the one who actually put in work. If any of you have any sources detailing Hannibal's race, the please post them. If not stop saying stuff like "its not even up to debate at this point".

The race of the Ancient Egyptians are NOT up for debate. Hannibal? I disagree.

Truth be told. EVERYTHING in History is distorted. U believe what you choose to believe.

"Evidence" and "Facts" that we site on either sides of any historical argument are really skewed by whoever is filtering the information. So you have to draw your own conclusions from critical thinking.

When I hear Africa 250 something BC. nikka whooping ass and riding elephants. I'm thinking Black. White historians always place non blacks ANYWHERE NEAR ANY MOMENT OF GREATNESS. Y'all fall for this shyt everytime. Why are even debating this shyt.

50 years from now a new study can come out and say Hannibal didn't exist, Hannibal was an alien. And if they want to make that the gospel dudes will be on whatever site arguing about that.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Truth be told. EVERYTHING in History is distorted. U believe what you choose to believe.

"Evidence" and "Facts" that we site on either sides of any historical argument are really skewed by whoever is filtering the information. So you have to draw your own conclusions from critical thinking.

When I hear Africa 250 something BC. nikka whooping ass and riding elephants. I'm thinking Black. White historians always place non blacks ANYWHERE NEAR ANY MOMENT OF GREATNESS. Y'all fall for this shyt everytime. Why are even debating this shyt.

50 years from now a new study can come out and say Hannibal didn't exist, Hannibal was an alien. And if they want to make that the gospel dudes will be on whatever site arguing about that.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Trust me I AGREE with most you're saying. All I'm saying is that we should be cautious with looking at Hannibal and the Phoenicians, because the topic for them is very tricky unlike with the Ancient Egyptians and hell even the Moors.

Daps
Reppin
Iowa
First post on the coli this year (the root no less) and it's filled with nothing but garbage speculation with no context. I sometimes cringe reading history threads on this site when most of the people posting have never done credible research on the given subject and they come off looking stupid and misinformed( like most of you dumbasses in this thread).

and yet you say nothing to your fellow crackas, typical white trash!!!!!!!!!!!:camby:

Daps
Reppin
Iowa
Trust me I AGREE with most you're saying. All I'm saying is that we should be cautious with looking at Hannibal and the Phoenicians, because the topic for them is very tricky unlike with the Ancient Egyptians and hell even the Moors.

I think that "lighter" skin has YOU AND SOME OF THE OTHER POSTERS ON THIS THREAD CONFUSED,

eurotrash has you all brainwashed to think that 'THE TROPICAL NEGRO" STEROTYPICAL LOOK, IS THE "ONLY" LOOK FOR AFRICAN, AFRICANS ARE ALLLLLLLLL DIFFERENT DIFFERENT TOUNGES, TASTES, CLOTHES, AND YES PHENOTYPES, JUST BECAUSE CACS HAVE PUT IN YOUR HEADS LIES ABOUT THE WORLD ESPECIALLY AFRICA (miss me with that so called"pre-colonial" BULLshyt), BLACKS NEED TO TELL THERE OWN STORY, PERIOD WITHOUT ANY OUTSIDE INFLUENCE.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I think that "lighter" skin has YOU AND SOME OF THE OTHER POSTERS ON THIS THREAD CONFUSED,

eurotrash has you all brainwashed to think that 'THE TROPICAL NEGRO" STEROTYPICAL LOOK, IS THE "ONLY" LOOK FOR AFRICAN, AFRICANS ARE ALLLLLLLLL DIFFERENT DIFFERENT TOUNGES, TASTES, CLOTHES, AND YES PHENOTYPES, JUST BECAUSE CACS HAVE PUT IN YOUR HEADS LIES ABOUT THE WORLD ESPECIALLY AFRICA (miss me with that so called"pre-colonial" BULLshyt), BLACKS NEED TO TELL THERE OWN STORY, PERIOD WITHOUT ANY OUTSIDE INFLUENCE.

What the hell are you going on about? What does this have to do with what you replied to? Knock it off.

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
Addressing the bolded, I actually posted that source to one of the people in this thread I'm arguing with. The reason is because that person for some reason thinks the Romans would lie about Hannibal's race if he were a black person. Again FOR WHAT exactly? That character seems to think the Romans held onto modern white supremacy and anti-blackness. Which isn't true. When me and you both know that they considered the more paler northern Europeans inferior, while blacks in Africa were seen with more respect.

THIS. The Romans were not color prejudice. Even in movies like the "Gladiator" you see the Romans fighting the British and Germans because they saw them as lower people. Rome didn't fukk with Cartahge and had it in for them but conquer people and have them join their empire if they pledge allegiance to Rome. We learned this In school, idk how people act like they don't know how Rome was like.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
I have to check these books out. How good are they? NO ONE is denying that Carthage was mostly indigenous African and that the Numidians were black/African. I think even Euronuts know this. Hell they depicted the native black population of Carthage as black in the TV show Spartacus.

But then we have this...

THE PRESENCE OF AFRICAN INDIVIDUALS IN PUNIC POPULATIONS FROM THE ISLAND OF IBIZA (SPAIN): CONTRIBUTIONS FROM PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY

Nicholas Márquez-Grant*

The golden trade of the Moors: West African kingdoms in the fourteenth century
By E. W. Bovill, Robin Hallet
pp. 21-22

General History of Africa: Ancient civilizations of Africa By G. Mokhtar, Unesco. International Scientific Committee for the Drafting of a General History of Africa
p. 427

We also have the fact that the Phoneticians were so influenced by the Ancient Egyptians that they worshipped the god "Bes" who traces his origins to central Africa.

Diodorus Siculus (Book V. 16), writing in the 1st century BC, stated that Ibiza con- sisted of people from a variety of nationalities. Considering other Punic enclaves, human skeletal remains from Carthage, in North Africa, seem to indicate that there is no clear ethnic unity (Charles-Picard and Charles-Picard, 1958: 129), while epitaphs reveal the possi- ble presence of individuals of Cypriotic and Phoenician origins (Benichou-Safar, 1982: 184). According to historical sources, the spreading of Punic settlements in western Sardinia since the 4th century BC is associated with peasant and slave immigration from North Africa (van Dommelen, 1997: 313, citing Bondì, 1987: 181). In antiquity, slaves were obtained from areas in the Mediterranean as well as northern Europe (Thompson, 2003: 3-4). In ancient Greece and Rome, some members of society came from sub- Saharan Africa (see Snowden, 1970). In later periods, between the 5th and 8th centuries AD, the Iberian Peninsula and the Balearic Islands also received merchants from the Eastern and Central Mediterranean (García, 1972).

Mediaeval Ibiza has shown similar metric characteristics to mandibles from European Caucasoid, North African and sub-Saharan individuals (Gómez, 1989). Turning to Punic Ibiza, the material culture imported from around 600 BC onwards derives from the Central Mediterranean area. For this reason, it has been suggested that immigrants, especially from Sicily, Sardinia and Carthage, may have been present in Ibiza (Costa and Gómez, 1987: 53; Guerrero, 1997: 240, 248). Moreover, the administration in an urban centre was likely to have high status representatives from Carthage (Guerrero, 1997: 249). This link with North Africa also seems reasonable due to the presence in Ibiza of ostrich eggs (see Astruc, 1957), Egyptian scarabs (see Blázquez, 1967; Fernández and Padró, 1982), possibly the present-day Ibizan hound or ‘ca eivissenc’ (see Pedro, 1996; Cesarino, 1997: 98) and perhaps architecture (see Díes and Matamoros, 1989). Also, the presence of African individuals may be identified in artefacts such as terracotta figurines (see San Nicolás, 1987). Images of individuals with sub-Saharan physical features do seem to appear in earlier scarabs from Phoenician Ibiza (see Boardman, 2003). Finally, it is also worth noting that the name ‘Ibiza’derives from a Phoenician-Punic word linked to god Bes (Solá, 1956; Tarradell and Font, 1975: 232-233). This god has been represented in many of Ibiza’s Punic artefacts such as coins (see Planas et al., 1989). This deity, originally from the Egyptian pantheon, seems to have its roots in Equatorial Africa (Padró, 1978; Planas et al., 1989: 11). He served the main gods and was considered the protector of birth, sleep, love, marriage, childbirth and sexuality (Fernández, 1996). This evidence,8 however, only indicates an association with North Africa, mainly in terms of economy and culture.

The books were overall pretty good and gave some good information on the culture, people, and their beginnings. Not to mention they go into really good detail of the economic and political events that shaped not only Carthage but North Africa and the entire Mediterranean. Plus the source notes are also good to look at if you want to research further. I haven't seen Spartacus but I'll check it out.

We're pretty much on the same page here with the above quotes which is ironic considering that I have both the Golden Trade of the Moors in my library as well as Diodorus Siculus history volumes.

Of course you're gonna find Africans in Ibiza. Ibiza used to be a colony of Carthage and was one of their main ports in the med. Back then Ibiza was known as Ebusus and was conquered by Hamilcar (Hannibal's father) during a time where Carthage had suffered major losses during the Punic war that saw Rome take Sicily,Sardinia, and Corsica from them. But what is also fascinating about Ebusus is that Hamilcar's son in law Hasdrubal encouraged marriage between Carthaginians and Iberians.

He was the oldest son of the Carthaginian general Hamilcar Barca, who took the ten-year old boy to Iberia in 237. There were several Carthaginian cities in Andalusia: Gadir ("castle", modern Cádiz), Malkah ("royal town", Málaga) and New Carthage (Cartagena). The ancient name of Córdoba is unknown, although the Punic element Kart, "town", is still recognizable in its name.

Hamilcar added new territories to this informal empire. In this way, Carthage was compensated for its loss of overseas territories. The Roman historian Livy mentions that Hannibal's father forced his son to promise eternal hatred against the Romans. This may be an invention, but there may be some truth in the story: the Carthaginians had excellent reasons to hate their enemies.

When Hamilcar died (229), Hamilcar's son-in-law, the politician Hasdrubal the Fair, took over command. The new governor further improved the Carthaginian position by diplomatic means, among which was intermarriage between Carthaginians and Iberians. Hannibal married a native princess. It is likely that the young man visited Carthage in these years.
Hannibal Barca - Livius

We know for a fact that the indigenous population of Carthage was BLACK. But the fact is the problem lies with Hannibal HIMSELF. All we're saying(at least me that is) is that there is no physical remains of Carthage and most primary classical sources describing him are gone. Not only that while the bulk of Carthage was African, there were many non-African types such as those from Europe and thats a fact. So I don't get how being concerned about the true race of Hannibal is "speculation" when there is no remains of him or hardly any classical sources detailing him. Not only that many outsiders depict him in various ways. But I'll admit that I came across this online. A more later European depiction of Hannibal, but as black.

Let me clarify, I don't mind speculation and people presenting evidence. But I've seen enough of these conversations to know that when people talk about Hannibal's appearance they do so with zero context, zero knowledge of the culture and people, and zero knowledge of the time period and it results in spewing some eurocentric garbage or the usual "he ain't black cuz north Africans ain't black" shyt that's found all over the web (Which is happening in this thread at the moment). That's what I didn't want to see. I know that isn't your intention or mine but I can't say for others. I think he resembled the local population. But it's difficult without sources. And all of the sources pertaining to this period are Greco-Roman. Now back to regular scheduled programming.

I think there is a case to be made that people are over-estimating the amount of non-african immigrants flowing into Carthage apart from the Phoenicians themselves;especially during this time period. When the Phoenicians founded Carthage, it was estimated that only a few hundred settlers lived there.

Material of about the same date comes from Utica, and of seventh-or sixth century date from Leptis Magna (Lebda),Hadrumetum(Sousse, Tipasa, Siga (Rachgoun), Lixus( on the Oued Loukkos) and Mogador, the last being the most distant Phoenician settlement so far known. Finds of parallel date have been made at Motya in Sicily,Nora(Nuri), Sulcis and Tharros (Torre di S. Giovanni) in Sardinia and at Cadiz and Almunecar in Spain. It must be emphasized that, unlike the settlements which the Greeks were making in Sicily,Italy and elsewhere in the 8th and 7th centuries, all the Phoenician settlements including Carthage itself,remained small places, with perhaps no more than a few hundred settlers at most, for generations. Furthermore,they long remained political subordinate to Tyre as was to be expected having regard to their prime function as anchorages and supply points.
General History of Africa, II Ancient Civilizations of Africa, James Currey, p.247

Libyans and Numidians made up the bulk of Carthage's armies. But Carthage also employed mercenaries from places like Gaul,Spain, and Britain. So it isn't outside the realm of possibility that these soldiers permanently settled in the city. After all, Carthage was a metropolitan area that drew people from all over looking for economic opportunity. How many were there? No one really knows. But there were skeletal remains found of soldiers in the Carthaginian army.
UNESCO: General History of Africa
Edited by Dr. G. Mokhtar
The Proto-Berbers
By J. Desanges

“In about -7000 there appeared men of fairly tall stature, of Mediterranean race but not devoid of Negroid characteristics. They are known as Capsians…”

“In the Punic burial grounds, Negroid remains were not rare and there were black auxiliaries in the Carthaginian army who were certainly NOT Nilotics.”

No one can deny that there was a significant non-African population in Carthage. Diodorous Siculous mentions 4 races- the native Carthaginians (Afri), the Phoenicians, Libyans, and the mixed Libyan-Phoenicians. I just don't believe they were that significant to change the entire population. Out of the 4 races Siculous describes, Hannibal could range from dark skin to very light much like the local population.

louvre-bataille-zama.jpg

tumblr_n046rm7yVG1ssmm02o1_500.png

"The scene, which is based on Livy's account of the second Punic War in his History of Rome (XXX, 33, 4-16), depicts the last battle pitting Scipio and the Roman army against the Carthaginians. Elephants in the Carthaginian army's front lines are charging the Romans, toppling men and horses. On the left, an elephant startled by the blare of a trumpet and a horn turns on its own camp. In the foreground, Scipio, wearing a starry blue mantle, leads his men, urging them to push back the enemy with swords and javelins.The border along the sides and lower edge features a broad garland of flowers, fruits, small animals, and frolicking children. The upper part consists of an architrave, probably to comply with the dimensions requested by the first patron to commission a tapestry on this theme, the Maréchal de Saint-André, whose arms grace the upper corners."

I don't know why all his men are white/European.

And can you post some of the writings of Mago? That would be interesting.

It's interesting how he is depicted as black but his army is white as snow. Probably some iconography going on. As for Mago, you're gonna have to go to a library and read them unfortunately. His books were translated by Cassius Dionysius into volumes called De Agricultura . My local library has English translations.

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Sorry for the late reply.
The books were overall pretty good and gave some good information on the culture, people, and their beginnings. Not to mention they go into really good detail of the economic and political events that shaped not only Carthage but North Africa and the entire Mediterranean. Plus the source notes are also good to look at if you want to research further. I haven't seen Spartacus but I'll check it out.
So in the book do they go in depth about Hannibal's race? Or how classical authors described him.

We're pretty much on the same page here with the above quotes which is ironic considering that I have both the Golden Trade of the Moors in my library as well as Diodorus Siculus history volumes.

Of course you're gonna find Africans in Ibiza. Ibiza used to be a colony of Carthage and was one of their main ports in the med. Back then Ibiza was known as Ebusus and was conquered by Hamilcar (Hannibal's father) during a time where Carthage had suffered major losses during the Punic war that saw Rome take Sicily,Sardinia, and Corsica from them. But what is also fascinating about Ebusus is that Hamilcar's son in law Hasdrubal encouraged marriage between Carthaginians and Iberians.

Hannibal Barca - Livius

Interesting.

Let me clarify, I don't mind speculation and people presenting evidence. But I've seen enough of these conversations to know that when people talk about Hannibal's appearance they do so with zero context, zero knowledge of the culture and people, and zero knowledge of the time period and it results in spewing some eurocentric garbage or the usual "he ain't black cuz north Africans ain't black" shyt that's found all over the web (Which is happening in this thread at the moment). That's what I didn't want to see. I know that isn't your intention or mine but I can't say for others. I think he resembled the local population. But it's difficult without sources. And all of the sources pertaining to this period are Greco-Roman. Now back to regular scheduled programming.
Yeah, I agree that many people and not just Euronuts believe that North Africa has always been an extension of Europe and the Middle East. When it can it can be argued that the Levant,where the Phoenicians are said to come from mind you, is an extension of Africa.
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-levant-an-extension-of-africa-lets-take-a-look-shall-we.255052/

I mean the Levant shares the same tectonic plates as Africa! But still there are hardly any sources describing Hannibal's characteristics.

But maybe you can answer this question since @Hiphoplives4eva didn't respond to it yet. He said that one of the Hannibal statues is a fake. I think he is referring to this...
Hannibal-Barca.jpg

^^Do you have a source that says that? Been looking.

I think there is a case to be made that people are over-estimating the amount of non-african immigrants flowing into Carthage apart from the Phoenicians themselves;especially during this time period. When the Phoenicians founded Carthage, it was estimated that only a few hundred settlers lived there.

General History of Africa, II Ancient Civilizations of Africa, James Currey, p.247
WOW! This is pretty damn good.:clap:

And actually supports the argument big time that the original Phoenician settlers were absorbed by the indigenous population.

Libyans and Numidians made up the bulk of Carthage's armies. But Carthage also employed mercenaries from places like Gaul,Spain, and Britain. So it isn't outside the realm of possibility that these soldiers permanently settled in the city. After all, Carthage was a metropolitan area that drew people from all over looking for economic opportunity. How many were there? No one really knows. But there were skeletal remains found of soldiers in the Carthaginian army.
Recently there was a study that showed one Carthaginian male carried a European mtdna U5b2c1.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0155046.PDF

I don't know why they call the man a Phoenician when he is in fact from Byrsa. And Haplogroups only tell "ancestry" and not the whole puzzle which would be an autosomal test. We don't even know his Y-DNA, which could POSSIBLY be African E-M81 which most Northwest African males today(even the most pale ones) carry. That's like saying since some AAs carry European R1b in their Y-DNA they are now European... We DON'T have the full puzzle... Now if they did some DNA testings on those "negroid" Carthaginian remains(that were even elites) that we posted, then we know what answer we would get a different answer...

No one can deny that there was a significant non-African population in Carthage. Diodorous Siculous mentions 4 races- the native Carthaginians (Afri), the Phoenicians, Libyans, and the mixed Libyan-Phoenicians. I just don't believe they were that significant to change the entire population. Out of the 4 races Siculous describes, Hannibal could range from dark skin to very light much like the local population.
Interesting.

It's interesting how he is depicted as black but his army is white as snow. Probably some iconography going on. As for Mago, you're gonna have to go to a library and read them unfortunately. His books were translated by Cassius Dionysius into volumes called De Agricultura . My local library has English translations.

That sucks. So its only primary sources?

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Sorry for the late reply.

So in the book do they go in depth about Hannibal's race? Or how classical authors described him.

Unfortunately,no. I've been combing sources for years trying to find an authentic description on Hannibal and I haven't had any luck.

Interesting.

Yeah, I agree that many people and not just Euronuts believe that North Africa has always been an extension of Europe and the Middle East. When it can it can be argued that the Levant,where the Phoenicians are said to come from mind you, is an extension of Africa.
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-levant-an-extension-of-africa-lets-take-a-look-shall-we.255052/

I mean the Levant shares the same tectonic plates as Africa! But still there are hardly any sources describing Hannibal's characteristics.

Interesting. I'll take a look at that thread and contribute some material. Africa and the levant have always been connected. Egypt and Axum had an influence on the area. Not to mention people have been traveling and settling in that area for thousands of years. Many of them still retained their "Africaness" so to speak.

But maybe you can answer this question since @Hiphoplives4eva didn't respond to it yet. He said that one of the Hannibal statues is a fake. I think he is referring to this...
Hannibal-Barca.jpg

^^Do you have a source that says that? Been looking.

That's one of the busts found in Capua Italy. I read somewhere that it may be him later on in life but it may be unauthentic since there aren't any credible sources of his appearance anywhere. I'll have to find the article I read that in and link it to you. A few years ago, there were supposed busts of his family floating around but they're in a private collection and the pics have disappeared from the net. I'll take a look and see what I can find.

WOW! This is pretty damn good.:clap:

And actually supports the argument big time that the original Phoenician settlers were absorbed by the indigenous population.

Those are my thought's exactly. There was continued migration throughout the life of Carthage, but it wasn't in great numbers. Also it isn't out of the realm of possibility that those migrants were noble families and wealthy aristocrats that contributed to the amount of wealth that Carthage possessed.

Recently there was a study that showed one Carthaginian male carried a European mtdna U5b2c1.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0155046.PDF

I don't know why they call the man a Phoenician when he is in fact from Byrsa. And Haplogroups only tell "ancestry" and not the whole puzzle which would be an autosomal test. We don't even know his Y-DNA, which could POSSIBLY be African E-M81 which most Northwest African males today(even the most pale ones) carry. That's like saying since some AAs carry European R1b in their Y-DNA they are now European... We DON'T have the full puzzle... Now if they did some DNA testings on those "negroid" Carthaginian remains(that were even elites) that we posted, then we know what answer we would get a different answer...

For all we know, this one guy could have been part of that immigrant class that made it's way to Carthage during it's height like alot of people did. He could have been a slave. He could've been anything. But you already know the agenda when it comes to North Africa,especially when you have people hailing the "Mediterranean race" model as if these people aren't a mix of African and Southwest Asian. I'll be waiting on those studies for sure.

That sucks. So its only primary sources?

Unfortunately, yes. Mago's story is kind of boring and uninteresting compared to Hannibal's and the backdrop of the Punic wars. When Carthage was destroyed, they gave their library to the Numidians but took Mago's work back to Rome where they translated it into Greek and Latin. It was vital to them in improving their farming techniques, trade deals, and their food preparation. Mago is one of the reasons why the Romans were hailed for their food , trade, and agricultural structure. And that is a big part of the reason why Carthage was so wealthy.