Hip Hop Is Delicious Poison. Glorification Of Murder Is My Issue With Hip Hop. No Boundaries Exist - Dee-1

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
He said he wanted to do the Superfly soundtrack because of what he saw as a kid growing up in the projects in Chicago. He said as a storyteller he felt he could put those experiences in song form and express what the generation saw everyday.

But he also said that it was foolish to complain about the music and films without cleaning up the conditions first. He said, "the rappers today speak about what they see and know because these are conditions they've been forced to live in. So instead of speaking about changing the art, we should focus more on changing the conditions the people grow up in first".
(Steering the conversation back to the posted interviews) Which is exactly what Dee-1 and other activist rappers are trying to do by speaking to the youth, condemning the murder of Black people, promoting education, calling out the promotion of Black genocide to impressionable youth, and other activities.
Unfortunately, like you said in an earlier post, that message & those messengers are "corny".
Maybe Dee-1 and people with a similar message should stop actually standing for something and just give away turkeys instead.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
(Steering the conversation back to the posted interviews) Which is exactly what Dee-1 and other activist rappers are trying to do by speaking to the youth, condemning the murder of Black people, promoting education, calling out the promotion of Black genocide to impressionable youth, and other activities.
Unfortunately, like you said in an earlier post, that message & those messengers are "corny".
Maybe Dee-1 and people with a similar message should stop actually standing for something and just give away turkeys instead.

Nah, the message isn't corny, at all. Dude is corny. And a fraud.

Because it's disingenuous. He's more worried about how he's not being celebrated and how what he does isn't being pushed as much as other sh*t. That's self-interest being pushed under the guise of "I care about our people". No, he cares about himself. Over the years, he's always talked about how everything he's tried in music doesn't seem to work and that's why he felt he suffered from "imposter syndrome". He's been 27 different kinds of rapper since he first started making music. None of them worked. So today, the tactic is to go after what he thinks is working by condemning it. Rather than building with people who aren't doing what he's focusing on to make an actual difference. It's dishonest and theatrics.

When he was rapping about f*cking h*es and driving luxury whips, he was perfectly fine with doing what everyone else was. But when it didn't work for him, he tried a bunch of other sh*t that also didn't work. So he's no Chuck D. He's a failed flossy rapper, who has tried to do all the sh*t he's complaining about now, but wasn't able to succeed with it.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Because it's disingenuous. He's more worried about how he's not being celebrated and how what he does isn't being pushed as much as other sh*t. That's self-interest being pushed under the guise of "I care about our people". No, he cares about himself. Over the years, he's always talked about how everything he's tried in music doesn't seem to work and that's why he felt he suffered from "imposter syndrome". He's been 27 different kinds of rappers since he first started making music. None of them worked. So today, the tactic is to go after what he thinks is working by condemning it. Rather than building with people who aren't doing what he's focusing on to make an actual difference. It's dishonest and theatrics.

When he was rapping about f*cking h*es and driving luxury whips, he was perfectly fine with doing what everyone else was. But when it didn't work for him, he tried a bunch of other sh*t that also didn't work. So he's no Chuck D. He's a failed flossy rapper, who has tried to do all the sh*t he's complaining about now, but wasn't able to succeed with it.

This.

There are artists who have been successful without making music that glorifies death, but those artists get dissected and tron down like no other. We see it with Common and Lauryn Hill. People like to use terms like self righteous and preachy to describe them. People blamed Kanye for turning Hip Hop soft. Drake gets knocked for being a fraud because he makes songs like "Mob Ties" (and yes I'm aware he has writers, which is also a reason he's called a fraud). Kendrick and Cole are also knocked for being "soft" and not "street enough" to be faces for the culture. So what it says to me is that there are certain consumers who would rather have the music that glorifies death.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
This.

There are artists who have been successful without making music that glorifies death, but those artists get dissected and tron down like no other. We see it with Common and Lauryn Hill. People like to use terms like self righteous and preachy to describe them. People blamed Kanye for turning Hip Hop soft. Drake gets knocked for being a fraud because he makes songs like "Mob Ties" (and yes I'm aware he has writers, which is also a reason he's called a fraud). Kendrick and Cole are also knocked for being "soft" and not "street enough" to be faces for the culture. So what it says to me is that there are certain consumers who would rather have the music that glorifies death.

EXACTLY!

Every type of artist is going to be scrutinized in Hip Hop. That's just how it is. But the culture was based on authenticity. And when you've spent years trying to do the exact same thing that now you're trying to condemn, you just look ridiculous. And like a liar. It didn't work for dude. So when he couldn't succeed at it, he got mad at the people who it actually did work for, in his opinion. That's not "righteousness", that's bitterness.

The actual righteous artists don’t have songs in their catalogues where they're doing things they act like they have an issue with today. You're not gonna find any X-Clan tracks where Brother J talks about stunting, folding bills and f*cking light-skinned chicks around the way, lol. You never heard Chuck D speak about how all the other rappers were broke and he's making mad money and laughing at the dudes with 9-to-5 jobs. Because the artists who are authentic never had to switch up to get attention. They were successful staying true to their art, and never had to resort to antics to get shine.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

Because it's disingenuous. He's more worried about how he's not being celebrated and how what he does isn't being pushed as much as other sh*t. That's self-interest being pushed under the guise of "I care about our people". No, he cares about himself. Over the years, he's always talked about how everything he's tried in music doesn't seem to work and that's why he felt he suffered from "imposter syndrome". He's been 27 different kinds of rapper since he first started making music. None of them worked. So today, the tactic is to go after what he thinks is working by condemning it. Rather than building with people who aren't doing what he's focusing on to make an actual difference. It's dishonest and theatrics.

I don't know, man. Dee-1 is a Grammy-nominated artist, he has won NAACP awards for his music, he has made it onto the Billboard Top 10, he won the NOLA Underground Artist of the year, and other awards for his music. He was also the Nasir Jones Musical (yes, that Nasir Jones) Fellowship recipient at Harvard. There are a lot of musicians who would kill for that level of failure.

Nevertheless, whether or not Dee-1 has had the same career success as Hov doesn't invalidate anything he said in his interview.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I don't know, man. Dee-1 is a Grammy-nominated artist, he has won NAACP awards for his music, he has made it onto the Billboard Top 10, he won the NOLA Underground Artist of the year, and other awards for his music. He was also the Nasir Jones Musical (yes, that Nasir Jones) Fellowship recipient at Harvard. There are a lot of musicians who would kill for that level of failure.

Nevertheless, whether or not Dee-1 has had the same career success as Hov doesn't invalidate anything he said in his interview.

I get that.

But none of those things can fix what bro thinks is wrong with himself and his career. Dudes like Skee-Lo were nominated for multiple Grammy's, and he said he felt like he wanted to kill himself after he couldn't get radio-play anymore, following "I Wish". If you don’t like who you are, or have an issue with your own success of lack thereof, you need to manage that away from doing what this dude is doing.

You can't be out here trying to condemn sh*t you tried and couldn't succeed with. It's just a convenient way to pretend your efforts are pro-black. And I think that's an insult to the community. If you're really about the people, focus on the people. Not on how your music isn't getting the attention you think it should because you're not doing this and that, like the artists who push "negativity". Even though, you were one of those artists before, lol.

The message is no different than the one Professor Griff, Lakim Shabazz, and mad others spoke about over 30 years ago, in Hip Hop. Difference is, those dudes were authentic and actually lived their whole lives as artists in that movement. They didn't switch to it after they failed at doing what they condemned today.

Last edited:

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
UGK and 8Ball & MJG started Trap Music in the Souf...

They're Southern Legends...

If u really wanna be technical, Rae and Ghost made a Trap album with Only Built 4 Cuban Linx with a bit of East Coast flavor

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Thank you for his background. He can actually spit. Thanks for the info and links.

@Art Barr he can actually rhyme. But like you, I'm weary of new artists. Him on Sway and major schools IS credible. But only time will tell.

This nikka is a complete novice as a rapper.

He is one of these new safe terms. To not say someone is wack.
Like a church rapper and not an emcee.

Stop.
nikka huff as hell.

All these ol extra face ass terms nikkaz got for what is supposed to be a skilled emcee and it is cap.

You can not fool me with these homebody sheltered wanna he's and toys.

they need to stop this shyt.
nobody is fooled.
By these fake ass wannabe's.
all these I watched eight mile face asss nikkaz black white or Asian. Gon the fukk on somewhere.

You are not talented.

I do not care how much you try to fake like you are..

Or try to follow the same steps.

No one in the know is fooled.

by you sheltered homebody face ass rappers.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Sir Brehsington

Mr. Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsidential Housing
I get it. I used to defend rap music and had numerous debates with people and even got heated in some instances. However, as a grown ass man I can honestly say...there is no defense for some of this shyt. Not just new shyt either. Some of this old shyt, shyt that I bumped and frankly still bump is not good for the community. It's hard to acknowledge that something that you like, or even love, is actually harmful and destructive. The problem so many of us have when discussing this is that we can only see how it is impacting us. And if I am strong willed, confident, intelligent person that has healthy guidance I am less likely to succumb to the negative influence. I can just see it as entertainment and keep it moving and it's hard to recognize that there are plenty of folks not as fortunate as me that are being poisoned by these messages.

And yes the same is true for movies and video games. The thing that separates rap is that nikkas aren't actually dying over movies. Tom Hanks and Kevin Costner didn't both die in a gang related beef that played out in their movies with a generation of actors coming up following their lead. Nobody cares whether or not Michael B. Jordan really got hands. Nobody is trying to fight him in real life. Nobody cares if an actor snitches or gets beat up. You still gonna watch their movie. There is a clear line of distinction between what plays out on screen and what is going on in real life. Rappers stay dying and/or catching cases because the line between the music and actual street shyt has been blurred to the point that it really doesn't exist. This is harming black folks more than anybody else. It's our culture and it's harming our culture. White kids ain't killing and getting killed at the same rate as black kids. They ain't getting locked up at the same rate as black kids.
Well said breh.

Sir Brehsington

Mr. Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsidential Housing
First off.

nikka who.

not even pressing play before i say this.

we got people who not real emcees.
always speaking about hiphop culture and the business of rap.
Plus not talembout how gangsta rap is a complete misappropriated construct.
that was taken and engineered by the same white guy

who wanted to market rock.
as vigilante music. So trying to speak and not know any of this. Then talk about rap and not speak on this is dishonest. Plus shows a culture thief with disconnect speaking out of turn.

With that said

Someone give me some idea about who the fukk this is.

As i am not fukkin uo my digital foot print with no offbrand face ass nikkas at this point. So somebody tell me who the fukk this is and why is he being ssked about hiphop.

Art Barr
This ain't about
Problem is, when you make statements like that, you sound like the same people outside of the community who don’t really listen to the music and don't point out how much of a variety is out there in the music. Hip Hop isn't one thing. There isn't one type of message in the culture. So by saying that "Hip Hop glorifies" this and that, you're sounding ridiculous and lumping artists who don’t speak on those things in with the rest that do.

You can spend two seconds acknowledging not all artists do it, but if you're gonna spend all your time focusing on what you see as the "negative" aspects of the culture, you're actually just shining a bigger light on it. If he chose to invest this much energy into speaking about all the artists who haven't glorified the negativity and violence, no one would speak to dude, so that's why he's doing this.

Hip Hop is way too diverse to stand on comments that act like everyone is doing the same thing. Or like fans don’t champion people who don’t speak on those things. And that's why this dude is corny. He knows he can get a good 10 minute AOD interview saying sh*t like this because people will react. And this is the most attention dude has ever received. Way more than for his music. So this isn't some radical statement. Hip Hop has always had these elements, just as it's had others. That's not new, but it's also not what Hip Hop as a whole is about. So when you say dumb sh*t like that, you expose yourself, and you're doing a disservice to all the artists who've been making music forever and NOT glorifying violence or any of that type of sh*t.

Dude's early music was full of him talking about how he's cashing checks and how he's copping red Benz's with red rims and f*cking redbones and all that. That lane didn't work for him, so now he's trying to be 2024 Arrested Development. Hip Hop is really theatre, lol.

His message is, "You're going to be a part of the minority if you make music like me, and I'm mad that the sh*t that glorifies things I don’t speak about gets more attention". His music is "healthy like Whole Foods" and the "negavity is McDonalds". FOH! There are still plenty of successful MC's who don’t glorify the sh*t he calls "unhealthy". Thing is, his own music was good enough to be in that bracket. So instead of admitting that he can't f*ck with the Cole's, Nas's and Kendrick's and other MC's currently winning, he would rather lie to himself and people by acting like it's because he isn't glorifying killing and negativity. These weirdos never cease to amaze.
Post the songs with him "fukking redbones" - I didnt hear that.

Sir Brehsington

Mr. Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsidential Housing
This nikka is a complete novice as a rapper.

He is one of these new safe terms. To not say someone is wack.
Like a church rapper and not an emcee.

Stop.
nikka huff as hell.

All these ol extra face ass terms nikkaz got for what is supposed to be a skilled emcee and it is cap.

You can not fool me with these homebody sheltered wanna he's and toys.

they need to stop this shyt.
nobody is fooled.
By these fake ass wannabe's.
all these I watched eight mile face asss nikkaz black white or Asian. Gon the fukk on somewhere.

You are not talented.

I do not care how much you try to fake like you are..

Or try to follow the same steps.

No one in the know is fooled.

by you sheltered homebody face ass rappers.

Art Barr
Bro you been pump faking a long time now.

Where the fukk is ur album???

Sir Brehsington

Mr. Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsidential Housing
Facts. Turkeys for the win. We been doing that for damn near 40 years. shyt is just an empty gesture at this point.

These posters are not black or really from the hood. Cause they would be sick and tired of seeing the cycle of violence and bullshyt our people been tbrough.

They don't mind the negative affects of shyt that happens because they really not around it.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Bro you been pump faking a long time now.

Where the fukk is ur album???

I am still coming back financially from corona. Corona whipped my ass breh. I literally have to start over. When the banks shut off during corona.

That ended me.

Oh this is deflection.
I will bite and give a bit of insight behind the managerial curtain at dot Inc llc.

I like that it is interest here.
to hear me still be an emcee.

In the real world people who lost contact are like. Where yo music at nikka. I want it.. get me music. So i get it. Sorry.

Life is some other shyt.

That i kinda still look at it as i got lucky enough to be a draw as an emcee even past skill drive or talent. Given life hiccups between rhyme to rhyme.

Hiphop and life has not changed. The prohibitive tale that should be in rap never changed either. If you create issued via more based neglect. outside of the issue life can just cause period. It will be difficult to be successful. Right now I am living the same general important lesson from the Roxanne wars. I knew back in 1984. To try to navigate around when I older. I had a child out of wedlock. Which in general stops a career in music. I just am not specifically immune to what atypically happens to emcees that fail to wear a condom every time. It is what it is.
.it is by grace of God they had a gold rush in rap.
at the end of the era.
when I debuted. So people think thing changed as far as cultural rule when it has not. Yet in that.
I still fell into the same pitfalls.
that usually were and generally are a death sentence.
to a general artist career in music.
Plus known to stop grassroots emcees dead in their headlining drawing tracks.

I just was not special in that regard. To be immune to playing roulette in that particular arena of my life. That now I always still wear condoms.

They say it is ten percent talent and ninety percent other things. In the intangible department I got a good bit of the ninety percent to draw in a headliner grassroots manner.
Yet as far as the resources and the full ninety percent of the intangibles.
I have failed and paid the price. Exactly how the culture says I was gonna pay being a poverty maker.

So if you an emcee.

Stop trying to be slick and think you can beat norms since the Roxanne war. Wear a condom.

Art Barr

*brand table hiphop culture public service announcement

Art Barr

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Facts. Turkeys for the win. We been doing that for damn near 40 years. shyt is just an empty gesture at this point.

These posters are not black or really from the hood. Cause they would be sick and tired of seeing the cycle of violence and bullshyt our people been tbrough.

They don't mind the negative affects of shyt that happens because they really not around it.

No thr problem is trying to allow them to scapegoat a culture that is nonviolent. Simply because the subject speaking out of turn.
are a toy flaug'n about their obvious lack and knowledge of hiphop culture and history of its pillars.

Hiphop did not create crack.
That created this ratcheted up level of violence that now revolves and is misappropriated wrongly as American domestic ferocity behind profits from open air crack sales. Which do not exist in that manner in an urban air drug market. in the extreme gross negligence times of the golden era in rap to the beginning of rhe gold rush for mainstream rap at the start of the gateway to the communications act.

This whole idea of, people speaking out of turn who were not cognitive.
Plus not even well studied.
about which they do not know is the issue. While also not being of the culture and not knowing the mores and norms of rhe culture. Plus not even being skilled in the pillar of emcee'n. To even have an audience in rhe first place to speak culturally about hiphop.

This dude is the equivalent of a an under cover culture thief Uber verse c Delores tucker. Where instead of getting a former reverend or church figure like AL Sharpton. They create a witch hunt against cultures.
from origins they want to misappropriate and create a false narrative to monetize.

Miss me with these fake ass toys.

Who lean into allowing the government.
that facts exist on sending us completely off.
Then creating actual laws to cover up their own illegal drug trade. Then try to pass it off.
on black people including the culture of hiphop. After misappropriation of anything.
it feels it can monetize from any pillar of hiphop systemically from a non violent culture. It is the same lie Hitler told to black people. like nazi culture was safe for black people. While not letting it be generally known in fact. Hitler destroy black schools to the point the way of life and education we are and should seek worldwide I can not even properly pronounce. That Hitler not only destroyed black education systemically. Along with black Germans just like jews were harmed. Just cultural misappropriation on that same level to hiphop is occurring. That the word needed to educated us. has been systemically wiped from general knowledge and of course the black lexicon. I feel this fool is perpetuating this same ill. By trying to lean into hiphop being the cause for issues in the black community and it is a lie.

The prison industrial economy and mind state purposefully crafted to misappropriate gangsta rap and make it a complete vigilante cultural ideal away from hiphop into a much a large doscovrry to gemreal gateway entity is the issue.

What is occurring is systemic general knowledge of hiphop culture. For gangsta rap which is a complete misappropriated construct.
that was compromised purposefully by Jerry heller.

The person who crafted and marketed American white vigilante-ism in music. So trying to even sit and listen to some novice homebody church rapper. Who will sit and play this whole game in the press. While never showcasing any real factual knowledge about heller to the communication act and how all this played a part in how things are. That there is no way.
.anyone who is so called educated on an ivy league endorse level anything. Is gonna sit and not get right to the norms and norms and debunk. Anyone trying to scapegoat hiphop. When they are referencing gangsta rap and not making a distinction. Plus not indepthly going behind the factual explosive draw of how gangsta rap or ruthless records runs the world in a short buzzword statement came to be.

I will not sit while a toy lies to the public. Plus lies about being skilled too.
.naw.. not goin.

...art barr

Last edited: