Hip Hop Is Delicious Poison. Glorification Of Murder Is My Issue With Hip Hop. No Boundaries Exist - Dee-1

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This dude is tripping me out. All the best for him.

Hip hop is expression. Better put into music then the street - but leave an empowering message and make it dope along the way.

How old is this kid? He comes off like he's a major authority on hip hop - his messages have merit - but he trips me out. Like he comes off like he has it all together. Life figured out.

What's his biography? What does he do for money?
this conversation is about rap and how it affects Black people, really Black youth. not relevant to you.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
What I'm telling you is that I want you to answer me as to why we as Black people should want those evil old things glorified and pushed on our impressionable youth.

Nobody has said black people should want anything. Does rap music turn non killers into killers? Does rap music turn people into career criminals? This is the question you need to answer

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Nobody has said black people should want anything. Does rap music turn non killers into killers? Does rap music turn people into career criminals? This is the question you need to answer
I'm still waiting for you to tell me why you're okay with, and defending, evil being glorified and promoted to our impressionable youth. You keep avoiding that.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
What I'm telling you is that I want you to answer me as to why we as Black people should want those evil old things glorified and pushed on our impressionable youth.

We can even omit the "impressionable youth" qualifier tbh. Why would Black people want anti-Black content pushed at all. Why in the world are Black men defending content that celebrates the deaths of Black males and calling it entertainment when the leading cause of death for Black males between the ages of 1-44 is homicide. It's not like the overarching theme of these songs is "stop the violence", it's naked glorification of something that in any non-"entertainment" context we'd call a problem.

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
He said he wanted to do the Superfly soundtrack because of what he saw as a kid growing up in the projects in Chicago. He said as a storyteller he felt he could put those experiences in song form and express what the generation saw everyday.

But he also said that it was foolish to complain about the music and films without cleaning up the conditions first. He said, "the rappers today speak about what they see and know because these are conditions they've been forced to live in. So instead of speaking about changing the art, we should focus more on changing the conditions the people grow up in first".

Exactly why I don’t bother with the convo cause people ain’t serious

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
We can even omit the "impressionable youth" qualifier tbh. Why would Black people want anti-Black content pushed at all. Why in the world are Black men defending content that celebrates the deaths of Black males and calling it entertainment when the leading cause of death for Black males between the ages of 1-44 is homicide. It's not like the overarching theme of these songs is "stop the violence", it's naked glorification of something that in any non-"entertainment" context we'd call a problem.
Good point.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
you can’t blame rap music. you have to address why street culture is attractive to young men.
When I was young, knowledge of self and Black pride were attractive to me because that's what my favorite rappers promoted. I wore my Black medallion, read Malcolm X, and studied Black history because of rap music. Chuck D taught me who Assata Shakur is. Brother J taught me about Imhotep & Isis. Brand Nubian, Wu-Tang, & Poor Righteous Teachers taught me Supreme Mathematics. Kid & Play taught me to dance. Big Daddy Kane taught me how to be fly. The Fresh Prince inspired my sense of humor. De La and Tribe taught me that it is cool to be myself. Rap taught me all of that.
If I (and other kids) could be attracted to those positive things by rap, then it is also understandable that today's youth can be attracted to the steady diet of drugs, bytches & nikkas, smoking on opp packs, stupidity, materialism, ratchetness, and negativity that their music is pushing to them. :yeshrug:

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm still waiting for you to tell me why you're okay with, and defending, evil being glorified and promoted to our impressionable youth. You keep avoiding that.

Im not avoiding anything. I’m ok with whatever anyone wants to do. I’m not the police of anyone. I’m not judgmental and I’m not holier than thou. What you fail to admit and wanna dance around though, is that rap music does not create killers or turn people into criminals.