Hip Hop Is Delicious Poison. Glorification Of Murder Is My Issue With Hip Hop. No Boundaries Exist - Dee-1

Sir Brehsington

Mr. Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsidential Housing
He was a high school teacher and actually taught Fredo Bang and Gee Money from TBG.

You can’t get any more “outside” ground level with Black youth than that.

How are YOU outside with the yungins that aren’t your own?

Word. Black male teachers/mentors are too rare. The stats are there.

i realized a lot of cats are cool on all the bullshyt happening in our hoods. I been peeped it. They have no solutions and just roll with fukkery. Coward shyt. I respect those that really are on the ground level dealing with the hate and destructive crisis versus making excuses.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For the record, people made the same exact talking points about Blaxploixation films, which includes Superfly. Those movies aren't being made anymore. So its stupid when people say there's a difference between characters in a movie and what is said in a song. If people were saying Superfly was destroying Black youth, which was a character in a movie, then you can't say with a straight face that its different.

And just to give you another example, Styles P calls himself Pinero, which is combination of Al Pacino and Robert Dinero government names. They've played other characters outside of gansgters, but those gangster roles is so attached to who they are people associate their real names to the character and content of their movie roles. Its not different from music.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
For the record, people made the same exact talking points about Blaxploixation films, which includes Superfly. Those movies aren't being made anymore. So its stupid when people say there's a difference between characters in a movie and what is said in a song. If people were saying Superfly was destroying Black youth, which was a character in a movie, then you can't say with a straight face that its different.

And just to give you another example, Styles P calls himself Pinero, which is combination of Al Pacino and Robert Dinero government names. They've played other characters outside of gansgters, but those gangster roles is so attached to who they are people associate their real names to the character and content of their movie roles. Its not different from music.

Al Pacino any time he's not on set pretending to be Tony Montana - Harmless articulate nice guy who wouldn't hurt a fly.

Average rapper - Plays hard at all times, downplays his intelligence to seem cool, or like some super thug, despite it being a partial or even complete lie

Someone like Rick Ross - Hasn't broken character in over 15 years and would still have you believe he was a notorious drug lord, despite endless evidence to the contrary.

They are not the same.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh, Al Pacino and Robert Dinero don't have to go on TV and talk about being gangsters. Act like there aren't shirts with Scarface on them. Al Pacino to a lot of people is the guy who played Scarface or even Scarface. Robert Dinero has played real life mobsters or mob affiliates.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Probably not, since Pusherman was made for a movie soundtrack, and Curtis Mayfield (R.I.P.) made message/conscious music from the time he went solo until he passed away.

Was nikkas selling dope because of Pusherman or did Curtis Mayfield create Pusherman because nikkas was selling dope?

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Problem is, when you make statements like that, you sound like the same people outside of the community who don’t really listen to the music and don't point out how much of a variety is out there in the music. Hip Hop isn't one thing. There isn't one type of message in the culture. So by saying that "Hip Hop glorifies" this and that, you're sounding ridiculous and lumping artists who don’t speak on those things in with the rest that do.

You can spend two seconds acknowledging not all artists do it, but if you're gonna spend all your time focusing on what you see as the "negative" aspects of the culture, you're actually just shining a bigger light on it. If he chose to invest this much energy into speaking about all the artists who haven't glorified the negativity and violence, no one would speak to dude, so that's why he's doing this.

Hip Hop is way too diverse to stand on comments that act like everyone is doing the same thing. Or like fans don’t champion people who don’t speak on those things. And that's why this dude is corny. He knows he can get a good 10 minute AOD interview saying sh*t like this because people will react. And this is the most attention dude has ever received. Way more than for his music. So this isn't some radical statement. Hip Hop has always had these elements, just as it's had others. That's not new, but it's also not what Hip Hop as a whole is about. So when you say dumb sh*t like that, you expose yourself, and you're doing a disservice to all the artists who've been making music forever and NOT glorifying violence or any of that type of sh*t.

Dude's early music was full of him talking about how he's cashing checks and how he's copping red Benz's with red rims and f*cking redbones and all that. That lane didn't work for him, so now he's trying to be 2024 Arrested Development. Hip Hop is really theatre, lol.

His message is, "You're going to be a part of the minority if you make music like me, and I'm mad that the sh*t that glorifies things I don’t speak about gets more attention". His music is "healthy like Whole Foods" and the "negavity is McDonalds". FOH! There are still plenty of successful MC's who don’t glorify the sh*t he calls "unhealthy". Thing is, his own music was good enough to be in that bracket. So instead of admitting that he can't f*ck with the Cole's, Nas's and Kendrick's and other MC's currently winning, he would rather lie to himself and people by acting like it's because he isn't glorifying killing and negativity. These weirdos never cease to amaze.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Curtis Mayfield recorded Pusherman because he was paid to do so.

He said he wanted to do the Superfly soundtrack because of what he saw as a kid growing up in the projects in Chicago. He said as a storyteller he felt he could put those experiences in song form and express what the generation saw everyday.

But he also said that it was foolish to complain about the music and films without cleaning up the conditions first. He said, "the rappers today speak about what they see and know because these are conditions they've been forced to live in. So instead of speaking about changing the art, we should focus more on changing the conditions the people grow up in first".

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's not what I meant. And I don't see why that would even matter if we're talking about influence. If we're just talking about the music, those interviews are irrelevant because that's not what people are connecting with. The interviews are secondary.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He said he wanted to do the Superfly soundtrack because of what he saw as a kid growing up in the projects in Chicago. He said as a storyteller he felt he could put those experiences in song form and express what the generation saw everyday.

But he also said that it was foolish to complain about the music and films without cleaning up the conditions first. He said, "the rappers today speak about what they see and know because these are conditions they've been forced to live in. So instead of speaking about changing the art, we should focus more on changing the conditions the people grow up in first".

And this is exactly what I've been saying all along and anybody that's seeing the music as a problem and not the conditions are the ones who are pawns and are being used as distractions to the real issues.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
So Curtis mayfield did not write the song? Someone wrote it for him? He did not create the lyrics himself? And were people selling drugs because of these lyrics, or were these lyrics created because people were selling drugs
I don't know who the writers, engineer, producer, or band director were. You can google those people, I guess.
I think the point that you're trying to make is that people sold and used drugs prior to the Superfly soundtrack was released. They were, obviously. There were also pimps before Priest (the late, great Ron O'Neal's character) threatened to put Fat Freddie's wife on the track. There was also betrayal before Eddie turned on Priest. Crime, sin, sex, drugs and murder all predate Pusherman, but none of that has anything to do with what was said in the posted interviews.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
And this is exactly what I've been saying all along and anybody that's seeing the music as a problem and not the conditions are the ones who are pawns and are being used as distractions to the real issues.

Truth.

Just-Ice used to speak about street sh*t back in the 80's. He said they always asked him why he spoke about that all the time, and he said it's because when he leaves his building that was all he saw. It was what he knew. If you look out the window and all you see is crime and violence, naturally, that's what you feel comfortable expressing in your stories. It's what you experience on a daily basis.

B.I.G. said the same thing. "If I was working at McDonald's and slinging cheeseburgers, I could rap about that, but that's not my life. I rap about what I see on my block". So when people try to take aim at the MC's but ignore why they're speaking about what they're speaking about, it really shows how out of touch they are with the conditions these dudes grew up in and what they've always been surrounded by.