NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
You have to go a little deeper into the characters to understand some of those parts. It's a movie that you will get more and more, if you watch again in a year or so.

Little insight into Neil's character, is a familiar theme in Mann's work, is that it's very much in line with his character, to essentially fall in love with someone, whom he doesn't know very well. "I know enough". They don't lay a lot of this out, but in Mann's Thief, James Cann character explains it a lot more expansively. Also, the scene at the dinner, you notice everyone has a partner, and Neil doesn't, so he walks out and makes a phone call, connecting with Edie. It's that split second decision. And he doubts himself enough to walk away, there's a scene where she says "what's wrong", and he pauses like he's lost, because he knows he's tripping, and then looks up again, and says "Nothing's wrong everythings right, say you'll go"

it has to happen fast, or else it won't happen at all.

When you are a professional criminal, you run so fast, so long, you stop for air, and end up falling in love, almost arbitrarily with someone, who you let your guard down with. And since he's a professional criminal, in his mind, he has no time or space for that process of falling in love, you need to roll now or not, and he tells her as much. Another theme in Mann's movies, is the idea that time is luck.

He tells her this too. As in, we only have right now. He could be done or dead next week, next morning. There's no time for meeting families, or going back and forth, like a rom com (or real life dating) we have this window right now to do this.

Brother, you nailed it perfectly, and this is even expanded upon further in Collateral,
Vincent: "I Ching, adapt, roll with it"

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You have to go a little deeper into the characters to understand some of those parts. It's a movie that you will get more and more, if you watch again in a year or so.

Little insight into Neil's character, is a familiar theme in Mann's work, is that it's very much in line with his character, to essentially fall in love with someone, whom he doesn't know very well. "I know enough". They don't lay a lot of this out, but in Mann's Thief, James Cann character explains it a lot more expansively. Also, the scene at the dinner, you notice everyone has a partner, and Neil doesn't, so he walks out and makes a phone call, connecting with Edie. It's that split second decision. And he doubts himself enough to walk away, there's a scene where she says "what's wrong", and he pauses like he's lost, because he knows he's tripping, and then looks up again, and says "Nothing's wrong everythings right, say you'll go"

When you are a professional criminal, you run so fast, so long, you stop for air, and end up falling in love, almost arbitrarily with someone, who you let your guard down with. And since he's a professional criminal, in his mind, he has no time or space for that process of falling in love, you need to roll now or not, and he tells her as much. Another theme in Mann's movies, is the idea that time is luck.

He tells her this too. As in, we only have right now. He could be done or dead next week, next morning. There's no time for meeting families, or going back and forth, like a rom com (or real life dating) we have this window right now to do this.

This is one of the best breakdowns of Heat I've ever read :ohlawd:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
something is just amateurish about the writing in this movie. i dont think its a stretch to say it's not mentioned among classic movies

It's mentioned all the time. That's why we have probably a dozen threads on this movie on this board alone. In fact, the bank robbery scene is known around Hollywood as one of the best action sequences of all time. It is what inspired a lot of Nolan's work and several action and crime movies that came after including The Dark Knight and The Town etc.

But you want to discuss acting, I mean the DeNiro and Pacino diner scene is also one of the most classic scenes in modern cinema. Everyone acted their ass off in this film. You're alone on your take.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But you want to discuss acting, I mean the DeNiro and Pacino diner scene is also one of the most classic scenes in modern cinema.
there's nothing classic about that scene, besides people gassing it up because ":krs: it's finally deniro and pacino". that scene is overrated as fukk:mjlol:

"don't take scores :unimpressed:
i take scores. you try to stop me :unimpressed:"

it's easily a not worth mentioning scene out of both their careers:mjlol:both actors have countless better scenes

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
there's nothing classic about that scene, besides people gassing it up because ":krs: it's finally deniro and pacino". that scene is overrated as fukk:mjlol:

"don't take scores :unimpressed:
i take scores. you try to stop me :unimpressed:"

it's easily a not worth mentioning scene out of both their careers:mjlol:both actors have countless better scenes

egmjfA.gif

Marks

as a mountain
Daps

That diner scene in Thief is basically Mann's whole career, his obsession. Quite a few of his movies basically centered around that efficient professional who end up in one last test situation and most of them "fail" that last time. Caan's character in Thief "passes" because that prison experience showed him what to do...it just costs you everything. It always costs you everything (in that moment).

"You gotta forget time. You gotta not give a fukk if you live or die. You gotta get to where nothing means nothing."

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
That diner scene in Thief is basically Mann's whole career, his obsession. Quite a few of his movies basically centered around that efficient professional who end up in one last test situation and most of them "fail" that last time. Caan's character in Thief "passes" because that prison experience showed him what to do...it just costs you everything. It always costs you everything (in that moment).

"You gotta forget time. You gotta not give a fukk if you live or die. You gotta get to where nothing means nothing."

We hear a lot about "coked out" performances from actors

Nah

THIS is a dude on coke during a movie :laff:

This and Rodney Dangerfield in caddyshack are top tier 80s drug shyt