old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
something is just amateurish about the writing in this movie. i dont think its a stretch to say it's not mentioned among classic movies

"you a real "hot dog" ":mjlol:

now THAT scene is corny…but no offense I chalk that up to a sheltered white writer struggling to write “accurate” dialogue for a young black female character who’s supposed to be from the streets…especially that “you fly you cool” line…the delivery has cracked me up from the moment I first saw this movie and it still does…overall gruesome/cringeworthy scene in more ways than one

*edit*

they cut out the line I specified in that clip but ya that whole scene felt unnecessary even tho I get it was meant to showcase what kind of monster dude was

Last edited:

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
now THAT scene is corny…but no offense I chalk that up to a sheltered white writer struggling to write “accurate” dialogue for a young black female character who’s supposed to be from the streets…especially that “you fly you cool” line…the delivery has cracked me up from the moment I first saw this movie and it still does…overall gruesome/cringeworthy scene in more ways than one

*edit*

they cut out the line I specified in that clip but ya that whole scene felt unnecessary even tho I get it was meant to showcase what kind of monster dude was

And also the swastika tat to give motive for who his victims were....and maybe why Trejo is who he went at out of Neils crew.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
...and maybe why Trejo is who he went at out of Neils crew.

I’ll have to watch parts of it again but offhand I remember there being a more specific reason for him targeting trejo that motel scene wasn’t required to “unpack”

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
there's nothing classic about that scene, besides people gassing it up because ":krs: it's finally deniro and pacino". that scene is overrated as fukk:mjlol:

"don't take scores :unimpressed:
i take scores. you try to stop me :unimpressed:"

it's easily a not worth mentioning scene out of both their careers:mjlol:both actors have countless better scenes
You said nobody talks about this movie as a classic and then when we pointed out the scenes that are heralded as classic you're saying they don't count because YOU don't like them.

Be fr :mjlol:

Some of yall gotta stop trying to frame your personal opinions as the authority. You ain't speaking for nobody but yourself

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
something is just amateurish about the writing in this movie. i dont think its a stretch to say it's not mentioned among classic movies

Honestly if you think about it, nearly all the women dialogue in the film is bad lol. Just oddly stands out. I'm not one of those "men can't write women" people either, the shyt is just super clunky and doesn't sound natural. It doesn't help that the worst acting in the film largely comes from the women too. The chick who plays Pacino's wife is terrible. Seems like they couldn't get Demi Moore and settled on a random chick who kinda looks like her.

That being said it's still a great film and classic. The ultimate guy's movie, for better and for worse.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Hard for me to be objective, as it's my favorite movie, but

Judd has some great lines, and acting, (the hand scene is one of the movies iconic scenes) as does Diana Verona, even if it's overwritten at times, her scenes are excellent. Amy Brenneman, the scene where she meets De Niro, she is very good, even subtle things like her expression when De Niro slides next to her,

and I don't like the Waingro scene with the child prostitute either, but one, she's a teenager trying to convince a dangerous person, that he's cool. which really means powerful and sexually exciting. That's part of her role. That's what role prostittutes play. And two, it's supposed to be deeply uncomfortable, because we have already seen Waingo be needlessly violent, and here he is with a young girl in a motel room. So you see it coming.

Last edited:

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
I really like it, but I do agree with a lot of the complaints. The last robbery scene that spills onto the streets is one of my favorite movie scenes. I like that they tried to show the perspective of women in relationships with these men, but a lot of it was unnecessary. Al Pacino and his wife didn’t seem realistic at all.

Waingro could have been flushed out better. They allude to him being a serial killer, but he also has to be pretty connected to be on a job with Neil’s crew. So you would think he would have some discipline but he’s shown to be an all around wild card. I didn’t mind that Neil went back for him because he ruined their robbery and had everybody on the run. I always laugh when he leaves Edie standing there and she’s like wtf. :why:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Don't want to be the kid with his textbook open trying to be head of class, but let me just indulge here

the relationships with the women, and moreso between PEOPLE is what what makes the entire movie. Now, would any of the female characters pass the Beshdel test? Probably not, but they all had their own agendas, own agency, and fleshed out parts.

Between Edie and De Niro, Val Kilmer and Ashely Judd, Pacino and his wife, Dennis Haysbert and his girlfriend, that's what makes them human, that's what makes it so good.

We see the pain of essentially relapse into crime, and Haysbert's struggle with vulnerability and oppression, anger, bitterness through the relationship with his girlfriend, that's what makes that scene crack with intensity when De Niro pitches him "one answer right now, yes or no". "yeah...yeah, fukk yeah, you're on"

(on a related note, we never see De Niro happier than he is with Haysbert breaking into a smile, but he also pitches Edie the same way he pitches Haysbert)

We see Pacino's dedication/obsession with the job, through his inability to maintain a domestic relationship, drawing him into De Niro's character who is attempting to make the same sacrifice Pacino has already tried (three times)

We see De Niro's vulnerability through his relationship with Edie, we see his character's primary goals and conflict through her character

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
Don't want to be the kid with his textbook open trying to be head of class, but let me just indulge here

the relationships with the women, and moreso between PEOPLE is what what makes the entire movie. Now, would any of the female characters pass the Beshdel test? Probably not, but they all had their own agendas, own agency, and fleshed out parts.

Between Edie and De Niro, Val Kilmer and Ashely Judd, Pacino and his wife, Dennis Haysbert and his girlfriend, that's what makes them human, that's what makes it so good.

We see the pain of essentially relapse into crime, and Haysbert's struggle with vulnerability and oppression, anger, bitterness through the relationship with his girlfriend, that's what makes that scene crack with intensity when De Niro pitches him "one answer right now, yes or no". "yeah...yeah, fukk yeah, you're on"

(on a related note, we never see De Niro happier than he is with Haysbert breaking into a smile, but he also pitches Edie the same way he pitches Haysbert)

We see Pacino's dedication/obsession with the job, through his inability to maintain a domestic relationship, drawing him into De Niro's character who is attempting to make the same sacrifice Pacino has already tried (three times)

We see De Niro's vulnerability through his relationship with Edie, we see his character's primary goals and conflict through her character
I understand this was the purpose but the execution is just ok. I think the best was Val Kilmer/Ashley Judd and Dennis Haysbert and his wife/girlfriend. Pacino and his wife seemed completely incompatible. Neil/Edie could have been done better imo. I couldn’t tell if he was really interested in her or just lonely at the time. She knew nothing about him but did say she was lonely I guess. I think they needed another scene to show some type of relationship growth. She seemed more like a plot device than a person.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I understand this was the purpose but the execution is just ok. I think the best was Val Kilmer/Ashley Judd and Dennis Haysbert and his wife/girlfriend. Pacino and his wife seemed completely incompatible. Neil/Edie could have been done better imo. I couldn’t tell if he was really interested in her or just lonely at the time. She knew nothing about him but did say she was lonely I guess. I think they needed another scene to show some type of relationship growth. She seemed more like a plot device than a person.

Part of their characters were that they were and could be incredibly charming and vulnerable down to earth, Pacino's Vicennt Hanna is going to attract more women than he can engage with. Talking crazy, super confident, funny. When De Niro dropped his guard, he was easy to talk to, easy to be comfortable with. You can see the whole trajectory of Hanna and Diane's relationship in a few lines

I told you when we hooked up baby, you were going to have to share me, with all the bad guys and fukked up things

and I bought into that because I love you, but this isn't sharing

also, the sex scene in the beginning, is really intimate and meant to who they had some real bond, (Miami Vice and Ali also feature sex scenes like that) she also really understands him on some level, which is shown when she says go at the end.

just fleshing out my own opinions and thoughts here

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Heat is a classic bro. They got Christopher Nolan hosting a q&a on the bluray. Uncivilized opinion.