HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
I don't think you realize this, but most people aren't built to be an entrepreneur

True.

But, why even have HBCUs if the sole purpose is to produce workers for cac companies?

Why even put our kids into that debt trap?

Not every HBCU grad will be an entrepreneur. But, one of the missions of these schools should be to produce Black entrepreneurs. Or at least provide the environment that will produce them.

Otherwise, Black people would be better served sending our kids to cheaper, public schools, community colleges or trade schools.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
What is the income disparity between graduates of PWIs vs HBCUs? That may be a big reason.

It may very well be a part of the reason why HBCU grads don't give.

But, like I said earlier, average donation is in the $25-100 range for most alums across the nation.

HBCU grads are so broke that they cannot give back $25? :comeon:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
Not really my thing right now, but I will definitely give back in my 50's and 60's.

I guess I could give a little here and there but never thought to do so.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I notice Clark Atlanta University wasn't on the list:patrice:

All I can say it's a that it's a complex issue...I had an issue with the cost of college in general coming out of HS so initially I went to a public school bc it was cheap. So naturally all the private HBCU's weren't even an option bc I wasn't going to pay 40k a year.

I will say CAU is building though. Until last week the school didn't have a gym (even though we pay a fee for one) and they built a new ice cream shop last week.

Not too uncommon but the dorms are kinda suspect. And the damn AC went out during midterms. Literally had Nikkas sweating trying to take tests and shii.

I had a prof graduate like 20 years ago from Morehouse talking about he's still paying off his loans:picard:its fcked up bc you gotta ask yourself is being a "Morehouse Man" worth crippling yourself financially:wow:

I don't have the answers mane but damn:mjcry:

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
It may very well be a part of the reason why HBCU grads don't give.

But, like I said earlier, average donation is in the $25-100 range for most alums across the nation.

HBCU grads are so broke that they cannot give back $25? :comeon:
I mean...

Black people typically earn less money, have higher unemployment (and underemployment) rates, have worse credit, have worse generational wealth, etc. The list can go on...Not to mention trying to navigate an employment landscape that has managers and people in HR that may very well discriminate against graduates from HBCUs.

So yes, $25-100 can go towards something else when you don't have as much expendable income.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The schools in that chart have high job placement rates for a few amount of positions at some of the highest paying companies in the world.

New Username

Staff Member
Supporter
Daps
Closest thing to HBCUs for cacs are those little liberal arts schools in the northeast.

top-10-alumni-giving-p74-bl.jpg

They are supporting their shyt. We've got to do better as Black people.

You donated ?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I give GT a dub and 5 every year. I know I've gotten looks at employers strictly off the name on my degree, so I'm like what's 25 bucks :yeshrug:

Both of my wife's parents went to Claflin University in SC (an HBCU), their shyt is in pretty damn good shape as the alumni give back pretty good at Claflin. But across the street at SC State, it's :francis:

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I notice Clark Atlanta University wasn't on the list:patrice:

All I can say it's a that it's a complex issue...I had an issue with the cost of college in general coming out of HS so initially I went to a public school bc it was cheap. So naturally all the private HBCU's weren't even an option bc I wasn't going to pay 40k a year.

I will say CAU is building though. Until last week the school didn't have a gym (even though we pay a fee for one) and they built a new ice cream shop last week.

Not too uncommon but the dorms are kinda suspect. And the damn AC went out during midterms. Literally had Nikkas sweating trying to take tests and shii.

I had a prof graduate like 20 years ago from Morehouse talking about he's still paying off his loans:picard:its fcked up bc you gotta ask yourself is being a "Morehouse Man" worth crippling yourself financially:wow:

I don't have the answers mane but damn:mjcry:

Clark was on of the schools with the N/A, which basically means the alumni giving rate is so low that they're ashamed to report it.

As Georgia State continues to grow in profile and stature, the AUC schools will have to really sell their value proposition to Black students in the area.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I give GT a dub and 5 every year. I know I've gotten looks at employers strictly off the name on my degree, so I'm like what's 25 bucks :yeshrug:

Both of my wife's parents went to Claflin University in SC (an HBCU), their shyt is in pretty damn good shape as the alumni give back pretty good at Claflin. But across the street at SC State, it's :francis:

That's fantastic.

nikkas in here really actin' like $25 is tough to come up with! Most HBCU grads spend more than that on alcohol on a given night of fun.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
that's because majority of the alumni are not eating well off those degrees
hilarious considering the opposite is true

:wow:

you fakkit ass c00ns love trying to shyt on HBCUs once a week

nikka literally made a thread to tate what?

how happy he is to give them crackas money for his education

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
I ain't giving shyt back to my university. fukk that, they ain't pay for a damn thing. I got grants and loans to help me.