HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When you have tens of thousands of graduates entering the alumni pool every year for big schools, alumni giving rates aren't a huge concern.

Harvard, Virginia, Cornell, etc. can live with a less than 20% giving rate. HBCUs aren't churning out thousands of graduates and don't have D1 sports and research, patent, etc. revenue.

In short, HBCUs need to encourage their alums to contribute more.
I work in the alumni officer at my school, and we have a massive and consistent contribution campaign that runs all-day everyday.
We probably have a 10% or less rate, especially with the newer class of alumni.
MIT, Cornell, and University of Virginia students may be more prone to giving because they got larger scholarships, were placed into careers immediately after graduating, and the average alum is likely far-higher paid than your average Central State or Florida A&M.

Last edited:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Closest thing to HBCUs for cacs are those little liberal arts schools in the northeast.

top-10-alumni-giving-p74-bl.jpg

They are supporting their shyt. We've got to do better as Black people.
This is another example, I'm sure Yale is up there pretty high too.
The kids that go to schools like these err on the wealthy side, and don't have to worry about financial issues after graduation, so when the school calls asking about donations, they're ready to pull out their wallets.

alpo

Dade County carol city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carol city
Breh, I talk about this all the time, and I came out of a HBCU (Southern University) it's the ppl in those position that has been paid off by the white man, those that are in positions have gotten it on some "hook-up" shyt and they are not trying to step on anyone toes to get stuff done.

Mind-set
There's corruption dayum near at every school, more so at these PWI believe or not, it's just that they are making money by the millions so those scandals don't really hurt their pockets like how it will do a HBCU.

We have scandals and still dayum near our whole budget or trick off a department's budget and now we cutting from other places..when we already are barely making it above water.

The mind-set has to be about the black youth and the education we bring to the table.

Again I tell you, not all, but more of your ppl in position are just there...they old, have old ways, and have no vision, new ideas.

Every HBCU needs to be gutted and like you stated there needs to be a meeting and calling out from ppl like you and I about the status of our HBCUs.

Explain the whole process from baby-steps. from enrolling up until donating and planning.

they don't no vision, new ideas because THEY DONT CARE BOUT BUILDING WEALTH

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Has a lot to do with student loan debt...

Yeah i went to HBCU and acquired more debt than when i went to a PWI. I would attribute that to the School grants at the PWI Funded by the alumni.

the jobs i got outta of college were because the people that hired me or interviewed me, were alumni or related to an Alumni from my PWI.

:mjpls:

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Clark was on of the schools with the N/A, which basically means the alumni giving rate is so low that they're ashamed to report it.

As Georgia State continues to grow in profile and stature, the AUC schools will have to really sell their value proposition to Black students in the area.
Yea it's a good alternative for ga residents. There's 10,000 undergrad blacks at State

Otherwise, if you can't get in state tuition, and willing to put up the $$ you mine as well go anywhere you want

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Closest thing to HBCUs for cacs are those little liberal arts schools in the northeast.

top-10-alumni-giving-p74-bl.jpg

They are supporting their shyt. We've got to do better as Black people.

The majority of liberal arts attendees are rich kids not smart enough to go higher. A small percentage are poor.

If everyone or the majority that came from a HBCU made 6 figures, I'm sure that they could donate more :manny:

If the white wife age (27-33) who graduated from Texas is making 200,000 and the husband age that graduated from RICE (27-33) is making 450,000 a year

If the black wife age (27-33) who graduated from Dillard is making 53,000 and the husband age (27-33) came outta TXSU is making 71,000 a year..

Who is able to donate more to their school? :jbhmm:

This is just one family...do this example times all the alums from HBCUs and PWI and you'll start to see why is this the case

Your example is like maybe 1-5 couple aged 27-33 white making that from Texas.

Elite hbcu Nikkas make cash, silently but definitely do. 1-10 men and women from the top 5 hbcus are on track of ur Texas couple example. The problem is 80% of them(hbcu) were rich anyway :francis:

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What is the income disparity between graduates of PWIs vs HBCUs? That may be a big reason.

Not as significant as u think. As many underperforming hbcus there's ten pwis with the same designation. How many east west nw (insert state) random Christian colleges are there. Ppl compare hbcus to the random flagship state college but it's not responsible to do that.

I give GT a dub and 5 every year. I know I've gotten looks at employers strictly off the name on my degree, so I'm like what's 25 bucks :yeshrug:

Both of my wife's parents went to Claflin University in SC (an HBCU), their shyt is in pretty damn good shape as the alumni give back pretty good at Claflin. But across the street at SC State, it's :francis:

Gt black ppl shyt on hbcu spelman and morehouse ppl. Objectively they win everyday it's an open secrect in Atlanta

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I want to ask something. How much money does the black church give to HBCU's ? I'm talking about church affiliated HBCU's ( Morehouse,Benedict, l Xavier).

Im bringing this up Because SJU gets 10 million a year from the Vincentian church which is used for scholarships and other expenses. Since the black church gets money out the ass, how much are they giving?

Last edited:

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've never heard of this.

Are you talking about in terms of talent? If so, then yes.

Are you saying Georgia Tech Black students look down on AUC Black students? If so, that's not true.

Talent yes. Not looking down on. To be honest I've seen more hbcu Nikkas look Down on pwi when stastically pwi black ppl outperform hbcu Nikkas 50 to 1, and that's a fact. :yeshrug:

Anyway to the point u were referring to gt out of college and into graduate place better and get paid better.

In this last grad year of 2016
As a person in finance and gt placed better in real revenue producing Wall Street jobs. 8 gt Nikkas got 6 figs out of undergrad jobs. 3 morehouse &a spelman kids did.

In the tech space 25 gt black kids got 90K jobs out of undergrad regardless of city. 12 morehouse and spelman kids did, with the majority of those bn spelman women. And the majority of the gt blacks bn men. :francis:

Surprisingly the best hbcu to go to is actually Florida a&m, if u wanna make money.

I give most my free time validating these facts so if u want to do disagree, ill gladly show u ur wrong :manny:

And the hbcus don't pay me to do it either :jbhmm:

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King
Yeah i went to HBCU and acquired more debt than when i went to a PWI. I would attribute that to the School grants at the PWI Funded by the alumni.

the jobs i got outta of college were because the people that hired me or interviewed me, were alumni or related to an Alumni from my PWI.

:mjpls:
Could be a lot of people's experience. But outside of the top 10, even the PWI's are having difficulty getting alumni to give back.

Student Loan Debt is financially burdensome. Very few who are extremely encumbered with the costs of college education today will have the ability to give back tomorrow.

Hence the decline in alumni giving, marriages, childbirth, home buying, adults moving out of childhood homes, etc.

Nothing operates in a vacuum.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
I want to ask something. How much money does the black church give to HBCU's ? I'm talking about church affiliated HBCU's ( Morehouse,Benedict, l Xavier).

Im bringing this up Because SJU gets 10 million a year from the Vincentian church which is used for scholarships and other expenses. Since the black church gets money out the ass, how much are they giving?

:patrice:

That's a great question.

Black churches are hauling in money and doing nothing as HBCUs teeter on the brink of financial collapse.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Talent yes. Not looking down on. To be honest I've seen more hbcu Nikkas look Down on pwi when stastically pwi black ppl outperform hbcu Nikkas 50 to 1, and that's a fact. :yeshrug:

Anyway to the point u were referring to gt out of college and into graduate place better and get paid better.

As a person in finance and gt placed better in real revenue producing Wall Street jobs. 8 gt Nikkas got 6 figs out of undergrad jobs. 3 morehouse &a spelman kids did.

In the tech space 25 gt black kids got 90K jobs out of undergrad regardless of city. 12 morehouse and spelman kids did, with the majority of those bn spelman women. And the majority of the gt blacks bn men. :francis:

Surprisingly the best hbcu to go to is actually Florida a&m, if u wanna make money.

I give most my free time validating these facts so if u want to do disagree, ill gladly show u ur wrong :manny:

I believe you.

Most HBCU students aren't going to be on the same level with a Black student who can make it into, excel and graduate from Georgia Tech, MIT, Cal Tech, etc.

The academic rigor at those schools make HBCUs look like elementary schools.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana

I love how In all threads like this nikka instantly want to compare HBCUs to Harvard and shyt. Dumb ass nikka Georgia tech is one of the top ranking colleges in the country, How are HBCU graduates doing compared to graduates from Georgia State, Georgia Southern, University of West Georgia ,etc