HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Most aren't even giving $100.

And I'm excluding the purchase of homecoming sports tickets, shirts, etc.

I'm talking about the ticketed events (parties, etc.) from which the proceeds aren't donated back to the school. Party promoters are eating very well off those events. None of that money is going back to the school's war chest.

What about the tickets these ppl go to, Ppl like to party (no harm) I'm with you on the $100 mark, they should be able to do something as far as sending $100 or maybe more, but majority of your HBCU alums are not donating in the tens and thousands compared to the whites that are donating.

Greek parties send money back to the school, some goes towards their organizations and some go to the school dues.

As far as a regular party that just happens to be promoted around H.C. or a certain school event that's happening, what's wrong wit that breh?

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
As far as a regular party that just happens to be promoted around H.C. or a certain school event that's happening, what's wrong wit that breh?

Nothing wrong with it at all. Just makes our priorities look awful. Spending hundreds of dollars to get ready to stunt at some party and then complaining that you do not have $100 to give back to the school?

The school is the very basis for the party in the first place!

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
What about the tickets these ppl go to, Ppl like to party (no harm) I'm with you on the $100 mark, they should be able to do something as far as sending $100 or maybe more, but majority of your HBCU alums are not donating in the tens and thousands compared to the whites that are donating.

Most whites are not donating tens of thousands of dollars.

Donations range from $25-100 for most alums. That's not a lot to ask when we spend money on dumb shyt all the time.

Most nikkas are dropping more than $100 on alcohol over the course of a Thursday-Sunday stretch most weeks throughout the year.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
First question is: why are we sending our kids to HBCUs when it is purely cost prohibitive in the first place?

Public schools are much cheaper options.

Is it because we want to support Black institutions? If that's the case, why aren't we--Black America--donating to those institutions such that the schools can provide more scholarships?

Let's address the "why" question vis-a-vis HBCUs in the 21st century first.

What's the purpose of HBCUs in the 21st century?

We have no problem handing over millions of dollars, collectively, to Black megachurches on Sundays. Yet, we don't donate to our HBCUs. That's backward.

The question becomes, why we are not sending our kids to HBCUs

I have no argument with the handing over millions of dollars to the church....I think we should donate back to the HBCUs, but the mind-set there has to change. Those who are in charge have a white man's hand in their back. We have to 1st remove that hand and get minds in there that is going to push the HBCUs back to top excellence. That's the 1st thing that has to be done, remove the minds that have become complacent in their positions.

The purpose will need re-created per say and again that comes with removing those who are in offices who don't have good intentions to elevate that HBCU.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The question becomes, why we are not sending our kids to HBCUs

I have no argument with the handing over millions of dollars to the church....I think we should donate back to the HBCUs, but the mind-set there has to change. Those who are in charge have a white man's hand in their back. We have to 1st remove that hand and get minds in there that is going to push the HBCUs back to top excellence. That's the 1st thing that has to be done, remove the minds that have become complacent in their positions.

The purpose will need re-created per say and again that comes with removing those who are in offices who don't have good intentions to elevate that HBCU.

I can agree with this.

I think we need to have a national discussion among Black thought leaders regarding the future of HBCUs. We really need to examine their role in the Black community in the 21st century.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Nothing wrong with it at all. Just makes our priorities look awful. Spending hundreds of dollars to get ready to stunt at some party and then complaining that you do not have $100 to give back to the school?

The school is the very basis for the party in the first place!

Mindset

You have to change to mindset..also it goes both ways, that HBCU that cries for donations have to show the donors what they are doing with their donations...new football field, new weight room, new chemical building, better instruments etc, you have to show what you are doing with the money.
We have a tendacy of asking for donations but we have no plan laid out to show what we will do once we get 1 million dollars worth of donations.
Build around the school, put up movie theaters, bowling alleys, good black own restaurants, sprinkle in some white ones too AROUND THE CAMPUS OR ON THE CAMPUS. Improve the amenities of the campus.

Show me where each red cent is going..HBCUs are not transparent as PWI.. At LSU, each year a new building is built, a new chain-restaurant is brought in for the students, new technology for the students to use is implemented each year or each semester. The dollars that they get from their donors, they are putting it back into the university.
HBCUs need a master plan so that can present to the alums so that they can "wanna" donate.

If I came to you and said man, I need 100-1,000 dollars....You will ask me for what? and I'ma say, man we boys, just give it to me..we been boys for 10 years..You may wanna give it to me off the strength of that but for the most part, you prolly will tell me man Hell no, I aint giving you my hard earned 100-1,000 dollars.

Now if I came to you and said man I need 100-1,000 dollars, I got this building that I want to build and buy these instruments, this will attract more students and will increase enrollment and improve our curriculum here and allow it to be able to compete with other curriculums of the same at other HBCU and PWI
Then I got your attention..I may get a "Tell me more" or "Man that sounds good"

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
I can agree with this.

I think we need to have a national discussion among Black thought leaders regarding the future of HBCUs. We really need to examine their role in the Black community in the 21st century.

Breh, I talk about this all the time, and I came out of a HBCU (Southern University) it's the ppl in those position that has been paid off by the white man, those that are in positions have gotten it on some "hook-up" shyt and they are not trying to step on anyone toes to get stuff done.

Mind-set
There's corruption dayum near at every school, more so at these PWI believe or not, it's just that they are making money by the millions so those scandals don't really hurt their pockets like how it will do a HBCU.

We have scandals and still dayum near our whole budget or trick off a department's budget and now we cutting from other places..when we already are barely making it above water.

The mind-set has to be about the black youth and the education we bring to the table.

Again I tell you, not all, but more of your ppl in position are just there...they old, have old ways, and have no vision, new ideas.

Every HBCU needs to be gutted and like you stated there needs to be a meeting and calling out from ppl like you and I about the status of our HBCUs.

Explain the whole process from baby-steps. from enrolling up until donating and planning.

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
I was flipping through one of those US News College guides, recently. There was a section on HBCUs. The alumni giving rates are atrocious at HBCUs. :scust:

Spelman College (39%) :ehh:

Howard University (8%) :mindblown:

Hampton University (15%) :jbhmm:

Morehouse College (13%) :dahell:

Tuskegee University (18%) :childplease:

FAMU (5%) :huhldup:

North Carolina A&T (8%) :snoop:

Bethune Cookman (9%) :dame:

Morgan State (11%) :gucci:

Most of the other schools were listed as (N/A), which suggests giving rates were so low, the schools didn't even want to self report. :francis:

In another thread, nikkas wanted to know what happened to Morris Brown.

Look at what the "elite" HBCUs are facing in terms of funding.

@CashmereEsquire @NeilCartwright
why are black grads compared to white grads?
are all grads treated equally?
what does GNC say the % of giving should be?
we believe grads should give back. Especially the wealthy ones and mid to upper manager ones!

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
We can always create our own jobs.

Or, are we sending our kids to HBCUs with the end goal of securing a "good" job from a cac?

What's the purpose of HBCUs in the 21st century? Fill our kids with pride only to have them begging for jobs from non-Blacks?

They should be churning out Black entrepreneurs left and right.

But, in reality, it's just a training ground to send more Blacks to work for cacs.

I don't think you realize this, but most people aren't built to be an entrepreneur

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
As an HBCU Graduate, I see the issue in 2 parts:

1. Alum refuse to give back due to how the university treated them when they were active students (see quotes below for example)

Hey paid out of state all 4 years to go to NCCU. All that alumni give back shyt is dead to me. I paid more than my fair share just to attend. No scholarships, was kicked out the sophomore dorms for one piss warm Tequiza beer, meal plan always fukked up, countless times at the gotdamn Huey building to work out some registration issues that was the school fault. Academic adviser made me take a class I already took even after twice I told him I think I already took this class.

Imagine paying for court-side tickets and sitting in the nosebleeds.

If I chose to give back it's purely my decision and anybody affiliated with my school that says otherwise can kiss my ass

My Brother went to Morris Brown around 2000-2002 straight up disaster. Seemed like they were going up to the school every month for financial aid problems . The dorms were in poor condition too. The elevator ceiling wasn't fully done and we saw about two roaches in one quick walk through. Brother said the food was good though and the professors were great. He also enjoyed the marching band. :yeshrug:

2. Alum refuse to give back cause the universities cant answer one simple question asked by potential donors: "Where is the money going?"

@NO-BadAzz explained it in depth above. The universities arent transparent with where the donations will go and with most alum having to decide between paying off those student loans and giving back to a school that cant even be transparent with how that donation the alum give will be reinvested in the school, most will pay Sallie Mae/Navient and say fukk donating and potentially end up lining the University President's pockets instead of seeing that reinvested into the university

Daps
As an HBCU Graduate, I see the issue in 2 parts:

1. Alum refuse to give back due to how the university treated them when they were active students (see quotes below for example)

2. Alum refuse to give back cause the universities cant answer one simple question asked by potential donors: "Where is the money going?"

@NO-BadAzz explained it in depth above. The universities arent transparent with where the donations will go and with most alum having to decide between paying off those student loans and giving back to a school that cant even be transparent with how that donation the alum give will be reinvested in the school, most will pay Sallie Mae/Navient and say fukk donating and potentially end up lining the University President's pockets instead of seeing that reinvested into the university
Number 1 is legit, but number 2 is bullshyt. Most of these schools have specific causes you can give to
Morehouse: Giving | Make a Gift | Make a Gift Online - Morehouse College
Howard: https://securelb.imodules.com/s/172...724&gid=2&pgid=514&cid=1268&fid=1268&gfid=302
Hampton: Hamptonians for Hampton

etc.

Only folks who have no intent giving in the first place hide behind the "where's my money" going nonsense.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Number 1 is legit, but number 2 is bullshyt. Most of these schools have specific causes you can give to
Morehouse: Giving | Make a Gift | Make a Gift Online - Morehouse College
Howard: https://securelb.imodules.com/s/172...724&gid=2&pgid=514&cid=1268&fid=1268&gfid=302
Hampton: Hamptonians for Hampton

etc.

Only folks who have no intent giving in the first place hide behind the "where's my money" going nonsense.

Black people want full transparency from HBCUs, but make no demands in terms of transparency from these churches they are donating to.