HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was flipping through one of those US News College guides, recently. There was a section on HBCUs. The alumni giving rates are atrocious at HBCUs. :scust:

Spelman College (39%) :ehh:

Howard University (8%) :mindblown:

Hampton University (15%) :jbhmm:

Morehouse College (13%) :dahell:

Tuskegee University (18%) :childplease:

FAMU (5%) :huhldup:

North Carolina A&T (8%) :snoop:

Bethune Cookman (9%) :dame:

Morgan State (11%) :gucci:

Most of the other schools were listed as (N/A), which suggests giving rates were so low, the schools didn't even want to self report. :francis:

In another thread, nikkas wanted to know what happened to Morris Brown.

Look at what the "elite" HBCUs are facing in terms of funding.

@CashmereEsquire @NeilCartwright
Hampton don't deserve the 15% they get. :pacspit:

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
Obama did nothing for hbcu
Some HBCUs haven't exactly helped their own cause. The level of financial mismanagement at some has been woeful. That said, Obama wasn't exactly a champion of the cause. I think he was more partial to his Harvard law brethren.
Important thread by the way. We may lose a few under Trump.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Alumni donation size also matters.
If only 2% of your alumni donate, but each of the donations is $1M, then its an entirely different game.
Don't forget a lot of universities have what are called "beaches," which is when a (Libertarian) organization gives large grants (in the millions) to a school to fund educational propaganda (like a conservative department or think tank). I don't know of many HBCUs that were handed this.
Howard's endowment is the largest of any HBCU, from what I've noted, and they're majority BW (as are most).

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
If only 2% of your alumni donate, but each of the donations is $1M, then its an entirely different game.
Don't forget a lot of universities have what are called "beaches," which is when a (Libertarian) organization gives large grants (in the millions) to a school to fund educational propaganda (like a conservative department or think tank). I don't know of many HBCUs that were handed this.
Howard's endowment is the largest of any HBCU, from what I've noted, and they're majority BW (as are most).

Just think about the size of some of the donations being given to Stanford, Harvard, Penn, etc.

Cacs writing checks larger than a few HBCU endowments combined. shyt isn't fair, breh.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

The Koch brothers have been funding HBCUs as well.

Also as I said before there are not enough non alumni donors.

These PWI have donors who never have even attended the school.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
that's because majority of the alumni are not eating well off those degrees

Not true...

Alot of these alumni LIVE ABOVE THIER MEANS...

the debt to income ratio on alot of my HBCU friends and coworkers is horrendous

I just smashed a HBCU graduate this afternoon and she was bragging about the flat screens TVs she just installed in three of her BATHROOMS in her six bedroom house.....

Her sister is a graduate as well working on her Masters and is dating my coworker just the other day she asked him to loan her 800 dollars so she can put some new tires on her Benz truck

Just because they EDUCATED and on Thier GROWN FOLK SHYT doesn't mean they make good decisions

Especially considering they love to participate in 'black folks favourite pastime" as @Matt504 defined so well

Styling and Stunting :umad:

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Not true...

Alot of these alumni LIVE ABOVE THIER MEANS...

the debt to income ratio on alot of my HBCU friends and coworkers is horrendous

I just smashed a HBCU graduate this afternoon and she was bragging about the flat screens TVs she just installed in three of her BATHROOMS in her six bedroom house.....

Her sister is a graduate as well working on her Masters and is dating my coworker just the other day she asked him to loan her 800 dollars so she can put some new tires on her Benz truck

Just because they EDUCATED and on Thier GROWN FOLK SHYT doesn't mean they make good decisions

Especially considering they love to participate in 'black folks favourite pastime" as @Matt504 defined so well

Styling and Stunting :umad:

:dahell: does she need with a six bedroom house? :snoop:

Does she have kids?

Financial irresponsibility wipes most of these new nikkas out.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
what does she need with 6 bedrooms?

She needs everyone in her social circle to know how well she's doing, even though she's probably living relatively rough.

Hell yeah....she is definitely living check to check... It's all an image

She ain't giving shyT back to her HBCU

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
The other aspect is who is managing the endowment. Harvard, Stanford et al have Wall Street managers and quants investing for them while HBCUs generally don't have Tunde managers with similar access and tools

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Rep and dap.
:wow:

How can I say this..............

:lupe:...........

Going to a college is a long term........life long relationship, especially if you graduate and you care about the continued longevity and quality of that school.

Now if you just want your education, degree, some friends, and memories...then an endowment is not your concern and could give a fuuuck

When high school kids apply for colleges the last thing ......the very last thing they are thinking about is a life time of giving back to that school...HELL NAH....they just trying to make sure they can get a scholarship if lucky or be able to get a loan......

Then you graduate and now you have a loan that may take 20 - 25 years to pay off, depending on your income and/or how quickly you decide to pay it off......

So what is happening is people paying back college loans feel they are double paying if they are simultaneously paying back loans and putting money in the endowment. It is one of those psychological things. I would love to see a study on it. Of course the loan repayment is not going to the school, but back to whatever loan financier you used.......and so partially endowments suffer because graduates think/fool themselves into thinking loan and endowment is double paying the same school, when they are absolutely mutually exclusive....the gift and the curse for universities.

Last edited:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Hell yeah....she is definitely living check to check... It's all an image

She ain't giving shyT back to her HBCU

People think I'm trying to shame Black people or shyt on Black people when I say that Black people's favorite pastime is showing off for other Black people.

In my honest opinion, this is unfortunately what I have been led to conclude, I see the behaviors all the time and have to always audit myself because I'm just as guilty.

:francis: