HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Hey paid out of state all 4 years to go to NCCU. All that alumni give back shyt is dead to me. I paid more than my fair share just to attend. No scholarships, was kicked out the sophomore dorms for one piss warm Tequiza beer, meal plan always fukked up, countless times at the gotdamn Huey building to work out some registration issues that was the school fault. Academic adviser made me take a class I already took even after twice I told him I think I already took this class.

Imagine paying for court-side tickets and sitting in the nosebleeds.

If I chose to give back it's purely my decision and anybody affiliated with my school that says otherwise can kiss my ass

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
My Brother went to Morris Brown around 2000-2002 straight up disaster. Seemed like they were going up to the school every month for financial aid problems . The dorms were in poor condition too. The elevator ceiling wasn't fully done and we saw about two roaches in one quick walk through. Brother said the food was good though and the professors were great. He also enjoyed the marching band. :yeshrug:

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Closest thing to HBCUs for cacs are those little liberal arts schools in the northeast.

top-10-alumni-giving-p74-bl.jpg

They are supporting their shyt. We've got to do better as Black people.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
When you have tens of thousands of graduates entering the alumni pool every year for big schools, alumni giving rates aren't a huge concern.

Harvard, Virginia, Cornell, etc. can live with a less than 20% giving rate. HBCUs aren't churning out thousands of graduates and don't have D1 sports and research, patent, etc. revenue.

In short, HBCUs need to encourage their alums to contribute more.

I agree...I wasn't trying to undermine you at all :whoa: just giving context...

I do think, though, that in general alumni giving numbers are lower than they were 20 years ago. There is definitely less connection to an alma mater than in the past...HBCUs suffer because they aren't going to pull in the same types of incomes as other schools (through sports etc.)

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Hey paid out of state all 4 years to go to NCCU. All that alumni give back shyt is dead to me. I paid more than my fair share just to attend. No scholarships, was kicked out the sophomore dorms for one piss warm Tequiza beer, meal plan always fukked up, countless times at the gotdamn Huey building to work out some registration issues that was the school fault. Academic adviser made me take a class I already took even after twice I told him I think I already took this class.

Imagine paying for court-side tickets and sitting in the nosebleeds.

If I chose to give back it's purely my decision and anybody affiliated with my school that says otherwise can kiss my ass

:patrice:

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
:ehh: Not surprised

But let's break down the whole scope of things.....Who are the top earning group of ppl in this country?? ask yourself this.

Then ask yourself those that are the top earners in this country, did they come outta a HBCU hub?

Then ask yourself those that came from a HBCU, are they making big bucks in their 30s, you know most in their 20s are not, (call center jobs for the most part)?

Then ask yourself those that came from a HBCU, are they trying to make it by and do they have enough funds to donate big/large amounts of money.

Are they getting the high paying jobs, I'm talking about those that came from HBCUs.

When you have more, you can donate more

Last edited:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I don't even know what to say about this. Howard university is a small school (6,900) but I'm sure their alumni can make a difference.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
If everyone or the majority that came from a HBCU made 6 figures, I'm sure that they could donate more :manny:

If the white wife age (27-33) who graduated from Texas is making 200,000 and the husband age that graduated from RICE (27-33) is making 450,000 a year

If the black wife age (27-33) who graduated from Dillard is making 53,000 and the husband age (27-33) came outta TXSU is making 71,000 a year..

Who is able to donate more to their school? :jbhmm:

This is just one family...do this example times all the alums from HBCUs and PWI and you'll start to see why is this the case

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Yes. A lot of big schools have a higher percentage and a larger total number.

Most HBCUs have small graduating classes each year, so the alumni base is smaller.

10% alumni giving at Morehouse, for example, is not the same as 10% alumni giving at Ohio State.

This is the key. The size of their alumni base matters more.

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King
To Compare with non HBCU's

alumni-giving-huge-schools-p76-tl.jpg

Also from a different article:

"Among the top 10 schools, an average of around 53 percent of former students donated. On the other end of the spectrum, 301 schools reported less than 5 percent of alumni donating on average during the same time period."

It looks like all college grads are steadily on that :mjpls: when it comes to giving back...I know I sure as hell haven't donated :mjlol:

Has a lot to do with student loan debt...

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
That would go a long way for them. nikkas are not giving back to Morehouse, but will turn up during homecoming.

If they only donated a fraction of the money they spend to stunt during homecoming, the school would be in good shape.
They pay for tickets to attend their functions, right?