HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
Closest thing to HBCUs for cacs are those little liberal arts schools in the northeast.

top-10-alumni-giving-p74-bl.jpg

They are supporting their shyt. We've got to do better as Black people.

No, the job market has to do better. I hate these type of statements, you think we can compete with those crackers with all those connections? fukk no, we do what we can. Wealthy cacs attend those schools, I don't care about what their rates are, it's not an even playing field. Don't down your people because cacs are doing it better, they have a headstart. fukk all that.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lets not also forget that many folks who don't even go to PWIs or attended for less than a year donate to those schools.

Second many folks at small colleges and HBCUs don't even know that donating is s way to get tax write offs. Many of the big colleges make sure to tell allumni to donate for tax write offs.

King Poetic

I’m Washed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
PEOPLE ALSO HAVE TO TAKE IN ACCOUNT THAT HOW MANY FORTUNE 100, 500 CEO'S OR TOP EXECUTIVES WENT TO HBCUs

it's real easy for schools like USC which is around the corner from me to eat well because the school has so many rich alumni like GEORGE LUCAS, CLINT EASTWOOD, JERRY BUSS AND A TON OF LOS ANGELES BIG LAWYERS AND MOVIE AND MUSIC EXECUTIVES who know what they going to get in return when they donate..

what is hbcu schools former rich alumnis going to get back in return from the schools....

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
No, the job market has to do better. I hate these type of statements, you think we can compete with those crackers with all those connections? fukk no, we do what we can. Wealthy cacs attend those schools, I don't care about what their rates are, it's not an even playing field. Don't down your people because cacs are doing it better, they have a headstart. fukk all that.

We can always create our own jobs.

Or, are we sending our kids to HBCUs with the end goal of securing a "good" job from a cac?

What's the purpose of HBCUs in the 21st century? Fill our kids with pride only to have them begging for jobs from non-Blacks?

They should be churning out Black entrepreneurs left and right.

But, in reality, it's just a training ground to send more Blacks to work for cacs.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Yes. Almost all the events are ticketed events.

Not to mention getting the wardrobe tight, getting the whip cleaned, the plane ticket to fly out, the hotel, etc.

I'll ask you, how much does all that tally up to be?

around 600-1,200 bucks and let's say they do this like 1 or maybe 2 times a year at this rate, so that's 2,400.

Not every black person is going to this extreme, keep in mind. Those who are flying out, and getting a hotel are the ones that slip threw the cracks

Now compare 2,400 to a white person who gives back 5,000-8,000 at the low rate a year

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I'll ask you, how much does all that tally up to be?

around 600-1,200 bucks and let's say they do this like 1 or maybe 2 times a year at this rate, so that's 2,400.

Not every black person is going to this extreme, keep in mind. Those who are flying out, and getting a hotel are the ones that slip threw the cracks

Now compare 2,400 to a white person who gives back 5,000-8,000 at the low rate a year

$2400 is a lot of money!

Even $100 donated back to the school is step in the right direction. Stop makin' excuses, breh. We can't expect cacs to inject money into HBCUs if we aren't even doing it ourselves.

Why should they see the value in saving our institutions when we don't even care enough to give back?

I plan to cut a check to one of the HBCUs before the end of the month.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I think its more than that. Once listening to Tariq and even Jason Black, talking about how black women are more likely to show up with their money, for causes.

Black women tend to go hard for what they believe in.

If, as Black men, we could begin building things for them to support, we'd be in good shape as a community.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
$2400 is a lot of money!

Even $100 donated back to the school is step in the right direction. Stop makin' excuses, breh. We can't expect cacs to inject money into HBCUs if we aren't even doing it ourselves.

Why should they see the value in saving our institutions when we don't even care enough to give back?

I am not looking for a handout, but you are not seeing how the tables are setup once a kid graduates from a HBCU compared to one that is coming out of a PWI.

2,400 is a lot of money but every black graduate may not be setup to give 2,400

100 is a good mark.

Ppl give back in other ways...

Buying tickets to a football/basketball games, buy a T-shirt of their alumni....supporting their Homecoming events/galas etc

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I am not looking for a handout, but you are not seeing how the tables are setup once a kid graduates from a HBCU compared to one that is coming out of a PWI.

2,400 is a lot of money but every black graduate may not be setup to give 2,400

100 is a good mark.

Ppl give back in other ways...

Buying tickets to a football/basketball games, buy a T-shirt of their alumni....supporting their Homecoming events/galas etc

Most aren't even giving $100.

And I'm excluding the purchase of homecoming sports tickets, shirts, etc.

I'm talking about the ticketed events (parties, etc.) from which the proceeds aren't donated back to the school. Party promoters are eating very well off those events. None of that money is going back to the school's war chest.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
We can always create our own jobs.

Or, are we sending our kids to HBCUs with the end goal of securing a "good" job from a cac?

What's the purpose of HBCUs in the 21st century? Fill our kids with pride only to have them begging for jobs from non-Blacks?

They should be churning out Black entrepreneurs left and right.

But, in reality, it's just a training ground to send more Blacks to work for cacs.

We can create jobs, but that takes capital...who is creating jobs with a 50,000 - 100,000 debt hanging over their heads.

Who is giving black ppl loans with that kind of debt, what financial institutions can black ppl go to and get a loan to start up a business.

What kind of jobs are you talking about creating? please be specific

Let's start there, instead of saying vague statements..let's be more specific and break down each step...

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Yes. Almost all the events are ticketed events.

Not to mention getting the wardrobe tight, getting the whip cleaned, the plane ticket to fly out, the hotel, etc.
I'm speaking of things that actually goes back to the school directly and indirectly.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
We can create jobs, but that takes capital...who is creating jobs with a 50,000 - 100,000 debt hanging over their heads.

Who is giving black ppl loans with that kind of debt, what financial institutions can black ppl go to and get a loan to start up a business.

What kind of jobs are you talking about creating? please be specific

Let's start there, instead of saying vague statements..let's be more specific and break down each step...

First question is: why are we sending our kids to HBCUs when it is purely cost prohibitive in the first place?

Public schools are much cheaper options.

Is it because we want to support Black institutions? If that's the case, why aren't we--Black America--donating to those institutions such that the schools can provide more scholarships?

Let's address the "why" question vis-a-vis HBCUs in the 21st century first.

What's the purpose of HBCUs in the 21st century?

We have no problem handing over millions of dollars, collectively, to Black megachurches on Sundays. Yet, we don't donate to our HBCUs. That's backward.