Has Sony surpassed Nintendo in 1st party IPs?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You're right.

But the secret in the sauce is that i don't like games that sacrifice player input for cinematic control.

And going by sales, more people agree with me than you.
I used to hate this argument lol.

Uncharted 2 and TLOU 2 are among some of the best controlling games I've ever played in the genre.

Spider-Man on PS5 looks amazing and plays like a dream.

Same with God of War or Horizon.

Last edited:

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
You're right.

But the secret in the sauce is that i don't like games that sacrifice player input for cinematic control.

And going by sales, more people agree with me than you.
Do you think that if nintendo had the same 3rd party support that playstation and xbox have , their games would sell as much ?

Easy to sell millions when you don't have to compete against games like GTA5 on your system.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Good games but you're fighting the impossible fight right now.

Nintendo doesn't care about story driven games largely.
They care about game play mechanics.

Hence Metroid Prime playing like a game from 20 years in the future, in 2003.
Hence Botw taking open worlds back to school.
Hence Splatoon breaking the team shooter in half and rebuilding it.

And they've made the most popular fighting game in the world for the past 20 years.

Nintendo isn't interested in remaking The Road or Indiana Jones but with quick time events.
They vastly outsell those games anyways so what's the point?

The amount of hyperbole in this.

Imma let you cook though Im not arguing with level of delusion. You do you lol

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
The amount of hyperbole in this.

Imma let you cook though Im not arguing with level of delusion. You do you lol

What's delusional about saying that Nintendo doesn't care about story driven games for the most part?
Or the fact that every generation they'll drop something that tells everyone else to catch up?(except the Wii-WiiU gens)
Or the fact that TLOU is basically The Road and Uncharted is an Indiana Jones pastiche?
This shyt isn't a secret.

I prefer innovative games, when I play.
Sony isn't the company for innovative mechanics.
They're largely iterative.
The truth is the truth my friend.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Do you think that if nintendo had the same 3rd party support that playstation and xbox have , their games would sell as much ?

Easy to sell millions when you don't have to compete against games like GTA5 on your system.

Yes.

When they did have 3rd party support, they still sold the most on their own hardware.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I used to hate this argument lol.

Uncharted 2 and TLOU 2 are among some of the best controlling games I've ever played in the genre.

Spider-Man on PS5 looks amazing and plays like a dream.

Same with God of War or Horizon.

Can't speak to Spiderman Ps5 but Horizon controlled terribly.
The camera angle was horrific and the mobility of Aloy was retarded.
I legit can't understand how people can play games with rampant invisible walls.
And the arbitrary "can go here but can't go there" traversal was stolen from a 1996 ps1 game, from the days before Mario 64 rescued us from rudimentary developers.
Pretty but shallow can be fit wholesale over Sony design philosophy.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Is this dude serious right now:russ:

Making new versions of mario 64 for 25 years. Super innovative:lolbron:

Pokemon has devolved over the years :lolbron:

Kirby same exact gameplay as when I was a shorty :lolbron:

Only thing innovative about nintendo is what shytty new controller they can shoehorn into their 7 years behind tech wise consoles:lolbron:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
71vXBXXHnoL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Nintendo doesn't care about story driven games largely.
They care about game play mechanics.

This is a very important point. Nintendo develops mechanics before they start the storyboard. Usually, development goes the other way. It's one of the ways they keep things engaging, release after release.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is a very important point. Nintendo develops mechanics before they start the storyboard. Usually, development goes the other way. It's one of the ways they keep things engaging, release after release.

Like paper mario origami or sticker star?

Xyrax

Superstar
Daps
Mario Kart 8 has sold something stupid like 35million copies....

Like.. Bro no. Nintendos first party is by far still the most potent. I may not be a personal fan; but my individual fandom doesn't matter. Not even Sonys most lauded games like Last of Us are reach 35million sold. Even stuff like Animal Crossing just crushes anything 1st party from Sony saleswise. Its not even close.

Stick to arguing opinions... At least you can win that argument. But don't include Sales. Nintendo first party sales shyt all over anyone elses. No one is close. The only franchises that play with those kinds of numbers is Call of Duty, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto and Minecraft. The rest is all a bunch of Nintendo shyt lol.

Whats crazy to me is they do those numbers on games without using graphics/physics as a selling point. Like, they dont even chase the bleeding edge of technology. They doing those numbers purely on the enjoyment only. No flair, no shock, no horsepower wars.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Mario Kart 8 has sold something stupid like 35million copies....

Like.. Bro no. Nintendos first party is by far still the most potent. I may not be a personal fan; but my individual fandom doesn't matter. Not even Sonys most lauded games like Last of Us are reach 35million sold. Even stuff like Animal Crossing just crushes anything 1st party from Sony saleswise. Its not even close.

Stick to arguing opinions... At least you can win that argument. But don't include Sales. Nintendo first party sales shyt all over anyone elses. No one is close. The only franchises that play with those kinds of numbers is Call of Duty, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto and Minecraft. The rest is all a bunch of Nintendo shyt lol.

Whats crazy to me is they do those numbers on games without using graphics/physics as a selling point. Like, they dont even chase the bleeding edge of technology. They doing those numbers purely on the enjoyment only. No flair, no shock, no horsepower wars.

Welcome to the mobile game market. Candy crush does those numbers also

Xyrax

Superstar
Daps

Yes, I do. But thats because Im old enough to remember when Nintendo did have all of the third party support on the NES and the SNES.

And Mario and their first party stuff still outsold everything :deadmanny::deadrose:

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Yes, I do. But thats because Im old enough to remember when Nintendo did have all of the third party support on the NES and the SNES.

And Mario and their first party stuff still outsold everything :deadmanny::deadrose:

Back during the Nes/Snes era. Nintendo was THE game company ...pretty much had a monopoly which they lost once sony joined the game industry along with most 3rd party support, so of course their games were outselling other 3rd party games which couldn't compete against Mario. These days, games like COD and GTA are
Pretty much cultural events.

When the only blockbuster games on Nintendo are exclusive games from their IPs , then of course they going to sell a lot. Nintendo gamers be starving.

Last edited: