Has Sony surpassed Nintendo in 1st party IPs?

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Pokemon is literally the most valuable IP of all time and Mario is the most iconic video game character ever. Sony has great IPs but even God of War & Last of Us aren’t anywhere close to that level of brand recognition worldwide. You could also argue that Animal Crossing and Zelda are bigger than those two as well

Not a slight against Sony by any means but let’s be real, they don’t have anything on a Star Wars/Hello Kitty level and Pokémon alone is bigger than both.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Tbh, the only games I'd play out of the ones you listed are Gravity Tush and Persona, which isn't even a Sony title but Atlus's.

I prefer stylized games, and Sony currently has a hardon for realistic art styles, which bore me to tears.
Movie games isn't all they do but its clearly their comfort zone.
Which doesn't interest me at all, again.

And outside of a few, most videogame stories are trash.
The best ones I've seen tho, always utilize the medium to tell the story, whereas the worst ones take control from you and say "watch this".
Sony has trended toward the latter, can you admit this much?

Sony now is basically M$ with efficiency.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Pokemon is literally the most valuable IP of all time and Mario is the most iconic video game character ever. Sony has great IPs but even God of War & Last of Us aren’t anywhere close to that level of brand recognition worldwide. You could also argue that Animal Crossing and Zelda are bigger than those two as well

Not a slight against Sony by any means but let’s be real, they don’t have anything on a Star Wars/Hello Kitty level and Pokémon alone is bigger than both.

We’re talking about gameplay experiences not popularity.

Pokémon games are only made to supplement the merchandise at this point. They are very low effort and not even worth discussing anymore as far as actual games are concerned.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Tbh, the only games I'd play out of the ones you listed are Gravity Tush and Persona, which isn't even a Sony title but Atlus's.

I prefer stylized games, and Sony currently has a hardon for realistic art styles, which bore me to tears.
Movie games isn't all they do but its clearly their comfort zone.
Which doesn't interest me at all, again.

And outside of a few, most videogame stories are trash.
The best ones I've seen tho, always utilize the medium to tell the story, whereas the worst ones take control from you and say "watch this".
Sony has trended toward the latter, can you admit this much?

Realistic? Nintendo games WANT to look like this...

Ratchet-And-Clank-3.jpg

med_ede73a7b-aa52-40af-ba0f-d4ed08bab301_SABA_SCREENSHOT_ACTION_PR_003.jpg

fHwV3PXKAUzvDSZCG9cjfM.jpg

kena-bridge-of-spirits.jpg

The difference when you choose to make stylized games that can look like actual cartoons and when you’re forced to due to lack of available talent and capable hardware and have it still not look as polished. You can find plenty of PlayStation games that have stylized, Pixar, cell-shaded anime, or kid friendly aesthetics, but thats because sony has VARIETY. Nintendo will have low res, low poly, child like aesthetics because its simply easier to hide it’s flaws behind them. You can see in Nintendo’s more ‘mature’ games that they aren’t capable of delivering a pleasing real to life look in their games. 4 years later and the most graphically impressive games on the switch is xenoblad

Half of Nintendo’s non-mario IP’s still look like nintendo DS or wii games

For example: as much as I loved three houses, look at this shyt.

l9t09yjlvvd31.jpg

Nintendo is two generations behind in presentation. It’s not being “stylized” that way because it’s an anime inspired aesthetic its low res and flat textures is because they just aren’t capable of making it look better.

Versus an “anime” game like gravity rush 2...

uiiirsyjquytmvco6qvr.gif

P.S-

All these games are FUN.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The last nintendo 1st party

Pokémon games are only made to supplement the merchandise at this point. They are very low effort and not even worth discussing anymore as far as actual games are concerned.
ah good old Goal post shuffle, this was never said in the OP, and even then it's still not true.

Sony's 1st party gameplay experiences pale in comparison to nintendo in fact everyone's does. Nintendo has to much history, to many genre defending titles, to many 10 out of 10 games that are strictly 1st party games.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

ah good old Goal post shuffle, this was never said in the OP, and even then it's still not true.

Sony's 1st party gameplay experiences pale in comparison to nintendo in fact everyone's does. Nintendo has to much history, to many genre defending titles, to many 10 out of 10 games that are strictly 1st party games.

I would never imagine living to see the day where a Sony gamer denounced Japan and plays it cool with Japan abandoning any console that isnt a Nintendo Switch.

Remember those days When Sony clowned M$ heads because the lack of Japanese support?

My, my, my, how the goalposts change :sas2:

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps

Ok so what are the 10 out of 10 games they have released the past 5 years? Besides BOTW

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Agree to disagree. They’re cool if you like party games and have a bunch of people to play with, as single player experiences? Highly debatable

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
I wanna say yes but also wanna say no

Like every time I kinda count Nintendo out from a "alright these nikkas can't keep giving us the same game" perspective they manage to knock a couple things out the park and remind me that they can give me the same game and it'll still be fukking great.

Like I'm playing Bowser's Fury and its essentially just Super Mario 3D World and Odyssey but fukk it's fun as hell and I've enjoyed the fukk out of it. Fire Emblem games haven't seen drastic changes to the core mechanics since Awakening and every one is still fun as hell. They gave me the same shyt but it's fun and I'm enjoying the shyt out of it.

Some Sony IPs don't necessarily grab me or keep my attention the same way despite them being more ambitious in scale and presentation.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wanna say yes but also wanna say no

Like every time I kinda count Nintendo out from a "alright these nikkas can't keep giving us the same game" perspective they manage to knock a couple things out the park and remind me that they can give me the same game and it'll still be fukking great.

Like I'm playing Bowser's Fury and its essentially just Super Mario 3D World and Odyssey but fukk it's fun as hell and I've enjoyed the fukk out of it. Fire Emblem games haven't seen drastic changes to the core mechanics since Awakening and every one is still fun as hell. They gave me the same shyt but it's fun and I'm enjoying the shyt out of it.

Some Sony IPs don't necessarily grab me or keep my attention the same way despite them being more ambitious in scale and presentation.
I completely agree, and I think that comes from the fact that nintendo just wants a game to be fun 1st. If it's fun 1st everything you can work around, and most people like to game because they are having fun. I think hardcore sony fan's like to feel more so like they are playing a movie more so than playing a straight up "fun" game. Not saying that's wrong or bad, but in the long run I think that's why nintendo can release zelda OOT HD on a 8k tv and people pay 60 for it and sony can't release gow 1 HD remake and have the same reactions.

When your games bank on the current tech, trends and a story board then gameplay its a much harder sale 5, 10, 15 years down the road..... unless you are doing a complete remake or some super remaster.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

The thread is about IPs is it not? That’s more than just individual games or gameplay experiences. Nobody has bigger IPs than Nintendo period. We’re not gonna see any Playstation or Xbox theme parks anytime soon.

What you said about Pokémon actually helps to prove my point. The IP is so strong now that they don’t even need to sell games for it, even tho that’s the medium it started in.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The thread is about IPs is it not? That’s more than just individual games or gameplay experiences. Nobody has bigger IPs than Nintendo period. We’re not gonna see any Playstation or Xbox theme parks anytime soon.

What you said about Pokémon actually helps to prove my point. The IP is so strong now that they don’t even need to sell games for it, even tho that’s the medium it started in.
I've never seen anything like pokemon go on release. I remember it was a worldwide phenomenon that no other IP would have come close to pulling off.

I remember seeing people in the middle of the mall, and parks, walking around outside at work and just random hotspot playing that game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

My response is in regards to people bringing up how "fun" the games are and aying sony are just making non-playable "movie" games. I was arguging that sony games have just as much gameplay as nintend of games, they just do stuff ontop of it

the OP never made it clear if they were referring to marketability of the IP or the how the IP's and games are currently being received. So yes, nintendo can make movies, and theme parks and sells a shyt ton of mario and donkey kong merch, but so can sonic.

in terms of GAMES, sticking strictly to games. I think sony IP's are what the industry is more tuned into. Single player experiences are what makes the headlines, thats why BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, Prime 4, are the most anticipated nintendo titles to GAMERS.

sony is leagues ahead of everyone else as far as their games making NOISE in the industry.

Last edited: