Has Sony surpassed Nintendo in 1st party IPs?

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
My response is in regards to people bringing up how "fun" the games are and aying sony are just making non-playable "movie" games. I was arguging that sony games have just as much gameplay as nintend of games, they just do stuff ontop of it

the OP never made it clear if they were referring to marketability of the IP or the how the IP's and games are currently being received. So yes, nintendo can make movies, and theme parks and sells a shyt ton of mario and donkey kong merch, but so can sonic.

in terms of GAMES, sticking strictly to games. I think sony IP's are what the industry is more tuned into. Single player experiences are what makes the headlines, thats why BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, Prime 4, are the most anticipated nintendo titles to GAMERS.

sony is leagues ahead of everyone else as far as their games making NOISE in the industry.

You say that but IDK brah. As great as a game The Last of Us 2 is, the stand-out noise making moment in 2020 from a gaming perspective to me was how Animal Crossing landed at the most perfect, opportune time and moved units while fukking Switch consoles were constantly out of stock.

Nintendo IPs have lasted literal decades and still remain top-selling, console moving products while also reaching out past gaming.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You say that but IDK brah. As great as a game The Last of Us 2 is, the stand-out noise making moment in 2020 from a gaming perspective to me was how Animal Crossing landed at the most perfect, opportune time and moved units while fukking Switch consoles were constantly out of stock.

Nintendo IPs have lasted literal decades and still remain top-selling, console moving products while also reaching out past gaming.

Idk if animal crossing because the cross cultural-all age gaming phenomenon it does without those conditions. By the summer the talk about animal crossing had nearly died down as more people were going out...It’s still selling but so is clubhouse games. They are moment games.

Ghost of Tsushima came out and made waves simply on the fact that it was fun, and looked great. It sold well in japan and the us. It didn’t do numbers on controversy or because of the circumstances it was released in.

A lot of PlayStation games are like that. Where a lot of nintendo games feel like games of the moment because it was introduced with a gimmick or meme

There’s a reason PlayStation games dominate the GOTY. Awards for the last 10 years.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You can say animal crossing sold a shyt load of games but sales aren’t indicative of influence. For as many people bought and enjoyed animal crossing last year most people in the industry AND fans voted TLOU2 as the big game of the year. With Hades trailing really far in second.

* The Winners of this year *

The Last of Us Part II - 180

The Critics' Picks - 112
The Readers' Picks - 68

Hades - 44

The Critics' Picks - 42
The Readers' Picks - 2

Ghost of Tsushima - 31

The Critics' Picks - 27
The Readers' Picks - 4

Cyberpunk 2077 - 27

The Critics' Picks - 9
The Readers' Picks - 18

Final Fantasy VII Remake - 19

The Critics' Picks - 16
The Readers' Picks - 3

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 18

The Critics' Picks - 17
The Readers' Picks - 1

Doom Eternal - 10

The Critics' Picks - 10
The Readers' Picks -

Half-Life: Alyx - 10

The Critics' Picks - 10
The Readers' Picks -

I also need to point out off this list, there were 3 games exclusive to the PlayStation platform. While none were exclusive to any other aside from animal crossing and Alyx.

Death Stranding won the most the year before that and GoW the year before that with BoTW being the combo breaker before uncharted 4 won it before that.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If we’re gonna argue tangibles....

Yes nintendo is king of sales...no one will be coming for their software sales anytime soon outside of other mobile games, and 3rd party games.

As far as accolades, the winner has clearly been sony as of last gen.

Whichever one you think is more relevant or important to the gaming industry is your answer

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
If we’re gonna argue tangibles....

Yes nintendo is king of sales...no one will be coming for their software sales anytime soon outside of other mobile games, and 3rd party games.

As far as accolades, the winner has clearly been sony as of last gen.

Whichever one you think is more relevant or important to the gaming industry is your answer

I think both accolades and sales are similarly important measurements of success to the gaming industry. I just don't know how to truly/fairly gauge the argument. TLOU2 won GOTY, and that should be respected no doubt, but Animal Crossing put up a 30 bomb in the same year, and was in the same conversation for GOTY, and we can't ignore that either, especially when the numbers continue to go up.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think both accolades and sales are similarly important measurements of success to the gaming industry. I just don't know how to truly/fairly gauge the argument. TLOU2 won GOTY, and that should be respected no doubt, but Animal Crossing put up a 30 bomb in the same year, and was in the same conversation for GOTY, and we can't ignore that either, especially when the numbers continue to go up.

Well, i gave a metric, count the number of GOTY awards that were handed out. It was a landslide victory for TLOU2. It’s the most awarded game, probably ever?

Like i said, this comes down to whether or not you think sales or accolades are more important. The animal crossing metric of accolades is probably similar to TLOU2’s sales compared to Animal Crossing.

Also, we don’t know how the tv show will affect the sales either. The Witcher 3’s sales shot through the roof once the show premiered and it wasn’t even that great. But that tends ot happen with adaptations

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Switch_ACNH_ND0904_SCRN_11_bmp_jpgcopy.0.jpg

SMH

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps

170 hours and counting :blessed:

Well, i gave a metric, count the number of GOTY awards that were handed out. It was a landslide victory for TLOU2. It’s the most awarded game, probably ever?

Like i said, this comes down to whether or not you think sales or accolades are more important. The animal crossing metric of accolades is probably similar to TLOU2’s sales compared to Animal Crossing.

Also, we don’t know how the tv show will affect the sales either. The Witcher 3’s sales shot through the roof once the show premiered and it wasn’t even that great. But that tends ot happen with adaptations

I think I know where I'm getting hung up in all this and it's that I want accolades and sales to matter, while also trying to mix in my own personal eye test and all of that isn't meshing at all in my brain(which goes back to my first post of i wanna say yes and no at the same time). I'm also trying to stay non-biased but realize I kinda can't because my own eye test makes me side with Nintendo in this argument. I wanna make it clear that this isn't some stan shyt either cause I make it a point to not pledge allegiance to any of these consoles. TLOU2 is a fantastic game and is deserving of its praise, undoubtedly. It's one of those decade/generation defining games, right alongside BotW, Fortnite, GTA V, Witcher 3 and Skyrim. Sony I think with the PS5 has a really excellent chance at making some of the most incredible shyt we'll ever see, so I'd be willing to re-visit this in a few years once they get the ball really rolling.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
My response is in regards to people bringing up how "fun" the games are and aying sony are just making non-playable "movie" games. I was arguging that sony games have just as much gameplay as nintend of games, they just do stuff ontop of it

the OP never made it clear if they were referring to marketability of the IP or the how the IP's and games are currently being received. So yes, nintendo can make movies, and theme parks and sells a shyt ton of mario and donkey kong merch, but so can sonic.

in terms of GAMES, sticking strictly to games. I think sony IP's are what the industry is more tuned into. Single player experiences are what makes the headlines, thats why BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, Prime 4, are the most anticipated nintendo titles to GAMERS.

sony is leagues ahead of everyone else as far as their games making NOISE in the industry.

The funniest thing about this whole industry is that for all the flack Nintendo gets about kiddy games, the other development houses should be thanking the heavens that Nintendo has no interest in swimming in their waters, as the effect would be brutal.

They're wildly accepted by gaming media and other publishers as the premiere game design house, and if they really wanted to stomp in those arenas, the mediocrity of the rest would become super noticeable.

Y'all don't wanna see the Nintendo answer to God of War, Ratchet n Clank n Ghosts of Teriyaki.
Keep your accolades trailers and 13 million sold at $29.99.

You get what you claim your asking for, you'll ask to have it taken away.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The funniest thing about this whole industry is that for all the flack Nintendo gets about kiddy games, the other development houses should be thanking the heavens that Nintendo has no interest in swimming in their waters, as the effect would be brutal.

They're wildly accepted by gaming media and other publishers as the premiere game design house, and if they really wanted to stomp in those arenas, the mediocrity of the rest would become super noticeable.

Y'all don't wanna see the Nintendo answer to God of War, Ratchet n Clank n Ghosts of Teriyaki.

That would be a massacre if Nintendo started doing AAA M-Rated games with timeless gameplay. :heh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

:mjlol: