Has Sony surpassed Nintendo in 1st party IPs?

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
:francis: Why do nikkas keep bringing up sales? If you ain't buy a switch to play Nintendo games, wtf did you buy it for?
full

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

Welcome to the mobile game market. Candy crush does those numbers also

Maybe Nintendo ahead of the curve. :sas1:

Where is the PlayStation brand in Japanese sales charts nowadays? Nonexistent. Sony basically sold out Japan to be a slightly more efficient M$, where 60% of the game is watching a damn high budget cinematic movie. :martin:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Mario Kart 8 has sold something stupid like 35million copies....

Like.. Bro no. Nintendos first party is by far still the most potent. I may not be a personal fan; but my individual fandom doesn't matter. Not even Sonys most lauded games like Last of Us are reach 35million sold. Even stuff like Animal Crossing just crushes anything 1st party from Sony saleswise. Its not even close.

Stick to arguing opinions... At least you can win that argument. But don't include Sales. Nintendo first party sales shyt all over anyone elses. No one is close. The only franchises that play with those kinds of numbers is Call of Duty, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto and Minecraft. The rest is all a bunch of Nintendo shyt lol.

Whats crazy to me is they do those numbers on games without using graphics/physics as a selling point. Like, they dont even chase the bleeding edge of technology. They doing those numbers purely on the enjoyment only. No flair, no shock, no horsepower wars.

Exactly. Nintendo has gameplay down to a T, while the competition constant outpricing each other for Shenmue QuickTime events and cinematic cut,acenes at the expense of gameplay. And people wondered why Japan only aupports Nintendo nowadays.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
:francis: Why do nikkas keep bringing up sales? If you ain't buy a switch to play Nintendo games, wtf did you buy it for?
full
It's pretty obvious that Nintendo games would do numbers on any platform. You have more posts in the Pokemon GO thread than most of the Nintendo fans on here.

What the fukk are you talking about?

Last edited:

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
:patrice: I'm struggling here. The fukk does that have to do with anything?

Someone asked do we think Nintendo game sales would be as overwhelming if they had the same third party support as other consoles...

That's his answer, don't know why he directed it at you though.

The long and short of it is that Japan answers the question.
Nintendo Switch still sells the most software even with the Sony option available.

They're the best game makers in the world.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
:patrice: I'm struggling here. The fukk does that have to do with anything?
i meant quote someone else my bad.

Sales definitely matter and quality is subjective. So I guess at the end of the day it comes down to perspective and how you look at the situation.

Some are saying that it's obvious that Nintendo's games are going to sell well because they don't have the same amount of software support as other platforms. While other ppl are saying that there is no other company that can carry has bigger IP than Nintendo and people are going to gravitate to their games regardless. I'm in the latter group because not only do their games sell more, but they have a bigger cultural impact that can goes beyond their platforms. You see Nintendo's IP in stores, theme parks, television, and many other places. Yes, Nintendo probably initiated many of those deals, but you can't do that without quality. You also can't survive in the industry without quality and many think it says a lot that they're still in it considering some of the bullshyt they pull with things outside of their software.

Their games are that big. You put their software on any other platform and people are going to flock to it. You being all in that Pokemon GO thread proves this. I dont think Sony's games have that type of pull. As a matter of fact I know they dont.

Also, giving Sony props for releasing a lot of new IP's is a perspective thing too. Every successful IP they put out gets a sequel. They just happen to have a lot of flops.
Answer this: How many people do you actually looking down on Nintendo for releasing another Fire Emblem: Three Houses but giving Sony props for releasing Gravity Rush? I personally dont think many people think that way.

Last edited:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
i meant quote someone else my bad.

Sales definitely matter and quality is subjective. So I guess at the end of the day it comes down to perspective and how you look at the situation.

Some are saying that it's obvious that Nintendo's games are going to sell well because they don't have the same amount of software support as other platforms. While other ppl are saying that there is no other company that can carry has bigger IP than Nintendo and people are going to gravitate to their games regardless. I'm in the latter group because not only do their games sell more, but they have a bigger cultural impact that can goes beyond their platforms. You see Nintendo's IP in stores, theme parks, television, and many other places. Yes, Nintendo probably initiated many of those deals, but you can't do that without quality. You also can't survive in the industry without quality and many think it says a lot that they're still in it considering some of the bullshyt they pull with things outside of their software.

Their games are that big. You put their software on any other platform and people are going to flock to it. You being all in that Pokemon GO thread proves this. I dont think Sony's games have that type of pull. As a matter of fact I know they dont.

Also, giving Sony props for releasing a lot of new IP's is a perspective thing too. Every successful IP they put out gets a sequel. They just happen to have a lot of flops.
Answer this: How many people do you actually looking down on Nintendo for releasing another Fire Emblem: Three Houses but giving Sony props for releasing Gravity Rush? I personally dont think many people think that way.

"Quality will always be remembered, long after the price is forgotten"

The mere fact that games from the Gamecube and Wii era still have legendary gameplay that holds up in 2021, says it all about the Big N.

Anytime Sony has to release a PS2/3/4 game in the PS5, they have to do all kinds of graphical remasters just for Sony gamers to even TOLERATE downloading and playing it. Like its ashamed of the time period it was released in.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
"Quality will always be remembered, long after the price is forgotten"

The mere fact that games from the Gamecube and Wii era still have legendary gameplay that holds up in 2021, says it all about the Big N.

Anytime Sony has to release a PS2/3/4 game in the PS5, they have to do all kinds of graphical remasters just for Sony gamers to even TOLERATE downloading and playing it. Like its ashamed of the time period it was released in.
The narratives I read on here dont make sense.

- "The next Rachet and Clank is Day 1"..but having well established IP that have decades of successful installments is a knock on Nintendo.

- Nintendo games are for casuals and kids and I prefer revolutionary games from Sony that are just on another level...but Sony's most successful game over the last few years has been an anime mobile game.

- We're going to criticize Microsoft for Game Pass because Sony doesn't need that to sell their games on streaming and cloud services...and we're just going to ignore that Sony spent all that money on Gaikai (even bought up competition to do it) and squandered the PSNow situation.

- Sony brought back single player games...I guess Metal Gear Solid 4, Mario Galaxy, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, and all those other high quality games single player games that released 2 gens ago just didn't happen.

But like I said before, if any of the Sony stans want to leave their safe haven Ps5 thread and come back in here to answer the questions I asked earlier or justify all these narratives they've been posting on here, then they can feel free to. Not gonna happen though and we all know why, but stans will be stans at the end of the day. Even if it means ignoring logic and the obvious.

Last edited:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
The narratives I read on here dont make sense to me.

- All I see from Ps5 owners is that they are getting Rachet and Clank Day 1..but having well established IP that have decades of successful installments is a knock on Nintendo.

- Nintendo games are for casuals and kids and that they prefer revolutionary games from Sony that are just on another level...but Sony's most successful game over the last few years has been an anime mobile game.

- We're going to criticize Microsoft for Game Pass because Sony doesn't need that to sell their games...and we're just going to ignore that Sony spent all that money on Gaikai (even bought up competition to do it) and squandered the PSNow situation.

- Sony brought back single player games...I guess Metal Gear Solid 4, Mario Galaxy, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, and all those other high quality games single player games that released 2 gens ago just didn't happen.

But like I said before, if any of the Sony stans want to leave their safe haven Ps5 thread and come back in here to answer the questions I asked earlier or justify all these narratives they've been posting on here, then they can feel free to. Not gonna happen though and we all know why, but . stans will be stans at the end of the day. Even if it means ignore logic and the obvious.

Yeah, and now Sony Stans ignore Japan's market altogether because the gamers chosen The Nintendo Switch. Like the kid that is losing a game of ball, and suddenly quits and picks up the ball and goes home. Same logic. :heh:

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
:snoop:

Why keep making this about sales

Only animal crossing , zelda and pokemon do 20 30 mil

Sony ips selling 12-15 mil easily beating all of nintendos others from mario to kirby

And sony ips are over a decade they have lasted, nintendo was the only game in town if you going back 20 30 years

Thread title is surpassed
Meaning as of NOW sony got the juice and are not slowing down

Laou,hzd,got,gow, uncharted are all masterpiece games
Award winning, using the hardware to it's max potential

Gerald butler doing a god of war movie. Mark wahlberg and Tom holland doing uncharted movie..these are 200mill films with huge stars

Ratchet and clank we will see but could be looking at another classic and gran turismo not far behind

I think it's fair to say sony has surpassed nintendo, not speaking for kids but for gamers

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
:snoop:

Why keep making this about sales

Only animal crossing , zelda and pokemon do 20 30 mil

Sony ips selling 12-15 mil easily beating all of nintendos others from mario to kirby

And sony ips are over a decade they have lasted, nintendo was the only game in town if you going back 20 30 years

Thread title is surpassed
Meaning as of NOW sony got the juice and are not slowing down

Laou,hzd,got,gow, uncharted are all masterpiece games
Award winning, using the hardware to it's max potential

Gerald butler doing a god of war movie. Mark wahlberg and Tom holland doing uncharted movie..these are 200mill films with huge stars

Ratchet and clank we will see but could be looking at another classic and gran turismo not far behind

I think it's fair to say sony has surpassed nintendo, not speaking for kids but for gamers

Nah b. Most of Sony's games get cut in half or quarters price wise within months.
Nintendo games stay high for years.

And plenty of Nintendo B tier games sell in that 12-15 millie range.
Splatoon, Luigi's Mansion, Ring-Fit Adventure, etc.
That A tier is the 20 millie club with Mario Platformers and Zelda and Pokemon.
S tier is Mario Kart and Smash with Animal Crossing.
Sony's best and brightest are on par with Nintendo B tier.
They've got nothing for A and S tier.

"We ARE NOT THE SAME" energy, again.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
nikkas still referring to sony games as movie games, like spider-man, god of war, ratchet, tsushima, bloodborne, persona, gravity rush, infamous etc., ain’t like hours upon upon hours of gameplay. We live in the 21st century, games can have amazing narratives, voice acting, music, AND engaging gameplay. It’s not one or the other. You don’t have to design an entire game around a remote gimmick anymore in order for it to be fun.

Let’s compare this to 5-6 hour yoshi and Kirby baby games\ where you waggle your controller around like an idiot to poop eggs

As far as I’m concerned, nintendo will always be a companion system/handheld. You have it in conjunction with something else.

You can’t call yourself a gamer and live off nintendo titles. It’s just not possible and probably mad expensive.

Last edited:

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
nikkas still referring to sony games as movie games, like spider-man, god of war, ratchet, tsushima, bloodborne, persona, gravity rush, infamous etc., ain’t like hours upon upon hours of gameplay. We live in the 21st century, games can have amazing narratives, voice acting, music, AND engaging gameplay. It’s not one or the other. You don’t have to design an entire game around a remote gimmick anymore in order for it to be fun.

Let’s compare this to 5-6 hour yoshi and Kirby baby games\ where you waggle your controller around like an idiot to poop eggs

As far as I’m concerned, nintendo will always be a companion system/handheld. You have it in conjunction with something else.

You can’t call yourself a gamer and live off nintendo titles. It’s just not possible and probably mad expensive.

Tbh, the only games I'd play out of the ones you listed are Gravity Tush and Persona, which isn't even a Sony title but Atlus's.

I prefer stylized games, and Sony currently has a hardon for realistic art styles, which bore me to tears.
Movie games isn't all they do but its clearly their comfort zone.
Which doesn't interest me at all, again.

And outside of a few, most videogame stories are trash.
The best ones I've seen tho, always utilize the medium to tell the story, whereas the worst ones take control from you and say "watch this".
Sony has trended toward the latter, can you admit this much?