Has Nas recent run of excellence put him ahead of Jay-Z on your all-time list?

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
it's not only subjective, hov has impacted both the lyrical and business end of hip hop. He has continued the business and lyrical legacy of hip hop

It is subjective, Nas impacted the lyrical end of hip hop as well, its a tired argument because you'll have a ton of people on here saying Nas is better than Jay, and you'll have a ton of people saying Jay has always been better than Nas, all this is, is just stan wars. And by the way, what does his business end have to do with his music?

Trev86

Walls
Daps
lyrical wise I think he's doper.
in terms of all around rapper, its still pretty close id say

Hyman Roth

Pro
Supporter
Daps
I don't think the OP was asking is Nas better than Jay or has this changed their impact on the game.

Fact is in 2012, 18 years after his debut, Nas is still spitting with hunger and dedication. You can't make a strong argument for Nas ever falling off. Sure hes stumbled at moments in his career but all in all Nas has been Nas.

Jay on the other hand, appears to not really care anymore. You could see it when he dropped Blueprint 3. That was almost his way of saying "I'm done". He didn't update his content, then with Watch The Throne Kanye almost carried him the whole album. Every time Jay drops a new album he threatens that it's going to be Reasonable Doubt Jay. Never is, I don't think he could do it even if he wanted to without ghostwriters.

Jay will always be above Nas though. But in 2012 as far as skills, Nas is clearly the better rapper.

:wow:

I Am... - A big drop off from Illmatic & It Was Written.
Nastradamus - Terrible.

2004-2006
Street's Disciple - Awful.
Hip Hop Is Dead - Forgettable.

And just for the record Nas is my top 3.

Ronald

Daps
Murder To Excellence
New Day
Who Gone Stop Me

You didn't peep that Watch The Throne thread on Sohh? Jay was being majorly sucked off in there. Breaking the down the deeper meanings of dudes verses and all that.

His verses on Murder To Excellence and New Day were trash/corny

only really good verses he had on that album were

No Church
Who Gon' Stop Me
Primetime

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
It is subjective, Nas impacted the lyrical end of hip hop as well, its a tired argument because you'll have a ton of people on here saying Nas is better than Jay, and you'll have a ton of people saying Jay has always been better than Nas, all this is, is just stan wars. And by the way, what does his business end have to do with his music?

I always view Greats as trailblazers and/or folks who increase the standards of quality. So both Hov and Nas being capable of setting higher standards in lyrics and touching on a variety of subject matters, is what makes them both great. But Hip hop is not just about lyrics because of the high influence of out of booth things, like hip hop influence on fashion, cars, politics, race-relations etc

So Hov is better than Nas because he gave blueprints on lyrics/content (like Nas) and a blueprints for business moves that had Hip Hop as it's core selling point

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I always view Greats as trailblazers and/or folks who increase the standards of quality. So both Hov and Nas being capable of setting higher standards in lyrics and touching on a variety of subject matters, is what makes them both great. But Hip hop is not just about lyrics because of the high influence of out of booth things, like hip hop influence on fashion, cars, politics, race-relations etc

So Hov is better than Nas because he gave blueprints on lyrics/content (like Nas) and a blueprints for business moves that had Hip Hop as it's core selling point

You're acting like what you're saying is facts bro, if you feel as if Jay is better, I won't knock you, I feel as if Nas is better, to me his discography is superior, Illmatic, IWW, Stillmatic,Lost Tapes, Gods Son, Untitled are better than Jay's best work to me, I don't even want to bring in Nas's unreleased catalog, but I'm not going to knock someone that feels as if Jay is better though. Your reasons are void because you're bringing Jay's business endeavors when that has nothing to do with his music, using your logic, Diddy, and Master P should be up there as well since they made major business moves in hip-hop. At the end of the day its about the music, you can't play Jay-Z business moves in your car, at home, or on your headphones