Has anyone really stopped talking to one of their parents for a long amount of time?

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Over two years, I only talked to my father sparingly (family drama--difference in opinion)

I haven't seen him since the Summer of '10

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I posted about it in SOHH

I let it out (on this subject) in Courtdog's thread, but it basically got me to rethink what is important in life.
I wouldn't say it helped appreciate the fam--I already did. I've had a lot of deaths in the family, but the heaviest one has been the death of my little brother in the Spring of 2010 (car crash). He died on the way to my grandfather's funeral. I guess it showed me life is way more unpredictable than I once believed it was.
I was too shocked to grieve for a while. I thought I could just get "over" it, but I was wrong. I got into it with my father (who's taken it the worst). We've always had a decent relationship, but he disrespected and tried to take advantage of me. It's a long story that deals with insurance, my mother (his ex-wife) and my little brother and I'd rather not tell it. My point is; I learned I have to live my life for me and no one else--not even my father.
I did go into depression. I didn't care about the next day because I was gonna die someday. I didn't feel there was any reason to carry on with anything; like what's the point in building anything (relationships, finances, careers, etc.) when I could be gone like that.
I've had to learned to understand that life isn't about waiting to die. No, nothing you do for yourself will last, but what you do for others will.

jfkennedy

Best After Bobby
Daps
I went the past year w/o talking to my pops. I didn't call him, he didn't call me. I was like :yeshrug: but my moms would tell me how stubborn we both are and that it'd never get better. Eventually I had to just man up and establish contact with him.

Been trying to repair that though. Went over to his crib, watched the football game last Sunday. shyt was cool.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
My grandmother on the other hand I ain't talk to that evil bytch in 3 years

Kings County

Law III | Law XXV | Law XV
Daps
Reppin
The Roman Empire
My dad and I had a huge argument over a year ago..and we stopped all communication..it hurt like hell to not talk to him because we were very close..I would fix dinner for him, we would talk everyday...I was dead set on not calling him anymore...period...but friends were telling me how lucky I was to have a dad that was so involved in my life and to reconsider my actions...So on Fathers Day of this year I sucked it up and called him..turned out to be one of my better decisions..we started easing our way back into talking atleast once a week now.

AAWWWWWW :to:

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
I'm not in a position to judge because I don't know anyone's circumstances here, but I'm just finding it really staggering that people are saying they haven't spoken to their own mother for over 10 years like it's nothing. I agree with the other poster about y'all acting like you're talking about friends or some chick you just met the other day. :why: :smh: My mother passed 12 years ago and you know what, I'd do anything to have her back even if it's just to slap me or cuss me out in her Jamaican patois.

As for my father, we've been close for the first time in a while and yeah he gets on my nerves most times and we had a disagreement just earlier today over the way he handles things and even though we made our peace, I still feel a little bad. But he's still my father and I know he means well even if I don't like how he goes about things sometimes.

Unless your parents sexually abused you or you had a mother like DMX or they did something extra heinous, get over your damn self, pick up the phone talk to them, invite them out to dinner or something. When they eventually die there's no coming back and you're gonna feel like shyt forever. Life's too short to hold on to animosity.

Nah bruh. U got it wrong. Some parents treat their kids like shhyt and take for granted the relationship they have. They use the "u only have 1 parent" as a scapegoat to treat people badly" and that ain't cool.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Haven't talked to my mom or seen here since 96.

Haven't seen my mom since '99. Haven't talked to her since '00.

Damn I thought I was the only person that didn't talk to their mom. Haven't seen her since 06.

:ohmy: I though my 2 years without (had about 3 arguments, though) talkin' to my father, much, was bad

I just started talkin' to him, again

§ansprix™;1572489 said:
I couldn't imagine not speaking to my parents. shyt, I don't even go one day without checking in with them.

I don't know your guys' reasons, they might be justified, but really.....think to yourself how would you feel if they died today? If you'd feel okay with not speaking to them before they died, then stay doing you. If not, you need to be the bigger person and put the bullshyt aside. You only have one set of parents and life is way too short for real.

After goin' through the death of my brother & grandpa, I have a new outlook on family and death

It ain't about "let me treat them good so I don't feel bad when they die...cuz the only thing that matters was the last interaction we had" :dry:

I've been in my father's life 24 years--these last 2 years aren't gonna define the other 22

But, I understand where you're comin'

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
We all love our parents. But when parents do and say fucced up shhyt to their kids, that can sometimes justify cuttin your parents off for periods of time

Nah bruh. U got it wrong. Some parents treat their kids like shhyt and take for granted the relationship they have. They use the "u only have 1 parent" as a scapegoat to treat people badly" and that ain't cool.

This

We could easily play the "I'm your first child/oldest/only boy/girl" card

Parents need to stop usin' "I took care of you" as an excuse to mistreat their children...especially once we become adults

I thought parents did that because they loved us...

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I had a huge fallin out wit moms last yr. Moms was dead azz wrong and came at me super disrespectful and lied on me. I didnt speak to her for 4 months.I saw her a few times within that 4 month period at my gramas house and at my aunties house , I didn't say anything to her and didn't even look at her. It might sound cold ,but it was justified based on her actions.

It took my uncle to set up a meeting with all 3 of us for it to be squashed. Still to this day I lightweight hold a mini grudge on moms for the crazy shyyt she did and said. We coo tho:obama:
EDIT: For your sake; I'd let it go completely

I'm tryin' (have been for a month) to deal with my father again

But, it hard because he's so unapologetic about what he did

I can't pretend what he did won't effect our future, so I'm steppin' back and tryin' get it together

Kuuuuush

Riiiiiiiiight
Daps
Haven't talked to my father in about 5 years. He basically chose not to be part of my or my brother and sister's life when he picked up and left my mom and moved halfway around the world to start a new family. On the other hand, I'm real close to my moms because of it and talk to her a few times a week. In fact I'm gonna go there tomorrow and get some home cooking inside me :lawd:

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
I rarely see my mom, maybe once every 5 years if that. We talk on the phone maybe a few times a year, however she's practically out of my life. :manny: