Has anyone really stopped talking to one of their parents for a long amount of time?

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
This shyt in this thread is kinda heartbreaking.

I don't really talk to my pops (he left the family), and even though I live with my mom, I can't even imagine not talking to her every single day, even if I lived thousands of miles away. Damn ya'll.

Thinking even deeper about this shyt, my mom bailed me outta jail when I got in trouble, and took me to every court date. She worked her fingers to the bone to feed us and maintain the house. She pushed me hard even from single digits, age 8 or 9 to do good in school, and even though I never did, she never let up or gave up. She never missed a parent teacher interview, and even though she made it hell for me even till the later years of HS, deep inside I was proud and lucky to have a mom who cared that much. Now that I'm older, I make sure I talk to my mom every day about anything. She's basically the only person in the world who will love me for who I really am. How can anyone turn their back on their loving parent?

Ya'll need to go to Church/Mosque/Temple, remove your egos. Some posts here are utterly mind-boggling.

swimmingpools

strawberry bubblegum
Daps
I was going to say yes until I read some of these responses and realized the time I've spent not talking to them is not that long. Extended family though? I have cut a lot of them off.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
This shyt in this thread is kinda heartbreaking.

I don't really talk to my pops (he left the family), and even though I live with my mom, I can't even imagine not talking to her every single day, even if I lived thousands of miles away. Damn ya'll.

Thinking even deeper about this shyt, my mom bailed me outta jail when I got in trouble, and took me to every court date. She worked her fingers to the bone to feed us and maintain the house. She pushed me hard even from single digits, age 8 or 9 to do good in school, and even though I never did, she never let up or gave up. She never missed a parent teacher interview, and even though she made it hell for me even till the later years of HS, deep inside I was proud and lucky to have a mom who cared that much. Now that I'm older, I make sure I talk to my mom every day about anything. She's basically the only person in the world who will love me for who I really am. How can anyone turn their back on their loving parent?

Ya'll need to go to Church/Mosque/Temple, remove your egos. Some posts here are utterly mind-boggling.

some parents deserve the cold shoulder:manny:

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps
WTF @ this thread. Y'all people are fukked up.

I talk to my moms like every other day on average. My pops, about once a week on average.

Unless your parents seriously abused/neglected you in some way, there's no excuse for some of the shyt I'm reading.

I'm gonna find a 'dark-skinned black woman'-related thread to post in, so I can be one of the worst posters in the thread again. This shyt is too weird :laugh:

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
WTF @ this thread. Y'all people are fukked up.

I talk to my moms like every other day on average. My pops, about once a week on average.

Unless your parents seriously abused/neglected you in some way, there's no excuse for some of the shyt I'm reading.

I'm gonna find a 'dark-skinned black woman'-related thread to post in, so I can be one of the worst posters in the thread again. This shyt is too weird :laugh:

Fam. How can u say that the only reason that a kid shouldn't talk to their parents is unless they were abused or neglected? There are a million and 1 reasons not to speak to a parent. If your dad cleans out your account because u share the same name, is that a reason not to speak to your pop? If your mom assualted your wife for no reason? Is that a good enough reason? (None of that was specific for me) but just sayin 4 example. U are giving the title of "parent" too much credit. Just because u are a parent, that doesn't merrit a child to deal with u if u do fuced up shhyt.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Forgiveness is one of the hardest gifts to give. I tell the people I work with all the time cause they say people/parents have to earn their forgiveness. It's can't be earned its a gift it has to be given. I liken it to waking up in the morning and putting on a heavy down jacket. It's still warm here to carry all that extra weight and heat with you everyday is a choice you make, one day you can choose to take off the layers and be comfortable.

Many people are afraid to forgive because they feel they must remember the wrong or they will not learn from it. The opposite is true. Through forgiveness, the wrong is released from its emotional stranglehold on us so that we can learn from it. Through the power and intelligence of the heart, the release of forgiveness brings expanded intelligence to work with the situation more effectively. -- David McArthur & Bruce McArthur
This and a Bible verse, that basically says the same thing, hit me hard a few weeks ago.

There the reason I finally called my (crazy) father to try to get things rite

Ppl always wanna clown religion, but, lettin' go of pride/ego so u can make the rite choice is :dj2:

some parents deserve the cold shoulder:manny:
:sadcam: Ronnie, you soudin' a lot like me, a couple of months ago

I hope yo' situation gets better brother

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
i cant go a week without talking to my mother, i start worrying if she's aight or not.

Same here, i almost lost my mama once cause of doctors giving her incorrect medication in the summer , if i didn't answer that phone call she might not be here :to:.

AgentSofia

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Texas
When i was in high school, I went about a year not speaking to my father and we lived in the same house. He acted as if I didn't exist. He would plan family outings and only buy tickets for my brothers and not me. He would even set the motion sensor house alarm even when he knew i was home. It went off when i woke and went to the kitchen, police showed up and i had to convince them i wasn't a robber.

Things got a lil better but we still don't speak often. I can go months without speaking to him. Only see him on major holidays, mainly just Christmas. I don't even think he wished me happy birthday for a few years.

His birthday is coming up and my mom keeps asking what i am going to get for him. She just wont believe me every time I say NOTHING!!

Air Nikes N Hats

Poor mans Johnny Football Lifestyle!
Daps
Reppin
SINY!!
My pops had substance abuse and gambling issues most of his life. shyt hit the fan when I was around 15-16. He kept gambling/drinking/snorting away paychecks, and our first house went into foreclosure.

After seeing what my moms went through, I didnt speak to him for about 4-5 years. The day my neice was born, he stopped by the house with a bottle of vodka. He wanted me to have a few drinks with him to celebrate and that he was quitting everything cold turkey the following day. We drank a few...

My niece will be 14, my pops hasnt had a single drink, drug, or gambled since. Dude is a straight arrow

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
My pops had substance abuse and gambling issues most of his life. shyt hit the fan when I was around 15-16. He kept gambling/drinking/snorting away paychecks, and our first house went into foreclosure.

After seeing what my moms went through, I didnt speak to him for about 4-5 years. The day my neice was born, he stopped by the house with a bottle of vodka. He wanted me to have a few drinks with him to celebrate and that he was quitting everything cold turkey the following day. We drank a few...

My niece will be 14, my pops hasnt had a single drink, drug, or gambled since. Dude is a straight arrow

good to hear! :myman:

Air Nikes N Hats

Poor mans Johnny Football Lifestyle!
Daps
Reppin
SINY!!
good to hear! :myman:

:salute:

Hes a little to far leaning the other way though.....game me some shyt when I got tatted up, bytches when I used to come home trashed.....

Its all jokes now, but I do hope some of the other situations Ive read about here improve, or if not that people can get some closure on these demonic periods of their lives