Harvard Won't Give Cornel West Tenure

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He isn't exactly the covert kind of guy. Sometimes you gotta play a long finesse game instead of trying to go in leroy jenkins style. Them cacs smelled him a mile awhile. :pachaha:
He's honestly one of the most charitable Black professors of his ideology, Frank B. Wilderson III, Saidiya Hartman, Lani Guinier, Angela Davis, etc are significantly much less willing to work their institutions and peers when they disagree.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
G16jImU.jpg

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He absolutely was in my opinion. Obama could have been better like every single person in history could, but in this world of the tea party and the obstructionist GOP, Obama did what he could. I would have loved for him to have been more liberal but again nobody’s perfect.

West is a cartoon character, I mean the man wears the same outfit daily like Doug Funny but as a younger man I loved him until I realized he was one of the worst thing for us as black people, a washed up, hating ass nikka:yeshrug:
What was he wrong about specially though? He gave Obama the benefit of the doubt, but even reading through A Promised Land (I'm on page 547 right now), Obama purposely made some poor decisions, needlessly targeted people, helped people buy wholesale into the idea that Black representation = Black progress, and at times even showed a bit of cowardice.

I'm generally more charitable towards Obama than other Left-leaning people - but the majority of West's critiques were entirely in good faith. And he's consistent, he did the same thing toward Bush and Trump, as well as Biden.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
He's been tenured at Harvard in the past, as well as others.

I would absolutely love if he co-taught between Morehouse, Howard, Spelman, and one of the Ivies - I think it the responsibility of world-renowned intellectuals to not necessarily participate in the hoarding of intellectual resources at a select few Ivy League schools - Howard Zinn spent years teaching at Spelman until he was pushed out for being too radical.

did you attend an HBCU? lol those places are ground zero for Status Quo politics, no matter how much we wish they were the hub of militant and radical thought.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
What was he wrong about specially though? He gave Obama the benefit of the doubt, but even reading through A Promised Land (I'm on page 547 right now), Obama purposely made some poor decisions, needlessly targeted people, helped people buy wholesale into the idea that Black representation = Black progress, and at times even showed a bit of cowardice.

I'm generally more charitable towards Obama than other Left-leaning people - but the majority of West's critiques were entirely in good faith. And he's consistent, he did the same thing toward Bush and Trump, as well as Biden.
If Obama had given him a Inauguration ticket and access to the White House his issue with Obama would be nonexistent and he would still be fellating him by waxing poetic fluff pieces.

I don’t feel like refuting every point of his but this a article by toure I agree with
What's Behind Cornel West's Attacks on Obama

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
This isn't true at all.

it most definitely is. Dude has exclusively work at Ivy League schools placating to white Bernie bro jacobin type liberals. His criticism of Obama and Coates reeks disgraceful crab in a bucket shyt. It’s one thing to disagree with them but he went over the top. Theres a reason why brothers like MED broke with him ions ago. He’s long had a reputation of promoting himself instead of actual tangibles like say the IVY league longstanding exclusion of black recruitment. It’s a reason he’s bounced around so much. He’s fallen out with Harvard before so don’t worry. He will probably be in the new matrix movies before landing at another PWI. BTW, Has he ever said anything about the wachowskis “sister” stealing their most famous IP from a black woman?

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
did you attend an HBCU? lol those places are ground zero for Status Quo politics, no matter how much we wish they were the hub of militant and radical thought.
I know :heh: I just like if a greater swath of students have the opportunity to have a brilliant professor - as opposed to its being concentrated within a small cadre of schools.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
"He said his request was denied based on the substance of his work.”

Sounds like the people at Harvard need to clarify this. What the hell does "substance of his work" even mean? That's way too broad a phrase to tell us anything.
And the denial to Lorgia Garcia Pena might suggest a pattern or systemic issue at Harvard.

Part of me thinks..."Screw it. Go elsewhere. Harvard isn't for you". But at the same time if there's a pattern of discrimination, I think that should be investigated and dealt with.

The problem that will probably come out of this is that people who disagree with Cornell West's politics or religious views or personality will let that cloud the issue here.

It definitely should be, there's definitely a trend of both Harvard and Yale pushing out "radical" professors - even those with popular and lauded work.

He should have played it safer if he wanted to be tenured. Sometimes you gotta play chess when it ain't your board.

Exactly. If someone as impactful, well-known, and deeply “resumed” (reh-zoo-mayed) as Cornell West cannot get tenure then what are the requirements? Probably whiteness in tone that can only be overcame by whiteness in thought. There’s probably some bum ass professor that reads off the slides that has tenure there.

nikka you sound low-rent AF.

I charged a company $11k to do a technical training in my fukking gym shorts in the comforts of my living room over Zoom. I’m not going to make any assumptions but you seem to me like one of the types that don’t really know how much money is floating around out here. You should have felt embarrassed even asking him to go below $10k + Travel, Lodging, and Per Diem. nikka you either got the chips or you don’t.

Talking about a nikka that’s internationally known should have just been happy with a free trip and a couple racks. You know how many free trips this nikka been on? How many filet mignons and unlimited wine nights he been on for free? You came at his booking agent like Cornell west was some Hebrew Israelite nikka yelling on 125th...that’s how you at one of them nikkas....not a critically acclaimed professor.

this sounds about right tho. $10K sounds on par especially on par for an institution for booking because companies are suppose to set aside budgets for things like this. I do video/editing and what I charge everyday folks vs companies is different. I have had a couple of companies paying me $5K just to edit a video (they set the price not me) vs some people $500 to shoot and edit.

Ya'll coulda' recouped that money fast if you woulda' booked him and all you needed were like 2 title sponsors. $5K each to get a banner, ads, logos on handouts and that would be very worth it if you're bringing a world renowned speaker so it woulda' costed you nothing and he's a seasoned speaker and understands that, which is why he charged you that much.

I realize he wants the prestige of Harvard tenure. But, I guarantee you he would have already had tenure at Howard, Morehouse, Hampton, NC A&T etc.. .

Who cares? West is known to covert exclusively with north eastern liberals who want to feel “cultured” Reap what you sow

You're absolutely right on both accounts.

He wrote an article about the exact phenomenon you're talking about too - The Dilemma of the Black Intellectual.

it most definitely is. Dude has exclusively work at Ivy League schools placating to white Bernie bro jacobin type liberals. His criticism of Obama and Coates reeks disgraceful crab in a bucket shyt. It’s one thing to disagree with them but he went over the top. Theres a reason why brothers like MED broke with him ions ago. He’s long had a reputation of promoting himself instead of actual tangibles like say the IVY league longstanding exclusion of black recruitment. It’s a reason he’s bounced around so much. He’s fallen out with Harvard before so don’t worry. He will probably be in the new matrix movies before landing at another PWI. BTW, Has he ever said anything about the wachowskis “sister” stealing their most famous IP from a black woman?
He teaches a couple of classes every semester and publishes frequently - that's exactly what higher-ed institutions want.

Trust me on this, its racism, Zionism, and him being too comfortable calling them out about affirmative action and labor issues.
it wasn't until i saw Dyson's take down of West, that i realized how little work West was doing.

He's really more of an activist than an academic right now

https://newrepublic.com/article/121550/cornel-wests-rise-fall-our-most-exciting-black-scholar-ghost

West hasn't done shyt in years. No books. Etc.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
He basically said in the tweets why they won't give it to him and yall non reading dudes talking about everything BUT:martin:

His critique's of Israel is why, the thing that gets you blackballed quicker than anything in the western world.

He’s been shytting on Israel and linking with Farrakhan and Sharpton for decades now. The cacs are just tired of his shyt at this particular moment but he will bounce around to Yale or Princeton like always

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is a lot so I'll take it in parts.

He does work exclusively in Ivy League or "top" universities - that's his choice, I have no issue with that on its own. Larger platform and more money.

That doesn't have much to do with that you're describing as "white Bernie-bro Jacobin type liberals," you're just sort of describing the general ideology of most millennials and older Gen Z.

His criticisms of Obama were pretty fair. As for his criticism of Coates - I think it was sillier, but when it comes to Black writers and academics, its an incredibly, incredibly prominent thing - Ismael Reed, Toni Morrison, Frank B. Wilderson, Charisse-Burden Stelly, Jared Ball, Manning Marable, Frantz Fanon, W.E.B. Du Bois, etc have all engaged in the same criticism of their Black peers.

Cornel West has championed affirmative-action and more accessible schools, his self-promotion hasn't really supplanted that.

He's bounced around because some schools offer more elbow-room, more money, or more control - I'm well aware he's fallen out with Harvard before, I mentioned it in an earlier message.

As for the Matrix movies - there was never an ounce of legitimate evidence behind that woman's claims against the Wachowskis. I was rooting for her, but there was more plot taken from Octavia Butler than there was from her largely underdeveloped scripts. I've read into the case she brought for years.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
I’ll stop you there i wasn’t looking for a hook up, this was after i literally brought this to the number 2 man on our campus, they asked could he lower it, the organization I’m a part of had a limited budget like all of the organizations, i tried to present how this would have made my school immensely more of a presence in the media and they could have charged and made the money back but they didn’t go for it, and asked could he reduce, i did and they was like nah we can’t

So because y'all some broke boys he was supposed to bend?? :comeon:

read my post i just attached