Harvard Won't Give Cornel West Tenure

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Dr. Cornel West is Leaving Harvard for Union Theological Seminary
March 8, 2021

Dr. Cornel West—one of the nation’s most prolific scholars—is leaving Harvard University again. This time, he is heading back to Union Theological Seminary in New York City, for the fourth time.

His departure from Harvard comes amid the university’s recent refusal to grant him tenure, although West had previously been tenured there as well as at two other Ivy League institutions—Yale and Princeton.

West, 67, a prominent philosopher and Black intellectual, began his teaching career at Union Theological Seminary as a young 23-year-old. At Union, he will hold the Dietrich Bonhoeffer Chair.

Dr. Cornel West

Last edited:

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Doesnt sound like a big difference at all if you stand for something:francis:

We are making excuses for the man,willing to bet he could get more than 120k if he pushed back like he did with homie from the chiropracter school.

exactly, nikka standing on principle, and they falling in line with his principal, dude could go to Iowa and still get paid, but this the hill he wants to die on, he could go to an hbcu and bring notoriety there, and still get his cake

Dr. Cornel West is Leaving Harvard for Union Theological Seminary
March 8, 2021

Dr. Cornel West—one of the nation’s most prolific scholars—is leaving Harvard University again. This time, he is heading back to Union Theological Seminary in New York City, for the fourth time.

His departure from Harvard comes amid the university’s recent refusal to grant him tenure, although West had previously been tenured there as well as at two other Ivy League institutions—Yale and Princeton.

West, 67, a prominent philosopher and Black intellectual, began his teaching career at Union Theological Seminary as a young 23-year-old. At Union, he will hold the Dietrich Bonhoeffer Chair.

Dr. Cornel West

then jumps ship to go to a theological school instead of a HBCU

The fukk are y’all getting on @DropTopDoc for :gucci:

he literally said his boss on his campus wouldn’t book him cause the price was too high. He had nothing to do with the decision. Can y’all read?

they can’t, nikkas would sooner assume them ask questions

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Colleges across the nation are doing anything they can to avoid tenure.

This right here breh. Glad you mentioned it. The new hustle is to have all these adjunct professors paying them for cheap. While the universities increase tuition and don't do shyt but add some new buildings to the campus.

What use is new buildings to students when the teachers are worse, less classes are offered and the tuition keeps going up and up.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
He basically said in the tweets why they won't give it to him and yall non reading dudes talking about everything BUT:martin:

His critique's of Israel is why, the thing that gets you blackballed quicker than anything in the western world.
Yep, people are pushing back against the bullying, though.

01/19/23
The Harvard Kennedy School reversed course on Thursday and said it would offer a fellowship to a leading human rights advocate it had previously rejected, after news of the decision touched off a public outcry over academic freedom, donor influence and the boundaries of criticism of Israel

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
*Jan 13, 2023

Ex-HRW chief Kenneth Roth speaks to MEE after being denied Harvard fellowship

“They had to tell me that Dean Elmendorf had vetoed my fellowship. The reason he gave was my criticism of Israel.” Kenneth Roth, the former chief of Human Rights Watch, speaks to MEE after he was denied a fellowship by Harvard University. Harvard’s decision has led to a wave of outrage and concern over the restriction of academic freedom when it comes to criticism of Israel's treatment of Palestinians

Jan 20, 2023

Harvard Backtracks on Fellowship Award​

Former Human Rights Watch director said the Kennedy School rejected him over his criticism of Israel. The dean reversed course Thursday.

Kenneth Roth, a middle-aged white man with gray hair and glasses.

Kenneth Roth
(University of Pennsylvania)
A Harvard University dean says he’s reversing course and offering a fellowship to Kenneth Roth, the former longtime Human Rights Watch executive director who said he was initially rejected over his criticism of Israel.
Roth, whose Jewish father fled Nazi Germany as a boy, said Thursday he will accept the John F. Kennedy School of Government fellowship, while also honoring the visiting fellowship the University of Pennsylvania gave him for this academic year.
But he’s not done questioning the initial decision.

“This is about much more than just my fellowship,” Roth said. “This is only going to be victory for academic freedom if the broader threat to academic freedom is addressed. And that means coming clean about who influenced [Dean Doug] Elmendorf and reaffirming that criticism of Israel is not grounds for penalizing scholars.”

The free speech group PEN America is also continuing to ask questions.

“By denying him the fellowship, the university sent an alarming message that champions of human rights could see their academic careers derailed for speaking out against powerful governments,” Jonathan Friedman, the group’s director of free expression and education programs, said in a statement. “It is important for institutions to be able to recognize where they have made an error that encroaches on free speech and academic freedom and to correct it; Harvard deserves credit for that. That said, questions remain about why Roth was denied this fellowship in the first place.”

Roth and his supporters said Doug Elmendorf, dean of the Kennedy School, blocked his appointment over his criticism of Israel. The Nation first reported on the allegations Jan. 5.

“First, let me emphasize that my [rejection] decision was not influenced by donors,” Elmendorf wrote in a letter to the “Harvard Kennedy School Community” Thursday. He and the Kennedy School didn’t comment further Thursday.

“Donors do not affect our consideration of academic matters,” he wrote. “My decision also was not made to limit debate at the Kennedy School about human rights in any country. As a community we are steadfastly committed to free inquiry and including a wide range of views on public policy, and the appointment of a Fellow is never an endorsement of the views of that individual nor a refutation of other views. My decision on Mr. Roth last summer was based on my evaluation of his potential contributions to the school.”

Roth said the fellowship is unpaid. Elmendorf’s letter doesn’t explain why he found Roth’s “potential contributions” unworthy of the honor.

“I now believe that I made an error in my decision not to appoint him as a fellow at our Carr Center for Human Rights [Policy],” Elmendorf wrote. “I am sorry that the decision inadvertently cast doubt on the mission of the school and our commitment to open debate in ways I had not intended and do not believe to be true. The broader faculty input I have now sought and received has persuaded me that my decision was not the best one for the School.”

Mathias Risse, director of the Kennedy School’s Carr Center for Human Rights Policy, initially proposed Roth as a fellow.

“There was an enormous amount of [Kennedy School] faculty mobilization in support of having Ken Roth here as a fellow, and in fact, the faculty spoke pretty much unanimously in this matter (and this would include many who disagree with him on certain things),” Risse wrote in an email Thursday. “From where I stand, it is because of this faculty input that the dean changed his mind, to the point of acknowledging that he had made an error earlier.”

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.