Harvard Won't Give Cornel West Tenure

JoseLuisGotcha

Aka Allhiphopsux
Daps
Reppin
#717 --> #215 #PA #ByrdGang
i think he wanted 10 grand, and i might be low balling it bruh, first class flight a 4 star or better hotel plus i think all expenses paid for the food or a ridiculous stipend per day like 300

this sounds about right tho. $10K sounds on par especially on par for an institution for booking because companies are suppose to set aside budgets for things like this. I do video/editing and what I charge everyday folks vs companies is different. I have had a couple of companies paying me $5K just to edit a video (they set the price not me) vs some people $500 to shoot and edit.

Ya'll coulda' recouped that money fast if you woulda' booked him and all you needed were like 2 title sponsors. $5K each to get a banner, ads, logos on handouts and that would be very worth it if you're bringing a world renowned speaker so it woulda' costed you nothing and he's a seasoned speaker and understands that, which is why he charged you that much.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i think he wanted 10 grand, and i might be low balling it bruh, first class flight a 4 star or better hotel plus i think all expenses paid for the food or a ridiculous stipend per day like 300

i feel you but honestly... minus the fight class flight, this is how my company sends me to conventions.

Business Class flight
4-star hotel
300/day stipend (150 food/150 uber)

I'm good at my job, but i'm not the Cornel West of my job

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
:manny: I tried to get him to speak at my chiropractic school and that nikka refused to come down on his price and things he demanded to speak, I’m all for getting it how you live, but every school doesn’t have that capital allotted towards a black organization, I’m sure he’s a good guy and has his detractors, but that whole ordeal turned me away
You dealt with him directly? Not his booking agent?

I agree with them not budging on the price & rider. Dr. West has appeared in many forums and meetings for free where he's interacted with the people, as I'm sure he still does.
The lecture circuit is the lecture circuit, though,

fukk you, pay me!

d8cwhedqcoh51.png

Having said that, I agree with your point about this tenure issue being academia politics and question Dr, West making this a public discussion.

Last edited:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:manny: I tried to get him to speak at my chiropractic school and that nikka refused to come down on his price and things he demanded to speak, I’m all for getting it how you live, but every school doesn’t have that capital allotted towards a black organization, I’m sure he’s a good guy and has his detractors, but that whole ordeal turned me away
So because y'all some broke boys he was supposed to bend?? :comeon:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thanks for posting the thread. Seems more suited for HL, though. Some of the early comments here confirm why.

Being the annointed/appointed spokesperson for Blacks has strings attached. Once you don't promote what the backers support, you are pushed to the side. The removal of Dr. West as a talking head and public intellectual has been one of the more eye opening things I've seen happen in real life.

Speaking of things I've seen in real life, the politics involved in the ivory tower and Black professors often involve racism, ego, backstabbing, and new "stars" emerging at an institution. All are at play here in my view along with West's support of BDS.
You're absolutely right on both accounts.

He wrote an article about the exact phenomenon you're talking about too - The Dilemma of the Black Intellectual.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I realize he wants the prestige of Harvard tenure. But, I guarantee you he would have already had tenure at Howard, Morehouse, Hampton, NC A&T etc.. .
He's been tenured at Harvard in the past, as well as others.

I would absolutely love if he co-taught between Morehouse, Howard, Spelman, and one of the Ivies - I think it the responsibility of world-renowned intellectuals to not necessarily participate in the hoarding of intellectual resources at a select few Ivy League schools - Howard Zinn spent years teaching at Spelman until he was pushed out for being too radical.

Daps
He basically said in the tweets why they won't give it to him and yall non reading dudes talking about everything BUT:martin:

His critique's of Israel is why, the thing that gets you blackballed quicker than anything in the western world.

Breh, this entire thread has me both :what: and :dead: at the same time.

How 95% of the thread isn't even discussing the matter at hand but more interested in pocket watching. :pachaha:

Or they won't give him tenure cuz of some ADOS talk. :mjlol:

Cornel West is the most prominent outspoken critic of Palestinian occupation in the country. This isn't complicated.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
I’ll stop you there i wasn’t looking for a hook up, this was after i literally brought this to the number 2 man on our campus, they asked could he lower it, the organization I’m a part of had a limited budget like all of the organizations, i tried to present how this would have made my school immensely more of a presence in the media and they could have charged and made the money back but they didn’t go for it, and asked could he reduce, i did and they was like nah we can’t

since you making assumptions @Deuterion ill cc you in this response, and for the second time none of you know me, so do t make assumptions about my character

this sounds about right tho. $10K sounds on par especially on par for an institution for booking because companies are suppose to set aside budgets for things like this. I do video/editing and what I charge everyday folks vs companies is different. I have had a couple of companies paying me $5K just to edit a video (they set the price not me) vs some people $500 to shoot and edit.

Ya'll coulda' recouped that money fast if you woulda' booked him and all you needed were like 2 title sponsors. $5K each to get a banner, ads, logos on handouts and that would be very worth it if you're bringing a world renowned speaker so it woulda' costed you nothing and he's a seasoned speaker and understands that, which is why he charged you that much.

look at my response above it sums it up, i agree, i threw my caveat in though that was unique to me

i feel you but honestly... minus the fight class flight, this is how my company sends me to conventions.

Business Class flight
4-star hotel
300/day stipend (150 food/150 uber)

I'm good at my job, but i'm not the Cornel West of my job

i also agree, I’ll also say look at my response i quoted

You dealt with him directly? Not his booking agent?

I agree with them not budging on the price & rider. Dr. West has appeared in many forums and meetings for free where he's interacted with the people, as I'm sure he still does.
The lecture circuit is the lecture circuit, though,

fukk you, pay me!

d8cwhedqcoh51.png

Having said that, I agree with your point about this tenure issue being academia politics and question Dr, West making this a public discussion.

it was booking agent, I’m not mad, but i had a unique situation he operated the way he felt he needed, but don’t ask me to feel sorry when the shoe is on the other foot

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Was he wrong about Obama?
He absolutely was in my opinion. Obama could have been better like every single person in history could, but in this world of the tea party and the obstructionist GOP, Obama did what he could. I would have loved for him to have been more liberal but again nobody’s perfect.

West is a cartoon character, I mean the man wears the same outfit daily like Doug Funny but as a younger man I loved him until I realized he was one of the worst thing for us as black people, a washed up, hating ass nikka:yeshrug: