Haitian Appreciation Thread

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
THe Haitian creole has made major gains. Mostly thanks to Zouk and Kompa music. It wont be seen here in the U.S. since its' an english environment. I remember the first time i went to Paris i went in what looked like an all white restaurant. Then as we sat there chilling i heard haitian music blasting over the speakers. I go to Tabou concerts here in the U.S and the place was full of Panamanians and Columbians. Hell Haitians were the minority in that b!tch since most younger Haitians go for the newer bands

I definitely want to eventually learn Kreyol. It will be interesting to see what other creoles rise in prestige. you got Papiamento and Kreyol considered languages with Jamaican Patois rising in prestige. Also CVC and Seselwa in Africa

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Hey now, Haiti: young Haitians flip the script on Instagram

Most news about Haiti isn’t exactly the cheerful stuff of tourism brochures. But underneath the tiresome tales of suffering and misfortune lies a fascinating country of unutterable beauty, quirky charm and unexpected quaintness. Now, young Haitians — those who have never known a time when their country received good press —are turning to social media to showcase the happier, sexier side of their country.

haitimain.jpeg

dsc_0056-copy.jpg

dsc_0441-copy.jpg

dsc_0410-copy.jpg

dsc_0250-copy.jpg

dsc_0338-copy.jpg

dsc_0113.jpg

Daps
yeah, this aint the first and wont be the last. i know some old haitian that use to tell me about American propaganda about Haitians having AIDS in the 80's

Yeah they banned Haitians donating blood citing Haitians having AIDS there was a massive protest in Brooklyn behind that that forced them to lift the ban.

I_Got_Da_Burna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah they banned Haitians donating blood citing Haitians having AIDS there was a massive protest in Brooklyn behind that that forced them to lift the ban.

unfortunately, many haitians did have aids at that time.

then again, so did Americans.

Daps

It was an epidemic among minorities period. But they singled out haitians as if being haitian made you more prone to it. This was just one of the many forms of discrimination against haitians including denying political asylum when Haiti was going through dozens of coups

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon

yeah but missionaries from the west brought it there. the Haitian at the time was saying they brought it there but ppl wasn't listening or care. It was just another poor black nation with a epidemic going on.

it was to the point other black ppl believe that Haitians carried AIDS because America put that mindset there.

at that time american researchers/Centers for Disease Controls was saying Haitians, homosexual , drugs abuse/w needles were potential carriers .

Really Slick of them

Last edited:

I_Got_Da_Burna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was an epidemic among minorities period. But they singled out haitians as if being haitian made you more prone to it. This was just one of the many forms of discrimination against haitians including denying political asylum when Haiti was going through dozens of coups

I absolutely agree...they're was definitely a double-standard/hypocrisy during the late 80's/early 90's when it came to haitian refugees (and haitians in general). i don't disagree with you on that...american news media was doing a hit job on Haiti at the time, and I remember during that era many haitians denying that they were from there for that reason. hell, I had family who hid the fact they were haitian...they would claim Canada before haiti :comeon:

I_Got_Da_Burna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
On a side note, I will be in Ayiti in December around X-Mas/New Year...anyone else heading out there?

Daps
I absolutely agree...they're was definitely a double-standard/hypocrisy during the late 80's/early 90's when it came to haitian refugees (and haitians in general). i don't disagree with you on that...american news media was doing a hit job on Haiti at the time, and I remember during that era many haitians denying that they were from there for that reason. hell, I had family who hid the fact they were haitian...they would claim Canada before haiti :comeon:

Yea breh it was bad. That was the era nobody wanted to claim they were haitian.

From Hollywood with the voodoo zombie movies. To the aids thing to the banana boat refugees to them saying all haitians stink.

It's like it always was a concentrated effort to shyt on haitians