Guillermo Del Toro "Cabinet Of Curiosities" | NetFlix (Discussion Thread)

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Noggas really liked the mourning? Maybe its because ghost dont do it for me but that shyt was boring. I fell asleep n all
It’s dreadfully slow just like Kent’s other works but I thought it did a better job at tying its themes together at the end. Didn’t really mind the cliche tropes (and there were plenty) when the acting and directing was on point. I see why it closed out the season.

Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, the 305
I may need to watch Barabarian again cause after da first viewing, I felt indifferent.
We’ll let me be clear. I’ve seen plenty ppl say they didn’t enjoy it and it’s way more suspense tension building horror than full blown horror horror. But I enjoyed that. And I liked the originality of it. Movie received mostly high praise as well. I very much liked it.

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Felt so-so on ‘Pickman’s Model’ despite the very solid atmosphere it established. Think I was better off reading this one as the concept was pretty interesting, yet the visuals of the paintings and even the entity upon reveal didn’t do much for me in this adaptation.

‘Dreams in the Witch House’ was a slug to get through. Didn’t feel much of Lovecraft. The director for it hadn’t worked on anything horror-related prior to this and that felt evident all the way through.

Some of the imagery was crazy. Ben Barnes’ character staying awake in his dream as his neck is getting sawed into was some sick shyt. :picard:

Episode meandered mid-way but that ending was probably the most tense I felt the whole way through. What a tragic way to go out.

Most of these episodes so far have this tendency of presenting amazing creature designs for only a quick bit and then pulling them away to conclude their show-and-tell. Wish they’d dive into them more. Some eps would also be better suited to a half hour runtime, IMO. While saying that, I’m just glad it’s not an outright bad watch which I find myself often saying for most anthology series lately.

The joint I’m looking forward to the most is the one directed by Cosmatos. :wow:
Dreams in the Witch House has always been one of Lovecrafts weakest story. It wasn’t scary then it’s not scary now. I don’t know why Masters of Horror and this adapted it when there are far better lovecraft stories. At least they’d didn’t show a baby being killed like Masters of Horror :scusthov:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I watched eps 3 and 4.

"The Autopsy" was cool, I liked the ending. It wasn't the greatest shyt ever or anything but I was entertained.

Ep 4 "The Outside" was fukking trash. I dunno what the hell they were thinking with that nonsense. I kept waiting for them to pull it all together....and they never did.

I'm obviously no writer but at the end when she's staring at the camera, and things are going out of focus....it should've came back into focus with her in an asylum. And all her "co-workers" telling her how beautiful she is are the other inmates. And her skin was still fukked up and she still looked the same.

Like, she legit lost her mind and killed her husband for no reason.

Not saying that would be GOAT level writing or anything....but it would've been 100x better than what we got.

Fred.