Guillermo Del Toro "Cabinet Of Curiosities" | NetFlix (Discussion Thread)

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Oh man. Something tells me ‘The Autopsy’ may end up being my favorite episode when it’s all said and done. F. Murray Abraham and Glynn Turman are treasures.

The most fulfilling ending yet, IMO. Absolutely wild for the coroner to still be conscious inside his own body while being taken over. Straight up played chess. Dude out here side-talking to the alien entity on some “Now watch this.” ish. :banderas:

‘The Outside’ felt vastly different from the rest of the other episodes and could also fit in line with something from The Twilight Zone, but I still dug it.

As wild as the imagery was, it felt like both of these episodes had a Fargo feel to them. I wanna say it’s the framing of the camera in a lot of scenes, the detective spin in Ep. 3, and then the overall quirkiness of Micucci’s character in the next episode.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
The 2nd episode is based on "The Graveyard Rats" by Henry Kuttner.

The Lovecraft story you're referring to is probably "The Rats In The Walls", which came out 10 years before the Kuttner story.

Henry Kuttner also wrote stories in the Cthulhu Mythos, so he was most likely influenced by "The Rats In The Walls" too.

Fred.
I’m fukking heavily with the Lovecraft influences in this. The next two episodes that drop tomorrow are supposedly straight-up direct adaptations.:whoo:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I’m fukking heavily with the Lovecraft influences in this. The next two episodes that drop tomorrow are supposedly straight-up direct adaptations.:whoo:

Yeah, "The Dreams In The Witch House" and "Pickman's Model".

Fred.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Felt so-so on ‘Pickman’s Model’ despite the very solid atmosphere it established. Think I was better off reading this one as the concept was pretty interesting, yet the visuals of the paintings and even the entity upon reveal didn’t do much for me in this adaptation.

‘Dreams in the Witch House’ was a slug to get through. Didn’t feel much of Lovecraft. The director for it hadn’t worked on anything horror-related prior to this and that felt evident all the way through.

Some of the imagery was crazy. Ben Barnes’ character staying awake in his dream as his neck is getting sawed into was some sick shyt. :picard:

Episode meandered mid-way but that ending was probably the most tense I felt the whole way through. What a tragic way to go out.

Most of these episodes so far have this tendency of presenting amazing creature designs for only a quick bit and then pulling them away to conclude their show-and-tell. Wish they’d dive into them more. Some eps would also be better suited to a half hour runtime, IMO. While saying that, I’m just glad it’s not an outright bad watch which I find myself often saying for most anthology series lately.

The joint I’m looking forward to the most is the one directed by Cosmatos. :wow:

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People saying episode 3 is the best - they all standalone or what?
Every episode is standalone with a different director and cast. Really good so far
Felt so-so on ‘Pickman’s Model’ despite the very solid atmosphere it established. Think I was better off reading this one as the concept was pretty interesting, yet the visuals of the paintings and even the entity upon reveal didn’t do much for me in this adaptation.

‘Dreams in the Witch House’ was a slug to get through. Didn’t feel much of Lovecraft. The director for it hadn’t worked on anything horror-related prior to this and that felt evident all the way through.

Some of the imagery was crazy. Ben Barnes’ character staying awake in his dream as his neck is getting sawed into was some sick shyt. :picard:

Episode meandered mid-way but that ending was probably the most tense I felt the whole way through. What a tragic way to go out.

Most of these episodes so far have this tendency of presenting amazing creature designs for only a quick bit and then pulling them away to conclude their show-and-tell. Wish they’d dive into them more. Some eps would also be better suited to a half hour runtime, IMO. While saying that, I’m just glad it’s not an outright bad watch which I find myself often saying for most anthology series lately.

The joint I’m looking forward to the most is the one directed by Cosmatos. :wow:
oh shyt Panos has an episode?!?

Mandy is one of my favorite horror movies in recent memory

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
:francis:

Haven't seen an episode yet that I'm throwing in a Halloween rotation.

Maybe, "The Autopsy" but it didn't have a ton of meat on the bones to warrant repeat viewing.

Two episodes left.

Also a lot of terrible Boston accents, real ones are bad enough.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
They ended this season strong as fukk with those last two. :whoo:

Cosmatos laid the imagery out in a trippy ass way (as usual). ‘The Viewing’ felt like that hypnotic dream I find myself in and don’t want to ever end.
That is, until the unveiling of the Lovecraftian monster. :whoa:

Loved how it made its presence known in a grand way with the screentime it got.
Thought the story being such a slow burn made the climax feel more fulfilling. Fantastic episode.

I came out feeling better about Kent’s ‘The Murmuring’ than I did with Babadook. Acting from both Essie and Lincoln was impressive. Throughout the episode, I kept asking: “Does she know who she’s talking to?” -> “That’s Rick MF’IN Grimes.” :damn:

Having the protagonist battling their own maternal horrors in conjunction with the disturbing spirits tugged on my heartstrings. That aspect made me actually care about Nancy’s journey here.

And I normally shrug away ghosts in movies, but there was some genuinely creepy imagery in this. Felt like the Haunting of Hill House in that regard.

Looking forward to the talent the next season brings if it ends up getting renewed. Maybe folks like Peele and Bruckner can direct some episodes.

FishNGrits

Superstar
Daps
Oh man. Something tells me ‘The Autopsy’ may end up being my favorite episode when it’s all said and done. F. Murray Abraham and Glynn Turman are treasures.

The most fulfilling ending yet, IMO. Absolutely wild for the coroner to still be conscious inside his own body while being taken over. Straight up played chess. Dude out here side-talking to the alien entity on some “Now watch this.” ish. :banderas:

‘The Outside’ felt vastly different from the rest of the other episodes and could also fit in line with something from The Twilight Zone, but I still dug it.

As wild as the imagery was, it felt like both of these episodes had a Fargo feel to them. I wanna say it’s the framing of the camera in a lot of scenes, the detective spin in Ep. 3, and then the overall quirkiness of Micucci’s character in the next episode.
Just finished autopsy and that was amazing. My favorite so far!