Google Stadia (Official Thread)

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
A year is 12 months...brehp :russ:

And no the data concerns aren't fixed. 5G like 4G and 3G before it won't see mass level adoption for a couple years past its introduction and even then it WILL be capped. There's nothing that indicates that 5G will "solve" this issue. Because solving it would actively kneecap the revenue of any ISP. Why would they do that?
Wait, you guys stateside paying 120 a month for fibre?! :gucci: , no wonder you guys are hot!

As to your second point, 5g should 'theoretically' open up the the amount of players in the space. Think low-cost airlines vs legacy players (BA, Virgin)

Of course the USA with its hyper capitalism and virtual monopoly (Verizon (60% market share) might hinder all that

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Its not idiotic. Part of WHY you download a game is so in the event of your internet going down or (the more likely event) the server side of the service going down you can still play your games.

Part of why I love my Switch is playing on airplanes/in the Uber. Offline will ALWAYS have a use case....not every game needs online.
This is a streaming service there isn’t an offline. Why would anyone expect anything else? The hardware is all server side. If you don’t have a connection to it then you don’t play.

This is our future of gaming. Sony and Microsoft have their toes in game streaming too. From a corporate standpoint it gives them the most control of their product. All digital no used game sales and they get a piece of everything.

Gaming going this way is inevitable.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
This is a streaming service there isn’t an offline. Why would anyone expect anything else? The hardware is all server side. If you don’t have a connection to it then you don’t play.

This is our future of gaming. Sony and Microsoft have their toes in game streaming too. From a corporate standpoint it gives them the most control of their product. All digital no used game sales and they get a piece of everything.

Gaming going this way is inevitable.

I'm aware its a streaming service...what I'm saying is that people who want to play offline have a point. Its like when your phone has no service no wi-fi its basically a $900 brick in your pocket. The same is not so for your PS4, long as I have POWER I have my games.

Stadia (because of cross plat) is going to be a GREAT supplement to whatever it is you already have. If there's ANYONE who should be terrified its Steam. Those are the gamers that DO have the strong connections and will more readily adopt something like this.

And just to be clear I think the Stadia is an amazing idea and could change EVERYTHING with gaming. More so from the development side seeing as how now devs aren't limited by hardware.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm aware its a streaming service...what I'm saying is that people who want to play offline have a point. Its like when your phone has no service no wi-fi its basically a $900 brick in your pocket. The same is not so for your PS4, long as I have POWER I have my games.

Stadia (because of cross plat) is going to be a GREAT supplement to whatever it is you already have. If there's ANYONE who should be terrified its Steam. Those are the gamers that DO have the strong connections and will more readily adopt something like this.
I feel like this is going to cater to the folks who feel like streaming games are "good enough" e.g. they don't need to buy another box or whatever they can just use this anywhere. The hardcore PC gamer or console gamer won't be using this primarily as it goes against the very thing they bought the hardware for. As a compliment sure but main way of gaming? Nah.

SoSoSlick

Still gettin it!
Daps
Reppin
PG County
If this were an Amazon announcement I bet the tone of that email from Phil Spencer would have been a lot different given the behemoth that AWS has become.
Google is a fledgling in the cloud space compared to both AWS & Azure tho....

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Voice of reason here, let me school you geniuses :snoop:

You know how nobody uses 8-tracks or cassette tapes anymore?
Why use a console :dahell: oh, because you want to be offline?

Could I see your cellphone and computer please, I gotta toss them out for always being online :francis:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn

Could I see your cellphone and computer please, I gotta toss them out for always being online :francis:
:dwillhuh:I really don't understand what the fukk your point is.

Last edited:

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
Who the hell has network caps?? I have NEVER had a cap on my home internet. Cell phone yea. But people are really out here having caps on their home internet :scust:

With that said i still think we a couple years too early for a digital only system. Even though i personally haven't bought a physical disc since the wii u. On top of that there is no reason to get this. A extra couple hundred and u can just build a pc. Not like google has any exclusives.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
I'm looking at this and thinking that this service isn't for gamers but for publishers and developers. I could be wrong.

You can stream EA access account using the power of Google stadia. That's not true but potentially it is. Same could be said for any other publisher. Instead of paying a sizable fee to a Sony or Nintendo to publish a game, how about streaming your game on your own platform using via Google stadia for less of a percentage.

Just pie in the sky thinking.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
it will work for stuff like fortnite....the audience is definitely there now

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London

Without being online I can do various things with my phone.

Watching videos, listening to music, take photos, record video, use the calculator, pedometer, organise my diary, make notes and tell the time. And text and make phone calls. On 2G too