Good Times is one of the worst shows the black community ever had

Adebisi_Said

Truth is Power
Daps
Reppin
New York City
The point of the show was to display the actual mindset of people in that predicament, it was supposed to be frustrating to us Black people to watch people hold themselves back, the government hold them back and the community to hold them back. However, the rise to glory was taking too long for John Amos (James) so he quit (it was called a contract dispute, but it was really a like of progress for thr Evans family dispute). Esther Rolle (Florida) dislike the way they pushed JJ to the forefront with his buffoonery, she was initially the lead character in the show. She too was frustrated with the direction the show went, but she had to fulfill her contract. The producers of that show messed up the message that was supposed to be projected,,it was supposed to be a family struggling to the promise land of success, but JJ's character's unexpected stardom brought in bigger ratings....the power of the dollar people. So I'm partially sided with the TS, he's correct, but I enjoyed the show for what it was now that I know the deal.

Mind you it was a Black man, Mike Evans (Lionel, George's son from the Jeffersons) who wrote this show.

Mike Evans created the show (along with Eric Monte from Cooley High). He also did some writing for the show. But he and Monte quit after the second season because they didn't like the direction the show was going in.

David Letterman and Jay Leno also wrote for the show.

Adebisi_Said

Truth is Power
Daps
Reppin
New York City
And what opportunites did they pass up? Moving when james died? Moving when buddy boy broke his knee? What other legit opportunites did they pass up?

Cousin Raymond offered Florida $10,000 to move to a 3 bedroom condo on the North Side. But she turned it down because he was a gambler.

Adebisi_Said

Truth is Power
Daps
Reppin
New York City
:deadrose: shyt just got really real with that post lol

now that i think about George jefferson was the realist nikka from that time.
nikka stayed calln crackers honkey and not in the joking way, but we all laughed :heh:

That show went downhill when he and Tom Willis became buddies, IMO.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They almost made it out, until James died (was fired by the producer for arguing about JJ's buffoonery). Also, all their jobs were part-time and living in subsidized housing, your rent is adjusted by your household's gross income. Keep in mind, the show was only 5 seasons long and they weren't all employed until the last two seasons.

One more thing: The writers weren't Jews. The main writer was Mike Evans (Lionel from 'The Jeffersons').​
Ehhh I still think once Keith entered into the picture, they could have moved up. 5 part-time jobs are 2 full-time ones and a part-time.
Cousin Raymond offered Florida $10,000 to move to a 3 bedroom condo on the North Side. But she turned it down because he was a gambler.

fukking Florida!! I swear she just wanted to be the one to pull them out of poverty. Ol' proud ass.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
I agree with the OP. Nevertheless, I still enjoy the show but there is some major shucking and jiving on the show.

There were only a handful of 'Black' sitcoms to watch at that time, but NONE of them was as good as Good Times in it's portrayal of the 'Black' family.

That's My Momma
What's Happening
Sanford and Son
The Jeffersons

I watched 'em and laughed, but LIVED and understood Good Times.​

Sanford and Son >> all of those shows.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Rawtid said:
Ehhh I still think once Keith entered into the picture, they could have moved up. 5 part-time jobs are 2 full-time ones and a part-time.

They did 'move up'. I guess I'm the only one in this thread that remembers the series finalé: Keith got a contract with the Bears, JJ got a job as a comic book artist, Micheal went to college, Willona became some type of executive and moved into the same apartment complex that Keith and Thelma went to.​

Rawtid said:
fukking Florida!! I swear she just wanted to be the one to pull them out of poverty. Ol' proud ass.

She was right, though. Dude wasn't stable enough to keep helping them and Ionno about anyone else, but I'd rather not have to rely on someone else to support me....especially a gambling addict.

Adebisi_Said

Truth is Power
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Remember when Florida and James tried to get JJ's one man art show canceled. All because the "Godfather of the Ghetto" Sweet Daddy Williams was his sponsor.