Good Times is one of the worst shows the black community ever had

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Good times was a tv show about a family living in the projects
They did not want to be their but life kept them stuck in the projects.
The goal was always trying to get out of the hood.
You must not watch good times much. :wtf:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
There were only a handful of 'Black' sitcoms to watch at that time, but NONE of them was as good as Good Times in it's portrayal of the 'Black' family.

That's My Momma
What's Happening
Sanford and Son
The Jeffersons

I watched 'em and laughed, but LIVED and understood Good Times.​

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
There were only a handful of 'Black' sitcoms to watch at that time, but NONE of them was as good as Good Times in it's portrayal of the 'Black' family.

That's My Momma
What's Happening
Sanford and Son
The Jeffersons

I watched 'em and laughed, but LIVED and understood Good Times.​

They don't undersrand the fact that James was even on the show went aginst what they said about poor black familes.

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
The show was basically saying black folks should be happy to be poor and not care to improve their social status. Florida Evans character was all about staying in the projects in a terrible environment and every episode they gave more reasons to why living in sub-standard conditions were acceptable. I just saw an episode where their 17-18 year old daughter wanted to marry a dude who was struggling. James was pissed and wanted her to get her education and make a better life for herself but of course it ended with them accepting being in poverty and all siding against James.
its entertainment and they got paid

what tv needed then and now are tv shows, advocating a variety of black experiences and socio-economic backgrounds

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
The show was basically saying black folks should be happy to be poor and not care to improve their social status. Florida Evans character was all about staying in the projects in a terrible environment and every episode they gave more reasons to why living in sub-standard conditions were acceptable. I just saw an episode where their 17-18 year old daughter wanted to marry a dude who was struggling. James was pissed and wanted her to get her education and make a better life for herself but of course it ended with them accepting being in poverty and all siding against James.

most misleading title in show ever.
Florida wasn't even sexy or nothing :scusthov:

Daps
Reppin
St louis
the show is near and dear to my heart but then I see it as
entertainment.
you can tell that it was writin by jews who had
no damn idea what was going on with us in real life....
my favorite was none other than the goat.
mc90up.png

but let's be reality aint shyt fukkin with Sanford and son.

2j2eyxk.gif

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't understand how they were poor so damn long. I mean at one point it was 5 working adults in the household, they couldn't get together and move up in this world? I mean how much could the rent have been? They didn't have a car, clothes were modest...I mean WTF!

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
The point of the show was to display the actual mindset of people in that predicament, it was supposed to be frustrating to us Black people to watch people hold themselves back, the government hold them back and the community to hold them back. However, the rise to glory was taking too long for John Amos (James) so he quit (it was called a contract dispute, but it was really a like of progress for thr Evans family dispute). Esther Rolle (Florida) dislike the way they pushed JJ to the forefront with his buffoonery, she was initially the lead character in the show. She too was frustrated with the direction the show went, but she had to fulfill her contract. The producers of that show messed up the message that was supposed to be projected,,it was supposed to be a family struggling to the promise land of success, but JJ's character's unexpected stardom brought in bigger ratings....the power of the dollar people. So I'm partially sided with the TS, he's correct, but I enjoyed the show for what it was now that I know the deal.

Mind you it was a Black man, Mike Evans (Lionel, George's son from the Jeffersons) who wrote this show.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
Rawtid said:
I don't understand how they were poor so damn long. I mean at one point it was 5 working adults in the household, they couldn't get together and move up in this world? I mean how much could the rent have been? They didn't have a car, clothes were modest...I mean WTF!

They almost made it out, until James died (was fired by the producer for arguing about JJ's buffoonery). Also, all their jobs were part-time and living in subsidized housing, your rent is adjusted by your household's gross income. Keep in mind, the show was only 5 seasons long and they weren't all employed until the last two seasons.

One more thing: The writers weren't Jews. The main writer was Mike Evans (Lionel from 'The Jeffersons').​

concise

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, show was pathetic. Can't forget the episode where Florida didn't want James to take that job in Alaska, even when it was only a few months out of the year and the salary wouldve got them out of the projects :snoop:

I don't remember too many episodes of this show, but I remember this one well. :laugh:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
LezJepzin said:
Yeah, show was pathetic. Can't forget the episode where Florida didn't want James to take that job in Alaska, even when it was only a few months out of the year and the salary wouldve got them out of the projects :snoop:

Wrong. The job was for 1 year. Micheal was a teenager and had just gotten out of a gang. What man in his right mind would leave his family for a whole year in the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects of Chicago in the 70's?​