Gamers really don't understand how the videogame industry work

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm not assuming the worst about anything. I own a Series X, so I'd like XBox to do well. But we aren't about to shoot Microsoft bail on being opaque about shyt that we wouldn't for anyone else. There's no sales numbers because they don't sell games, and don't report any hardware sales themselves. Engagement numbers are hard to come by, because they only ever publish that info when they want to prop up a new release. Financial numbers are typically just handwaved away, and referred to in general terms, until their section of the quarterly financial call comes up.
They said Gamepass has more than 25 million subscribers and is profitable and growing. And makes up for 15% of their revenue.

Those aren’t just empty feel good statements. Those are actual measures that satisfy their investors. They don’t really need to impress a guy named @Legal on the coli.

The problem, as I see it, is that Microsoft treats XBox like their other divisions, in that they dole out information on their own time, because the services they offer don't require as steady a stream of information. But gaming, even when viewed as a service based slant, doesn't work the same way, as the end user is a little more actively engaged in the brand and its perception than their other products and services. You're never going to see someone going hard about Office365 vs GSuite, for example. This type of customer, and the media they serve them need a little more info at a steadier cadence.

Thread could be retitled "One of the World's Largest Companies Really Doesn't Understand How Gamers Work" :wow:
No one is thinking about how many consoles xbox sold or not but sony stans on the internet :mjlol:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They said Gamepass has more than 25 million subscribers and is profitable and growing. And makes up for 15% of their revenue.

Those aren’t just empty feel good statements. Those are actual measures that satisfy their investors. They don’t really need to impress a guy named @Legal on the coli.

No one is thinking about how many consoles xbox sold or not but sony stans on the internet :mjlol:

Not really.

They can make vague statements like that as a division of a much larger company. They get a lot of shielding from the fact that the majority of investors didn't make their choice to invest in Microsoft or not based on XBox. In reality, if they were their own standalone business, declining to follow up statements about number of subscribers with even basic metrics like ARPU, or a mixdown of who's paying for what tier, or even discussing how many subscribers are actually paying full price.

It also sticks out as odd that the 25 million number is from a year ago. I'm assuming someone somewhere would like an update on where they stand. The most recent number is Sony, of all companies, saying that they have the number at 29 million.

Again, I don't think anyone is actually assuming that XBox is necessarily failing by any means, it's just weird to see a rather successful company be so hesitant to explain how or why they're successful. One really shouldn't have to dig through a statement full of corporate speak to get an idea of what's going on with them.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps

:ufdup:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not really.

They can make vague statements like that as a division of a much larger company. They get a lot of shielding from the fact that the majority of investors didn't make their choice to invest in Microsoft or not based on XBox. In reality, if they were their own standalone business, declining to follow up statements about number of subscribers with even basic metrics like ARPU, or a mixdown of who's paying for what tier, or even discussing how many subscribers are actually paying full price.

It also sticks out as odd that the 25 million number is from a year ago. I'm assuming someone somewhere would like an update on where they stand. The most recent number is Sony, of all companies, saying that they have the number at 29 million.

Again, I don't think anyone is actually assuming that XBox is necessarily failing by any means, it's just weird to see a rather successful company be so hesitant to explain how or why they're successful. One really shouldn't have to dig through a statement full of corporate speak to get an idea of what's going on with them.
Those are not vauge statements.

You are in denial due to console stannary.

No one is “concerned” about xbox success but you weirdo sony stans.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those are not vauge statements.

You are in denial due to console stannary.

No one is “concerned” about xbox success but you weirdo sony stans.

Again, no one is concerned, they just want more info.

You're in denial either due to console stannery, or not understanding how financials work for investors. Feel free to pick one. You seem smart enough that it can't be both.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Again, no one is concerned, they just want more info.

You're in denial either due to console stannery, or not understanding how financials work for investors. Feel free to pick one. You seem smart enough that it can't be both.
Investors are satisfied by the way microsoft talks about their financials. The don’t really give specific sales of much of anything.

It’s all about users and engagement because all of their businesses are connected. They sell cloud use to sony does that count as xbox/gaming revenue or just cloud stuff? There’s no point in trying to parse any of that out individually. Investors don’t give a fukk.

You guys just want console sales numbers so you can compare to sony, but they are running a very different business than sony, so they are gonna talk about their business differently.

They don’t even make profit off console sales, investors don’t wanna know how many of them shyts they sale, they wanna know how many people are giving xbox money every month.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That what Microsoft is currently doing isn’t successful or sustainable and they will eventually restructure their current business model
By what metric breh?

The subscription model is not meant to make profits up front it's a LONG game. It's also pretty safe because of the consistency, you on average know where you are going to fall annually.

What MS will do is raise prices on gamepass, as well as offer more tiers like playstation does and or packages like family plans.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Thread was to inform sony stans on this forum. Since y’all care so much and claim microsoft doesn’t talk about it. Then when they do talk about it you pretend you don’t see it.

So which is it?

Is xbox breaking revenue records and growing gamepass or naw?? :mjpls:
No idea, enlighten us. You're the one that posted Console stats (not gamepass) when Xbox was supposedly winning.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No idea, enlighten us. You're the one that posted Console stats (not gamepass) when Xbox was supposedly winning.
This thread is about gamepass.

That thread was about console sales.

In both threads microsoft was talking about success in their current xbox business model.

In both threads y’all were in denial and making up your own stories. :manny:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This thread is about gamepass.

That thread was about console sales.

In both threads microsoft was talking about success in their current xbox business model.

In both threads y’all were in denial and making up your own stories. :manny:
No, you said only "Sony stans" care about console sales, but you have a whole ass topic about console sales that was created less than a year ago.

To me it sounds like you like to use certain metrics when your team is "winning", but when the tables turn. Nah, those previous metrics don't matter.

Who's the true stan?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No, you said only "Sony stans" care about console sales, but you have a whole ass topic about console sales that was created less than a year ago.
Umm who am i talking to on here? Who ran into that thread feverishly posting about it? Do you know how conversations work?:usure:
To me it sounds like you like to use certain metrics when your team is "winning", but when the tables turn. Nah, those previous metrics don't matter.

Who's the true stan?

Again. This thread is about gamepass.

You guys said gamepass was losing money and failing and that microsoft wasn’t talking about it.

I posted a link to prove all that wrong. Then you pivoted to talking about console sales. Why would i come in a thread about gamepass and talk about console sales. :dahell:

Once you figured out the original sony stan sentiment was wrong you pivoted to some whole other shyt.

It happens in every thread. Don’t matter the topic we are gonna end up hearing about how sony sells more consoles and has better exclusives. Y’all nikkas crazy :mjlol:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Umm who am i talking to on here? Who ran into that thread feverishly posting about it? Do you know how conversations work?:usure:

Again. This thread is about gamepass.

You guys said gamepass was losing money and failing and that microsoft wasn’t talking about it.

I posted a link to prove all that wrong. Then you pivoted to talking about console sales. Why would i come in a thread about gamepass and talk about console sales. :dahell:

Once you figured out the original sony stan sentiment was wrong you pivoted to some whole other shyt.

It happens in every thread. Don’t matter the topic we are gonna end up hearing about how sony sells more consoles and has better exclusives. Y’all nikkas crazy :mjlol:
If you can find any post where I said gamepass was failing and losing money feel free to post it.

You said only sony stans care about sales, yet you made a topic on console sales.

In either case, how you an xbox stan, but don't care about console sales? @PS5 would be ashamed of you

:childplease:

And in regard to the portion I bolded. is it true or not?

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Investors are satisfied by the way microsoft talks about their financials. The don’t really give specific sales of much of anything.

It’s all about users and engagement because all of their businesses are connected. They sell cloud use to sony does that count as xbox/gaming revenue or just cloud stuff? There’s no point in trying to parse any of that out individually. Investors don’t give a fukk.

You guys just want console sales numbers so you can compare to sony, but they are running a very different business than sony, so they are gonna talk about their business differently.

They don’t even make profit off console sales, investors don’t wanna know how many of them shyts they sale, they wanna know how many people are giving xbox money every month.

Bruh, you're just reiterating what I said earlier. Investors are invested in Microsoft, not XBox, so they have plenty of shielding to not be required to give a ton of specifics about the business at the moment, so they're not giving it.

The problem is that they're not competing in a vacuum. When their competitors in the gaming field are up front with their info for better or worse, it makes people wonder why Microsoft isn't more forthcoming with info. Since this Gamepass experiment is working for them, why not share the numbers that show why and how? It'd shut up a lot of people who fall back on Sony's numbers when they want to troll.