Former Sony exclusive MLB The Show 21 is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It could technically happen with HZD and Days Gone on PC since sony didn’t publish them on there.

I doubt the publishers would want to stir up a storm with sony with that though. The only reason this happened with MLB is because they have leverage over them and are publishing it themselves.

To me, unless sony is making a considerable amount of money out of this deal it doesn’t even make sense for them to continue developing MLB games. Just give it to EA

Of course they are making some nice bread off of this. They're getting additional revenue from the game they never would have gotten.

And nothing else was stopping EA or Take 2 from making a sim of their own. The deal that blocked EA from making a baseball game was 3rd party exclusivity by 2K after EA fukked them over with the Madden NFL deal.

First party cats and arcade baseball games were always fair games for anyone else to make.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It doesn't matter because just like all Gamepass games users will get discounted prices to purchase and it will be cheaper than Sony.

and you been to the future to know this? :skip:

all games, esp sports games, go down in price after a few months. This ain't new.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
MLB publishing it themself for Xbox is "interesting" and how this happened.

But this threat of losing the license if they didn't agree to the deal is :mjlol: as you would say.

no one else was making a baseball game worth a damn. Both EA and 2K said :hubie:

And MLB knows the premier MLB game over the past decade has been the Show.

Like I said Day 1 when it was announced, I actually don't mind the deal. Wondering how it got on GP day 1 did have me :patrice: until I saw MLB is publishing it for Xbox, so MS paid them for it. Sony still gets their money and royalties from MS too.

The real question for me is....how long does it stay on GP. Do they pull the rug up from under GP users having it up only a few months? That's what I'm interested in.
You think Sony put it on Xbox out of the kindness in their heart??

:mjlol:

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Of course not. But they surely made sure they got something out of the deal.

The only thing they are getting is so change off the people who don't use gamepass. Microsoft made the deal with MLB. The contract was signed last year to produce for Xbox but MLB owns the product and is the PUBLISHER. Sort of like not owning your masters even though you created all the work.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The only thing they are getting is so change off the people who don't use gamepass. Microsoft made the deal with MLB. The contract was signed last year to produce for Xbox but MLB owns the product and is the PUBLISHER. Sort of like not owning your masters even though you created all the work.

Keep believing that.

They had the ability to create their own game if they felt like it. You come to me to use my game and publish it on another platform? Sure, but what do I get out of it. The details will leak eventually but you are nuts if you don't think that Sony got something out of the deal other than just physical copy sales revenue :mjlol:

MLB does not own the property of MLB The Show. They own the license to the teams and the MLBPA the players.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
MLB is listed as the publisher on the game's Xbox page

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
They are developing the game. They will obviously get paid for that :ehh:

Indeed. And I'm sure they knew they are getting something out of it being on GP day 1. Even if MS paid MLB directly, that figure to even allow it to be published on other platforms got Sony some extra bread as well.

It's not some rocket science shyt. Even something at minimum like a discount on the license revenue in addition to the normal cut they were getting as developers on the game may have been enough. These suits don't just sit on their ass doing nothing all the time. They crunch the numbers to make sense.

I do hope though that it ISN'T some one or 2 month shyt because if you start a cross plat franchise and lose xbox cats because it's not on GP no more, then that is foul as fukk.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Keep believing that.

They had the ability to create their own game if they felt like it. You come to me to use my game and publish it on another platform? Sure, but what do I get out of it. The details will leak eventually but you are nuts if you don't think that Sony got something out of the deal other than just physical copy sales revenue :mjlol:

MLB does not own the property of MLB The Show. They own the license to the teams and the MLBPA the players.

Bro Sony didn't get anything I bet. They are getting the proceeds by game sales. MLB is the publisher for the Xbox version. I am pretty sure Phil Spencer found a loophole. I won't be surprised Sony keep that shyt exclusive from now on lol.