Former Sony exclusive MLB The Show 21 is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Indeed. And I'm sure they knew they are getting something out of it being on GP day 1. Even if MS paid MLB directly, that figure to even allow it to be published on other platforms got Sony some extra bread as well.

It's not some rocket science shyt. Even something at minimum like a discount on the license revenue in addition to the normal cut they were getting as developers on the game may have been enough. These suits don't just sit on their ass doing nothing all the time. They crunch the numbers to make sense.

I do hope though that it ISN'T some one or 2 month shyt because if you start a cross plat franchise and lose xbox cats because it's not on GP no more, then that is foul as fukk.
Sony stans :mjlol:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Bro Sony didn't get anything I bet. They are getting the proceeds by game sales. MLB is the publisher for the Xbox version. I am pretty sure Phil Spencer found a loophole. I won't be surprised Sony keep that shyt exclusive from now on lol.

That's not how it works sir. A publisher is basically a distributor who pays for the rights to distribute shyt.

For example,
When movies go overseas, many times the development studio here in the US (WB, Paramount, Lionsgate, Etc) does not distribute the movie in overseas markets. They draw up deals with others who pay to distribute in other territories. When I went to Egypt 2 years ago, I logged into Netflix and watched the new Shaft movie. Was like :mjgrin: that it was on Netflix. Didn't finish the movie there, but when I got back home I thought I'd be able to finish it.

NOPE.

Netflix paid for the rights to distribute the movie in Egypt and other countries.

Sony publishes most of their games in all territories, not all sometimes. But publishers do have to pay to distribute unless their own the dev studio or IP.

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
I refuse to believe that Sony knew this shyt was going to happen. They can't do shyt about it but I doubt very highly that they knew about it

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
I'm a Sony user but not a stan...

This is getting ugly between Nintendo pushing their shyt in causing them to close Sony Japan and losing the handheld market in Asia and Microsoft having many of the big third party titles on Gamepass. Now add that scalpers are still keeping the PS5 hard to obtain while not necessarily needing an X-Box
to play old & new releases.

Releasing God of War will not fix all of this.

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
I'm a Sony user but not a stan...

This is getting ugly between Nintendo pushing their shyt in causing them to close Sony Japan and losing the handheld market in Asia and Microsoft having many of the big third party titles on Gamepass. Now add that scalpers are still keeping the PS5 hard to obtain while not necessarily needing an X-Box
to play old & new releases.

Releasing God of War will not fix all of this.

:mjlol:

Stop feeding into online forum hysteria.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Indeed. And I'm sure they knew they are getting something out of it being on GP day 1. Even if MS paid MLB directly, that figure to even allow it to be published on other platforms got Sony some extra bread as well.

It's not some rocket science shyt. Even something at minimum like a discount on the license revenue in addition to the normal cut they were getting as developers on the game may have been enough. These suits don't just sit on their ass doing nothing all the time. They crunch the numbers to make sense.

I do hope though that it ISN'T some one or 2 month shyt because if you start a cross plat franchise and lose xbox cats because it's not on GP no more, then that is foul as fukk.
But think about it,

Assuming you're correct, that would mean Sony, the main competitor, believe that the deal is so lucrative that they'd be willing to make a move like putting an exclusive game on Xbox gamepass.

This move creates a great look for Xbox.

That must mean these deals are lucrative for third party developers.

This is basically Burger King allowing Mcdonald's to sell whoppers

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
But think about it,

Assuming you're correct, that would mean Sony, the main competitor, believe that the deal is so lucrative that they'd be willing to make a move like putting an exclusive game on Xbox gamepass.

This move creates a great look for Xbox.

That must mean these deals are lucrative for third party developers.

Not really. More mlb asking Sony to throw MS a bone to broaden and increase brand to the youth. Especially since MS chose not to make an mlb game of their own

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.

False. This is basically Bruger King telling McDonald's that they can sell Whoppers and McDonald's then turning around a giving them away for free. Burger King looses a gang of cash.

I may be wrong but to me I think this is how it worked out.

MLB went to Sony during renegotiations and flat out said "we need this game on both platforms or we will not be renewing".

Sony said "we have little choice and it will bring us some more money selling on XBOX so ok".

Sony agrees and then PAYS MLB for the exclusive license and is most likely thinking "MLB 2022 will be our best selling year ever".

MLB and Microsoft desides that they should just go ahead and put the game on Gamepass so the game can reach the the most people the fastest and CHEAPEST way it can.

Microsoft is happy because they have an exclusive SONY title that they had to pay NOTHING for and all of their sports playing consumers are happy.

MLB is happy because they got a bag from Sony for the exclusive right, most likely a bag from Microsoft for making this happen and whole new side of gamers playing their game again.

Sony on the other hand got raped in the deal because they listened to MLB and did everything they needed to do just to have their product being given away for free on their rivals system while they're charging their customers full price for the game.

Thus is some of the worst business practice i have ever seen in my life. With this game being given away for the free it just destroyed any hopes of every seeing an exclusive title on cross platform ever again and could very well be the beginning of the end for MLB Baseball because if Sony didn't receive a bag (which I'm sure they didn't) what happens when it's time to renegotiate?

Sony is not about to renew their license if they have to give Microsoft the game and they are allowed to just give it away for free. At that point all baseball fans are stuck with R.B.I. :snoop:

This is truly some foul business management.