Former Sony exclusive MLB The Show 21 is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t understand Sony’s move here.

Seems like a self-inflicted L.

Unless of Xbox can force games to be on Gamepass???

Really curious to know how this went down…

a) how much did MS pay to get this on game pass?

b) how long will it stay on game pass?

idk the answers to those but I’d bet the answers would help to understand sony’s motivation

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
MLB has final publishing rights.

This deal probably didn’t even involve Sony.
Ahhhh…interesting. I knew MLB forced them to make the Xbox version. Didn’t know that extended to specific publishing/licensing agreements. Would be interesting to see how it actually played out. Because it makes no sense for Sony to voluntarily allow this on GP.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
oh wow didn’t know this...crazy if sony had NO input in this
Not sure that it’s “no” input but MLB basically told them make the game multiplat or lose the license. The game is being published directly by the MLB on Xbox.

Just my speculation that Microsoft secured this deal without talking much to Sony at all :manny:

Other than sending them dev kits :wow:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
if this is primarily the MLB’s doing and not sony deciding to “play nice” then there is no significant chance of this happening with other exclusives that aren’t based on licensing

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Not sure that it’s “no” input but MLB basically told them make the game multiplat or lose the license. The game is being published directly by the MLB on Xbox.

Just my speculation that Microsoft secured this deal without talking much to Sony at all :manny:

Other than sending them dev kits :wow:

MLB publishing it themself for Xbox is "interesting" and how this happened.

But this threat of losing the license if they didn't agree to the deal is :mjlol: as you would say.

no one else was making a baseball game worth a damn. Both EA and 2K said :hubie:

And MLB knows the premier MLB game over the past decade has been the Show.

Like I said Day 1 when it was announced, I actually don't mind the deal. Wondering how it got on GP day 1 did have me :patrice: until I saw MLB is publishing it for Xbox, so MS paid them for it. Sony still gets their money and royalties from MS too.

The real question for me is....how long does it stay on GP. Do they pull the rug up from under GP users having it up only a few months? That's what I'm interested in.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
if this is primarily the MLB’s doing and not sony deciding to “play nice” then there is no significant chance of this happening with other exclusives that aren’t based on licensing

It could technically happen with HZD and Days Gone on PC since sony didn’t publish them on there.

I doubt the publishers would want to stir up a storm with sony with that though. The only reason this happened with MLB is because they have leverage over them and are publishing it themselves.

To me, unless sony is making a considerable amount of money out of this deal it doesn’t even make sense for them to continue developing MLB games. Just give it to EA

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
MS: Oh hey we’ll give you $50 million to put it on Gamepass.

MLB: :ehh:Well shyt, give us the money then…:shaq:

MLB don’t have a dog in this console fight.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The real question for me is....how long does it stay on GP. Do they pull the rug up from under GP users having it up only a few months? That's what I'm interested in.

same...I’m hesitant to play this or 2k on game pass cuz it takes a long ass time to play a full season and I don’t know how long game pass will host these games even tho they give you a month’s notice in advance that they’re removing them

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)

It doesn't matter because just like all Gamepass games users will get discounted prices to purchase and it will be cheaper than Sony.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I doubt the publishers would want to stir up a storm with sony with that though. The only reason this happened with MLB is because they have leverage over them and are publishing it themselves.

sooo in other words, what I said :dwillhuh: