Former Sony exclusive MLB The Show 21 is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
False. This is basically Bruger King telling McDonald's that they can sell Whoppers and McDonald's then turning around a giving them away for free. Burger King looses a gang of cash.

I may be wrong but to me I think this is how it worked out.

MLB went to Sony during renegotiations and flat out said "we need this game on both platforms or we will not be renewing".

Sony said "we have little choice and it will bring us some more money selling on XBOX so ok".

Sony agrees and then PAYS MLB for the exclusive license and is most likely thinking "MLB 2022 will be our best selling year ever".

MLB and Microsoft desides that they should just go ahead and put the game on Gamepass so the game can reach the the most people the fastest and CHEAPEST way it can.

Microsoft is happy because they have an exclusive SONY title that they had to pay NOTHING for and all of their sports playing consumers are happy.

MLB is happy because they got a bag from Sony for the exclusive right, most likely a bag from Microsoft for making this happen and whole new side of gamers playing their game again.

Sony on the other hand got raped in the deal because they listened to MLB and did everything they needed to do just to have their product being given away for free on their rivals system while they're charging their customers full price for the game.

Thus is some of the worst business practice i have ever seen in my life. With this game being given away for the free it just destroyed any hopes of every seeing an exclusive title on cross platform ever again and could very well be the beginning of the end for MLB Baseball because if Sony didn't receive a bag (which I'm sure they didn't) what happens when it's time to renegotiate?

Sony is not about to renew their license if they have to give Microsoft the game and they are allowed to just give it away for free. At that point all baseball fans are stuck with R.B.I. :snoop:

This is truly some foul business management.

Like @goatmane said below your post this is a multi year deal, and has been in the works for a while. Sony isn't getting an exclusive licence from the MLB. MLB has been about brand expansion for a while now and having their product on one system goes against their corporate goals

There's nothing Sony could do about this, tbh.

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
Like @goatmane said below your post this is a multi year deal, and has been in the works for a while. Sony isn't getting an exclusive licence from the MLB. MLB has been about brand expansion for a while now and having their product on one system goes against their corporate goals

There's nothing Sony could do about this, tbh.

All of that is understood but I'm pretty sure that Sony didn't know about the game being given out for FREE. They don't even give it out for free until after the allstar game. This would be like XBOX saying "ok we will give you a version of Gear Of War for your system" and then Sony putting that hoe as one of the free games the day they get it :stopitslime:

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
All of that is understood but I'm pretty sure that Sony didn't know about the game being given out for FREE. They don't even give it out for free until after the allstar game. This would be like XBOX saying "ok we will give you a version of Gear Of War for your system" and then Sony putting that hoe as one of the free games the day they get it :stopitslime:

I mean it's not free...they're getting a cut of the gamepass subscriptions I believe

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This happens to devs all the time. The dev usually doesn’t get much say in how a game is released. That’s up to the publisher. The devs job is just to make the game. The optics don’t look great based on console wars. But nobody got taken advantage of. I’m sure Sony got paid for their dev work for the Xbox version and will probably get some bonuses based off sales or player base on Xbox.

Daps
Nah, they'll still do it.

For a lot of the interested playerbase, the situation is either:

Pay the $70

Pay $300-500 for an XBox, assuming they can get their hands on it.

I think we sometimes overestimate how many of us have, want, and truthfully, can afford both systems. :yeshrug:

True...people stan so hard for one system or the other. If you can afford both, get both. Each one has something to offer.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
True...people stan so hard for one system or the other. If you can afford both, get both. Each one has something to offer.

Hey since you got the S and the X can you let me know how they compare? I got the X n almost pulled the trigger on gettin an S as a travel box/for another room, but it seemed real light on the specs. Would like to hear from somebody that got both.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
People are clearly delusional to think sony is going to develop a game year after year and not get the better end of the splits on it.

They could easily go to war with MLB if it was a “double cross”, they could either take them to court to break the contract or they could just sabotage the game, or stop putting out dlc and support for the other consoles.

The leverage is in Sony’s hands, they aren’t pawns of the MLB lol

If sony stops making “The Show” there is no other MLB game to take it’s place and thats hurts the MLB more than it hurts sony.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Hey since you got the S and the X can you let me know how they compare? I got the X n almost pulled the trigger on gettin an S as a travel box/for another room, but it seemed real light on the specs. Would like to hear from somebody that got both.
S is great for a secondary/travel box.

It has all the same features as the X. So fast loading, smart delivery etc are in. Only few games to my knowledge run at 30fps while X is at 60. Most run at the same spec minus the 4k. Most TVs in hotel’s etc aren’t 4k anyway:manny:

Im impressed with it for its price. Glad I picked it up:ehh:

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
People are clearly delusional to think sony is going to develop a game year after year and not get the better end of the splits on it.

They could easily go to war with MLB if it was a “double cross”, they could either take them to court to break the contract or they could just sabotage the game, or stop putting out dlc and support for the other consoles.

The leverage is in Sony’s hands, they aren’t pawns of the MLB lol

If sony stops making “The Show” there is no other MLB game to take it’s place and thats hurts the MLB more than it hurts sony.

‘if Sony stop making the show then Microsoft 2K etc.. will get those developers

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
‘if Sony stop making the show then Microsoft 2K etc.. will get those developers

They could have been done that, they didn’t need to wait for years for this deal to happen.

If it were so easy for MS studios to make a baseball game as good as The Show it would have happened.

Just like how other devs think they can make a basketball game that can challenge 2k. They even tried to bring back Live and it bombed.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
They could have been done that, they didn’t need to wait for years for this deal to happen.

If it were so easy for MS studios to make a baseball game as good as The Show it would have happened.

Just like how other devs think they can make a basketball game that can challenge 2k. They even tried to bring back Live and it bombed.

At the time it wasn’t feasible... Sony spending out of their budget to make a Baseball game. Microsoft is out of the sports genre EA didn’t want to divert resources and 2K couldn’t. If MLB is successful this year with game pass and being multiplat best believe you will see others follow. Sony has to be careful what their next step will be in regards to future titles and losing developers.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
At the time it wasn’t feasible... Sony spending out of their budget to make a Baseball game. Microsoft is out of the sports genre EA didn’t want to divert resources and 2K couldn’t. If MLB is successful this year with game pass and being multiplat best believe you will see others follow. Sony has to be careful what their next step will be in regards to future titles and losing developers.

This doesn’t make sense, if anything they had more of a shot of creating a popular baseball game with The Show locked to one platform. Now they are suddenly gonna pick up after years of The Show getting record high sales and building a brand around it?

They will have a rough road ahead of them if Sony decides they don’t want to make The Show anymore. This speaks to the strength of Sony’s internal studios talent, the same thing that applies to God of War applies to the baseball game.

It can’t be easily replicated.