Former IGN Playstation Stans finally come to terms that currently the Series X is superior to PS5

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
From what I'm seeing here, it seems like everyone puts a different emphasis on what makes a console launch or console in general "worth it."

Some subscribe to a game having to achieve huge commercial success whilst others then make the criteria even more strict by saying it must be a next-gen exclusive simultaneously. Imo it's semantics because what makes something "worth it" is always subjective and can never be truly objective.

Cats like @The Mad Titan I'm sure have argued in favor of Xbox Series X being worth it solely due to optimizations that are free due to the hardware jump. Others cite Gamepass+said hardware boosts as reasons why it's worth it. I know BC boosts alone have been the crux of many arguments I've seen on here.

When you frame it like that then it's easy to pick off reasons why PS5 isn't worth buying and to me, that's a bit trivial. You can whittle off excuses for why say Returnal, Ratchet, Kena, and others aren't worthy of a PS5 purchase because it doesn't meet that narrow criterion. I'm sure Ratchet being a platformer, not a MP game and $70 will be a point mentioned for why it's not worthy of a purchase.

For me, a PS5 was worth it because it was a better PS4.

• Extremely quiet compared to the Airbus that was taking off at Laguardia airport.
  • BC with PS4 games so none of my current game progres is impacted and some games were enhanced.
  • Newness factor. New controller with haptics was(still) a cool feature to finally try.
  • Scarce supply meaning it'd be a hassle trying to secure one later when you finally do want one.

I don't care if at launch not many games were BRAND NEW because I would've still been playing older games for a while until the library builds up. Most people do. Compared to PS3>PS4, PS4 had its library effectively squandered by not having BC so you were stuck with a lack of launch titles without any way to play the current games of that time without pulling out the PS3. PS4's launch was straight up :trash: compared to the PS5 or Series X.

I mean we live in the day and age where nikkas buy new phones every year and at least pay a deposit to get something that's barely different from last year's model.

If you bought a PS4 in 2013 or Pro in 2016, I can't see why 4 years later or even 5 years later buying the new-gen console being so complicated.

There's never going to be a straight answer that satisfies everyone. Some may be fine with a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X for the time being and the current state of the PS5/S X may not compel them to upgrade. Fine. To me saying anyone who doesn't see it that way is just some silly stan who doesn't know better is stupid.

I very well knew that PS5 would be dry for a while and it was definitely from say Dec~now. Since Returnal dropped and Ratchet/FFVIIR Integrade coming out next month, I'd say the PS5 is starting to slowly earn its keep. Again this may not satisfy everyone and that's fine. It doesn't have to.

Last edited:

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
When you frame it like that then it's easy to pick off reasons why PS5 isn't worth buying and to me that's a bit trivial. You can whittle off excuses for why say Returnal, Ratchet, Kena and others aren't worthy of a PS5 purchase because it doesn't meet that narrow criterion.

It’s not about those games not being “Worthy”, all of those are good/look good, but they are absolutely the beginning to what Sony has in store, and that is largely by design. My initial point before being interrupted by a Stanley, was that the Series’ nor the 5 have given a definitive software reason to jump to next gen, and they’re not supposed to this early in the game. This is normal console cycle shyt, and Justin Davis’ tweet makes no sense being as though he’s in the Industry, and should know the game.

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
Both consoles got NO GAMES :yeshrug:
that changes real soon for sony...once those heavy hitters drop...Xbox finna get smoked again....console sales wise they already are...nikkas just being delousional...until all those games from the sh!tload of studios Microsoft just brought start dropping (and they have to be great) they wont be makin any real noise

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Both consoles got NO GAMES :yeshrug:
If I didn't use the proceeds from selling consoles to fund my purchases I wouldn't have either because neither of theses things have any games that demand I purchase today. It's been many months since I played either console and even when I did it was previous generation titles.

I was gonna get Returnal but I'll wait a while see if they patch better features into it and if I can get it on sale since I skipped day 1. The new Ratchet and Clank will be my first new generation game.

Both of these could have been delayed 6 months to a year and probably been better experiences for it. The install bases are so constrained right now many publishers aren't gonna wanna do more than cross generation ports on them.

I can't believe people was paying $800-$900 for these things.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
These are your problems right here. I’m not arguing in favor of Xbox, my nikka.
I’m speaking on console launches in general.
If Microsoft dropped a Combat Evolved remake you would not be on this same shyt
Demon’s Souls will not be looked at as a flagship title at the end of the PS5’s life.
If we keeping it g-real, this is actually one of the best launches in a minute. Me personally, I don't give a fukk about spiderman, ratchet and none of them other games. But the option to play quality shyt like them is something that hasn't been there.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
nikkas aint cared about ratchet for 20 years but now somehow Ratchet 15 is the one worthy of buying a whole console to play

Sony stans a wild bunch :mjlol:
I've been struggling to find a reason that shyt still exists since it's announcement. Sly cooper, dead. Jak and daxter, dead. But this shyt still getting new games. None of them shyts is must haves, shyt ain't moved units since ps2. Insomniac just playing safe.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As of 2013, the Ratchet series has sold 26 million units combined, 2 million units less than the Uncharted series.
The PS4 title broke franchise records so if I were to guess, it's sold at least 3~4 million units since.
It's in the top 3 best selling Playstation franchises. You dudes are incorrect.

Sony PlayStation Franchise Ratchet And Clank Goes Hollywood With 3D Feature Film
Independent game developer Insomniac Games has sold over 26 million copies of its Ratchet & Clank games over the years as an exclusive franchise for Sony’s PlayStation platforms.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
As of 2013, the Ratchet series has sold 26 million units combined, 2 million units less than the Uncharted series.
The PS4 title broke franchise records so if I were to guess, it's sold at least 3~4 million units since.
It’s got 17 games in 20 years breh. And it’s still well behind franchises that have only had two or three installments.

Stop it. Ratchet only became popular with you clowns when it became marketing material for PS5.

And :dead: at you downplaying Uncharted sales to prop up ratchet.

Uncharted at 43 mill with 4 games. And y’all trying to put ratchet in the same space.

Sony stans :mjlol:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal

Sony PlayStation Franchise Ratchet And Clank Goes Hollywood With 3D Feature Film
Being that it's one of the longest running PlayStation series, it should be.

I looked up the numbers not too long ago in comparison to the resistance series. They weren't doing big numbers after ps2, the ps4 one sold decent though. The last resistance flopped but the first 2 sold better than the ratchet games.