Fire Emblem: Three Houses | Switch | Out Now

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm about to beat Golden Deer and I thing I'll be done with this game after that. Playing the Black Eagle alternative route and Golden Deer have shown me the vast majority of the story. I've got about 96 hours into the game. First playthrough took about 60 and with the second due to new game plus features I cut it in half. There's too much of this game that repeats itself between paths though. Most of part 1 is the same regardless of what house you choose.

I will say this though, I found my time with this game to be more enjoyable than say Persona 5 of which I spend a bit more than 100 hours playing. Got burned out on Persona 5 as I was playing it. I'm not really burned out on this but I'm also not trying to play through part 1 again for the third time.

The makers of this game succeeded in what they set out to be but part of the makeup of the game also hurts it. By that I mean (if you've started part II this probably isn't a spoiler but I'll hide it anyway)
most of the cast of the game are inconsequential to it. this is in part because anybody can die. You become an instructor to these kids and bond with them then possibly have to kill them in the future war and it's kinda emotional to have to do that but at the same time most of the kids exist in a bubble completely isolated from the main plot. the people that you recruit from other houses don't appear in the cut scenes you talk to them around the monastery and do their supports and that's it. they're divorced from the rest of the game. in one path in part 2 I only saw most of the other cast members when they randomly popped up on the battlefield shortly to be defeated and killed by me

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The last boss of Golden Deer was an animal. I randomly chose who to S support and it was Ingrid. Since I maxed out all my supports if I do a female MC in the future it'll be easy to purchase all the B supports of everyone to recruit them again.

This was easily the best game I played on my Switch and a top 5 game this generation. The DS Fore Emblem games were ok but this one is magnificent.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'm about to beat Golden Deer and I thing I'll be done with this game after that. Playing the Black Eagle alternative route and Golden Deer have shown me the vast majority of the story. I've got about 96 hours into the game. First playthrough took about 60 and with the second due to new game plus features I cut it in half. There's too much of this game that repeats itself between paths though. Most of part 1 is the same regardless of what house you choose.

I will say this though, I found my time with this game to be more enjoyable than say Persona 5 of which I spend a bit more than 100 hours playing. Got burned out on Persona 5 as I was playing it. I'm not really burned out on this but I'm also not trying to play through part 1 again for the third time.

The makers of this game succeeded in what they set out to be but part of the makeup of the game also hurts it. By that I mean (if you've started part II this probably isn't a spoiler but I'll hide it anyway)
most of the cast of the game are inconsequential to it. this is in part because anybody can die. You become an instructor to these kids and bond with them then possibly have to kill them in the future war and it's kinda emotional to have to do that but at the same time most of the kids exist in a bubble completely isolated from the main plot. the people that you recruit from other houses don't appear in the cut scenes you talk to them around the monastery and do their supports and that's it. they're divorced from the rest of the game. in one path in part 2 I only saw most of the other cast members when they randomly popped up on the battlefield shortly to be defeated and killed by me

I agree with this and its unusual because other FEs arent really like this. You usually have an opportunity to recruit unique characters if you talk to them with certain units or meet certain conditions but that doesnt happen in this game.

You have to wonder if that was a conscious decision or if they ran out of time to include that into the game. Im sure they wanted more students to be involved in the plot too because outside of your current house the only characters that matter are the leaders of the other houses and their sidekicks.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I agree with this and its unusual because other FEs arent really like this. You usually have an opportunity to recruit unique characters if you talk to them with certain units or meet certain conditions but that doesnt happen in this game.

You have to wonder if that was a conscious decision or if they ran out of time to include that into the game. Im sure they wanted more students to be involved in the plot too because outside of your current house the only characters that matter are the leaders of the other houses and their sidekicks.
I doubt it. It's the Mass Effect syndrome. Between 2 and 3 since anybody in 2's cast could potentially die 3 had a mostly different cast. You can recruit from other houses so there were too many variables to account for. In some playthroughs characters might or might not be recruited to your house. Too difficult to make a plot that involves everyone but still gives that option.

They basically made a plot where the only people important and involved in it aren't recruitable which are the leaders and the sidekicks.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang

Yeah, that's another reason why I didn't bother recruiting much in the other houses. Part of me wishes that they didn't let them be recruitable at all to give those characters more opportunity for depth in their own routes.

I think one of the reasons they allow you to recruit so much is due to the permadeath mechanic which I feel like they may as well get rid of at this point. It's an interesting concept but it has never really added to the series IMO, especially since I never let anyone die.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Perma-death doesn't have enough effect on the story to justify it's existence. Friends and family members dying and everyone going around like nothing happened cause it's not possible to script out all the scenarios necessary.

I'm playing on casual. Sue me :mj:
I am playing on Hard though as well. With Shamir, Byleth, Edelgard I can't imagine how easy normal is. Some of my other units are starting to be busted as well.
Do not sleep on Bernadetta

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I like playing with perma-death on because even tho I usually restart the game or use divine pulse if a character dies, it forces you to be more strategic to win the battle without anyone dying. I feel like you could somewhat cheese your way through and have units suicide attack w/o consequence without permadeath enabled

Beat the game on hard/classic yesterday tho

Im kinda sad the shyt ends so abruptly after the final battle, I wish you could still mess around and do side quests or auxiliary battles or something. ima miss my Golden Deer squad. I don’t know if I got the heart to kill them whenever I do a Blue Lions playthrough :mjcry:

Also, what’s up with the lvl 99 level cap? How tf would you even get there?:mjtf:

Supercoolmayo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Master Roshi's Island
I like playing with perma-death on because even tho I usually restart the game or use divine pulse if a character dies, it forces you to be more strategic to win the battle without anyone dying. I feel like you could somewhat cheese your way through and have units suicide attack w/o consequence without permadeath enabled

Beat the game on hard/classic yesterday tho

Im kinda sad the shyt ends so abruptly after the final battle, I wish you could still mess around and do side quests or auxiliary battles or something. ima miss my Golden Deer squad. I don’t know if I got the heart to kill them whenever I do a Blue Lions playthrough :mjcry:

Also, what’s up with the lvl 99 level cap? How tf would you even get there?:mjtf:

I think normal mode lets you have unlimited skirmishes

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Only up to Chapter 4...What are the quickest ways to increase your Professor Level?

Outside of picking the right answer when a student ask questions during lecture.

You get that by sharing meals with your students, cooking with your students, gardening, participating in tournaments, participating in prayer with students and fishing.

The key for was exploring the monastery
twice a month unless I needed the experience from doing two battles in the same month. That is for months when I could only do 3 actions. Obviously for months where I could do 4 actions I would do Explore battle explore battle rotation.