Final Fantasy VII Remake:Part1. INTERmission DLC (6/10/21).

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
over a third of ff7 OG was fluff or roundabout nonsense :mjlol:

as bad as shinra tower was, its still better than a dumb RTS minigame you had to complete to even get to Juno. and the backtracking being bad in 7R? man, the OG legit threw out 4 different forms of restrictive travel just to stretch out the game out another dozen hours.
yal really don't remember running in circles through gold saucer just to get to run through gold saucer again huh :skip:

You can’t compare game design in 97 to 2020. We’ve come to far. Especially since ff7 was one of the first of its kind.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Run up the side of a building being thrown at you at 100mph but can’t climb over a 10 foot wall :dead:
do you remember the dumbass stealth sections of the OG tower :leostare:

or how the climb from the slums was platforming garbage based around swinging cables that were jank as fukk - instead of a whole ass transitional boss sequence and better character development in one chapter than he had in all of the original :leostare:

i love ff7 but cmon now. the game was flawed as fukk
You can’t compare game design in 97 to 2020. We’ve come to far. Especially since ff7 was one of the first of its kind.
it wasn't tho :gucci: old ass chrono trigger was a better game and did more with less. shyt, ff7 wasn't even better than 6

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
do you remember the dumbass stealth sections of the OG tower :leostare:

or how the climb from the slums was platforming garbage based around swinging cables that were jank as fukk - instead of a whole ass transitional boss sequence and better character development in one chapter than he had in all of the original :leostare:

i love ff7 but cmon now. the game was flawed as fukk

it wasn't tho :gucci: old ass chrono trigger was a better game and did more with less. shyt, ff7 wasn't even better than 6

It was. how many 3d cinematic Jrpgs existed in 97?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
It was. how many 3d cinematic Jrpgs existed in 97?
there was a flood of them all being developed at the same time and shyt wild arms came out first. Headline junkies always act like FF7 was the only thing to break the seal but it was just Squaresoft having the biggest bag ready to go. Within 8 months there was a flood 3D JRPGs. Almost like they were all part of some next gen push :jbhmm:

And again, just being 3D isn't some pass to do shyt that wouldn't fit in Chrono Trigger or FF6. A new engine doesn't make Cid stop being a poorly written not-quite-but-if-he-was wife beater at worse/abusive husband at best. FF7 could've been on Gameboy Advance and being forced to trace the shorelines around the planet would've been just as stupid.

Whiffing the monkey bars with Tifa in 2020 really ain't the same.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
there was a flood of them all being developed at the same time and shyt wild arms came out first. Headline junkies always act like FF7 was the only thing to break the seal but it was just Squaresoft having the biggest bag ready to go. Within 8 months there was a flood 3D JRPGs. Almost like they were all part of some next gen push :jbhmm:

And again, just being 3D isn't some pass to do shyt that wouldn't fit in Chrono Trigger or FF6. A new engine doesn't make Cid stop being a poorly written not-quite-but-if-he-was wife beater at worse/abusive husband at best. FF7 could've been on Gameboy Advance and being forced to trace the shorelines around the planet would've been just as stupid.

Whiffing the monkey bars with Tifa in 2020 really ain't the same.

There was a lot of goofy gameplay decisions in rpgs around that time, and yeah a lot of it was fluff. But that was 23 years ago. There’s no excuse to be chasing fukking cats in a game in 2020, and they did the same goofy shyt in FF15.

And i wouldn’t call things like wild arms, saga frontier, final fantasy tactics, BoF, etc cinematic at all. Final Fantasy was in a lane of its own which is what put the series on the map. You play with a different set of rules when you’re making games on that scale.

At the time ff7-ff9 were like what sony 1st party games are now. They were in a lane by themselves with maybe metal gear solid and resident evil somewhere near them

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
you keep saying cinematic....

im talking straight up dumb shyt - that would be dumb in any generation in any context. being 3D or 'first' has nothing to do with that stuff. especially when you're talking filler and characters of all things :unimpressed:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
you keep saying cinematic....

im talking straight up dumb shyt - that would be dumb in any generation in any context. being 3D or 'first' has nothing to do with that stuff. especially when you're talking filler and characters of all things :unimpressed:

What I’m saying is just because the original game had dumb shyt in it doesn’t mean i want to play that same kind of dumb shyt 23 years later.

I have no inclination to play the original ff7 again because of the way it aged. Playing the new one is supposed to alleviate the tedium.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
What I’m saying is just because the original game had dumb shyt in it doesn’t mean i want to play that same kind of dumb shyt 23 years later.

I have no inclination to play the original ff7 again because of the way it aged. Playing the new one is supposed to alleviate the tedium.

You do realize you can skip right past those sidequests right and it doesn't effect the story at all. You complaining about a bunch of nothing.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

but its not worse than the OG when it comes to those things :leostare: you don't want to say the side characters in the OG were better than in the remake

I love the OG too but this is real shaky and revisionist just to be turning your nose up ijs

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You do realize you can skip right past those sidequests right and it doesn't effect the story at all. You complaining about a bunch of nothing.

Yes, even less to do. I mean I’m not complaining I’m explaining why i don’t love teh game, yall the ones getting defensive about it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
but its not worse than the OG when it comes to those things :leostare: you don't want to say the side characters in the OG were better than in the remake

I love the OG too but this is real shaky and revisionist just to be turning your nose up ijs

A lot of the side quest, new characters, stories/missions, and changes in the new game are jsut as bad if not worse than the OG game to me. The OG at least has an excuse being stuck in 1997.

There’s been too many good RPGs released in the last two decades for me to want to collect shyt or find cats

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
"tHe MaJoRiTy Of WeApOnS"

I can never understand when people moan and cry about stuff they haven't seen happen yet. Just relax bredda.

This is a good point, but while playing the remake, I couldn't help but wonder how SE would handle balancing the progression of materia & weapons for future iterations of the game. Like, we haven't even left Midgar and it's very likely that most people have already mastered significant portions of their materia, even with little grinding. Will Part 2 have players starting completely from scratch, or will they be able to continue using their level 50 characters? If they go with the former, will they throw in another plot device like time demons to try to explain the change, or will people just have to deal with the ludonarrative dissonance?

I think a lot of this goes back to the problem pointed out earlier, that this seemed to be a stand-alone experience rather than a piece of a fully thought out, episodic one. That being said, I absolutely loved the game, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't also parts that I absolutely hated.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is a good point, but while playing the remake, I couldn't help but wonder how SE would handle balancing the progression of materia & weapons for future iterations of the game. Like, we haven't even left Midgar and it's very likely that most people have already mastered significant portions of their materia, even with little grinding. Will Part 2 have players starting completely from scratch, or will they be able to continue using their level 50 characters? If they go with the former, will they throw in another plot device like time demons to try to explain the change, or will people just have to deal with the ludonarrative dissonance?

I think a lot of this goes back to the problem pointed out earlier, that this seemed to be a stand-alone experience rather than a piece of a fully thought out, episodic one. That being said, I absolutely loved the game, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't also parts that I absolutely hated.

Thats all I’m saying, like the only difference for me is the HIGHS for me weren’t enough to offset the lows. I’m not even saying i hate the game, on a metacritic scale I’d give it a 78-80 maybe.

I just don’t feel like this game was like a small part of a bigger picture feels like they wanted to remake the midgar with no plan or idea of how to integrate or balance it with the rest of the releases. And Midgar wasn’t even my favorite part of the original game, so it’s like an entire game where I don’t even get the experience of hitting the world map after wasn’t satisfying in that regard either.

I remember feeling so free once i left midgar in the original.