The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
@Nicole0416 as an afro-latina, how do you feel about this? :jbhmm:

Do I feel good about me- if that's what ur asking? Yes, I'm black. But just because you embrace the Latina side doesn't mean you can't embrace the African part. Like being afro Latina doesn't mean you can ignore the "afro" side of your race.
Not really paying attention to these 'celebrity' afro- Latinas; they're part of the industry- they have that mindset where they play this neutral position in order to keep getting acting roles or have a sense of identity with white people to stay relevant; they promote this "mixed race" or "I'm me" type of narrative. Didn't read all through the details in the OP but from what I know; seems they try to downplay the African or black part of their background. Like Zoe Saldana - she married white and goes on to say that she's doesn't want to be categorized as "Latina, or black Latina, woman".. that she only wants to be a "Zoe":troll:, girl please, you are dark skinned, my complexion and yet she doesn't want to be categorized??? huh...? they see her, like I see her.. as a black woman. Juju - I've seen her interviews.. idk.. sometimes she seems sketch. Like she's trying too hard to prove to people that she is Latina bc she's doesn't look racially ambiguous. She goes on the Spanish speaking podcasts or on some AA radio interviews with this vibe about her- and over sensationalizes or is extra hype when she switches over from talking English to Spanish..
Then Carmelo talking about he identifies as "mixed race". Puerto Rican is not a race, Dominican is not a race. There's no confusion. Ginna Torres and Laz Alonso, I have respect for, because Gina always says that she's African American first and I've heard many times say that she is a black woman, fuk all that mixed race or having identity issues. Both her and Laz reference their Cuban background as part of their cultural identity (which is the same position that I have). Lauren Velez, I could see her issue too in that people expect the European (spain, argentina, colombia) parts of Latin America (as in Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek); because her African features are more dominant.

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
A) dark skinned people gotta stop calling themselves black because it's colorism.
B) having dark skin doesn't make someone black.
C)Being from Africa doesn't make someone black.
D)Having African ancestry doesn't make someone black.
E)African Americans are the only group of black people on the planet.
F)People can be Afro whatever but that doesn't make them black.
G)Latinos play a sick game of being white or black(if they can pass) I know Mexicans from Mexico that call themselves white. I guess they're Euro-Latinos AKA Hispanics. LOL I wasn't supposed to say that, was I?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Then Carmelo talking about he identifies as "mixed race". Puerto Rican is not a race, Dominican is not a race. There's no confusion.

When people say that they are "mixed race", by saying they are dominican, costa rican, puerto rican, cuba, etc, do you think they clumsily saying that they are Hispanic? And do you categorize Hispanic as a race or ethnicity? Or just a culture?

SeveroDrgnfli

Daps
Reppin
Always
:dwillhuh:

Could you explain how please? Why would AA being the only black people on the planet, but Afro-Brazilians are not?
It does require an explanation because it's my definition.

IMO:
If you don't have American roots you're not black. IDGAF if you're from Africa or a slave or whatever. Black is an ethnicity with a cultural component, a North American one to be specific.

Colorism has conditioned generations of people to use black as a blanket term for anyone with African heritage or what people call dark skin. It's devalued AA culture and taken it from AA.

I am AA and I am Black. My people's tongue is English and we have roots in the US. When I go visit my family I go to The South. Not South America or South Africa.

We're all African but only AA are black, by my definition black has a cultural and historic component included in the definition.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
It is okay for them to call themselves multiracial or biracial. But why are some of them (not all because some of these people are 'actually Black' aka monoracial) claiming our shyt? The words 'multiracial' or 'biracial' and 'Black' are not synonymous.
So out of the group in the OP, who's black and who isn't?
I say the same thing. He’s just a regular nikka from Baltimore. But ever since he cut his braids he’s been trying to get in tune with his PR side more. :mjpls: You can’t tell him he’s not Puerto Rican. Same thing with nikkas like Juelz Santana and Fabolous.
Outside of their rap sheet of women Juelz and Fabolous don't do much to assert their Latino sides.

Only one claimed to be black doe:francis:
How?
A) dark skinned people gotta stop calling themselves black because it's colorism.
G)Latinos play a sick game of being white or black(if they can pass) I know Mexicans from Mexico that call themselves white. I guess they're Euro-Latinos AKA Hispanics. LOL I wasn't supposed to say that, was I?
Everything outside of G was nonsense :heh:

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika

:russ: terrible and historically and socially inaccurate post :russ:

I thought it was satirical at first but apparently not :dead:

SeveroDrgnfli

Daps
Reppin
Always
:russ: terrible and historically and socially inaccurate post :russ:

I thought it was satirical at first but apparently not :dead:
Edit: NVM, I'm down to discuss this with you but you started out insulting me. That's not what someone does when they want to discuss something. I'm straight. Lets fast forward this conversation into what you want it to be. You're a fakkit. We saved ourselves a lot of time.

Last edited:

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Prove me wrong. I'll wait for your documentation.

:mjlol: I'm not spending time debunking that nonsense post just like I wouldn't for someone who denies gravity is real. Anyone reading knows it was nonsense.

But I'll bite, briefly. Ask yourself why Amadou Diallo was murdered and then think through what that means for each of the first six ridiculous points you listed.

T'krm

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
BA DOS Af pr
People too often are uneducated, and stuck on stupid...and yeah, that incl many in la cultura who excise any relationship to 'Blackness'!

Last edited: